• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke overcoat: worth it?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
ET, isn't that picture from Savile Row Master Tailor Darren Beaman's site? Have you been using him?

Yes and No. I only used the pic to demonstrate the style of overcoats I favor.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Today it reached a frightful 66 F (19C). But who cares if that means it was as warm as London today. If it is officially winter, one is obligated to wear them. One cannot call oneself dressed without one after all.

Do you seriously wear an overcoat in 66 F weather?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Do you seriously wear an overcoat in 66 F weather?

Do you seriously expect me to leave the house without one in winter (along with hat, gloves and umbrella)?
eek.gif

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you seriously expect me to leave the house without one in winter (along with hat, gloves and umbrella)?
eek.gif

No, I suppose I wouldn't expect you to leave home in "winter" in anything less.
wink.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, although the official temperature states a peak temperature of 19C, the average temperature felt much cooler with a frosty wind. It is 12C (53F) at the moment (past midnight). Central heating is also rare and I have heard Siberians complain of the cold here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Mafoo, I don't think you'll be happy unless you get a bespoke overcoat from Rubinacci.

Maybe not, but I figure I can buy something much cheaper to last me a few years. I haven't inquired, but I imagine the price of a cashmere Rubinacci coat is going to be unpleasant.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear top hats and ride in a horse carriage to complete the costume?
I agree that MTM would be an excellent option for a looser fitting style of overcoat. Old American tailoring manuals call such overcoats "oversacks". However, I do like the idea of a more bespoke, sharply fitted style of overcoat:
frockovercoatmar1903vy1.jpg
paletotdec1909ti8.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe not, but I figure I can buy something much cheaper to last me a few years. I haven't inquired, but I imagine the price of a cashmere Rubinacci coat is going to be unpleasant.

It's at times like these, maybe we should bring back the cape, at least for labor/cost savings...
laugh.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

I'm not a big fan of cashmere. I would suggest you get a regular woolen overcoat - I imagine the price would be the same as a two-piece suit.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm not a big fan of cashmere. I would suggest you get a regular woolen overcoat...

Have you found cashmere too fragile? I have an orylag/cashmere polo coat that has impressed me with its stoutness.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A good cashmere should hold up well as an overcoat or sportcoat. I've not found any fragility in H&S, Harrisons or Scabal cashmeres. The cheap stuff is cheap, but what do you expect? In an overcoat, I feel that cashmere is optimal with tweed being nice for a second or third coat. Were I to go RTW, I would probably get a raglan style coat.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Have you found cashmere too fragile? I have an orylag/cashmere polo coat that has impressed me with its stoutness.

No, fragility is not the issue. I just don't like the cashmere 'look' - hard to explain, but that is just my taste. I much prefer woolens.

Btw, there are some overcoatings in cashmere that are available at the same price as the Scabal, Harrison's and Minnis woolens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads