• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best 5 dress watches under $1K, a contest

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
What are you people talking about? Complications do not disqualify a watch from being a dress watch, including chronograph complications. Are you trying to say that this is a sports watch?

I think not. For quite some time, watchmakers showed off their prowess through exceptional finishing and tricky complications. The most complicated watches out there were intended for formal occasions. In fact, the trickiest of complications, like tourbillons, perpetual calendars, and minute repeaters are much more closely associated with dress watches than sport watches. It wasn't until the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak that companies started applying the mentality behind high end dress watches to sport watches.

markfjh

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Daniel Wellington watches?

Specifically this Dankel Wellington Bristol

dw_40r_bristol_1.jpg

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
these 3 are all pretty similar in style I know. I got the Seiko for ~$60 and now that I have it there's a lot less impulse to spend anything more for a watch... at least for the time being.
http://www.junghanswatchesusa.net/041446400-Max-Bill-Quartz_p_359.html

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sgeg67.html

http://www.jomashop.com/frederique-constant-watch-303s5b6.html

throw in the Intramatic and the Antea and that's my list. Also the Seiko Blue Spark is a nice looking watch but I guess they're very hard to find, apparently they were discontinued in 2010.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are you people talking about? Complications do not disqualify a watch from being a dress watch, including chronograph complications. Are you trying to say that this is a sports watch?

No, but that's a false dichotomy. While it's not a true dress watch if you stick to the strict definition of the term, it doesn't automatically mean it's a sports watch.

There's a lot of middle ground between a pure dress watch and a pure sports watch. For the sake of this thread, let's just assume we're talking about ones that are on the "dressy" (or "smart" for the Brits) end of the scale, which that freaking gorgeous Vacheron most certainly is.

And damn, what's the deal with afterthought date windows marooned in the middle of dials? I wish companies would just leave it off it if they can't do it right; I picture tumbleweeds inside a mostly-empty case when I see one. It's not a problem that's limited to cheaper watches, either.

Last edited:

meyekal

Reaction score
OK, here is 1 shot. Some duplicates of earlier entries

Beijing Watch Factory. Beihai 2.0

Junghans Max Bill

Seiko Sarb033

Seiko Sarb065

Stowa Antea

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No-date versions of the Max Bill and Stowa Antea are solid picks; both offer great versatility and distinctive non-knockoff designs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads