• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke overcoat: worth it?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Have you found cashmere too fragile? I have an orylag/cashmere polo coat that has impressed me with its stoutness.

Not "too" fragile, but I've found that they aren't as sturdy as my woolens.( I wear topcoats pretty hard) I don't see myself getting a cashmere topcoat again in the near future.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my bespoke topcoat

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone just tell me what the breamish joke is already? I feel like I'm way behind on the inside jokes.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Can someone just tell me what the breamish joke is already? I feel like I'm way behind on the inside jokes.

+1

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This question of fragility is interesting. I suppose since your overcoat ends up being worn almost everyday in the winter through all sorts of weather and is always the outermost layer, it gets a disproportionate amount of wear compared to suits.

Still ... I've only ever seen one ruined overcoat and that was by a schoolmate who had a tendency to wear his overcoat in the rain instead of using an umbrella. Every time I saw that overcoat, it seemed to croak "please just burn me".

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

Morel got some tweed undies and now he's all breamish.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of overcoat you want. A loose fitting raglan sleeved coat can probably be found RTW in a fabric you like with no real drop-down in appeal. A fitted coat, or one with a generously flared skirt is likely to be hard to find outside of bespoke. I have a bespoke DB guard style coat and it could not be had RTW, I am sure. Both because of the coat and the material (which may not be available bespoke anymore either as the mill is gone). I also have a RWT raglan overcoat that is 22 years old and would cost a small bundle to bring back to top condition. I could probably find a suitable replacement RTW though I will likely just get it copied.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mafoofan,

Sounds like you're somewhat turned off by the expected price of this venture. I personally would spend a little time finding a RTW that suits the needs you have.

Then have it fine tuned by an excellent tailor, and call it a day until some of your current expenses are past.

I can appreciate that you like to have everything perfected, but it may be wise financially to do something besides bespoke.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe not, but I figure I can buy something much cheaper to last me a few years. I haven't inquired, but I imagine the price of a cashmere Rubinacci coat is going to be unpleasant.

Bah, not much more than a dinner suit, I'd expect, and likely to be used a lot more often.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito
http://www.pecoraginza.com/blog/500.jpg

How's a coat like this to be tailored at Rubinacci??

I don't really understand the question, but mine tailored at Rubinacci is nearly identical. The one you show has a horrendously high breast pocket which throws everything off for me, but that is beside the point.
oc_005_Medium.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A nice Ulster Matt. Did you get a half-belt on the back?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't really understand the question, but mine tailored at Rubinacci is nearly identical. The one you show has a horrendously high breast pocket which throws everything off for me, but that is beside the point.

oc_005_Medium.jpg

Beautiful coat, great colour. You can tell it's of the same lineage as your suits too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
A nice Ulster Matt. Did you get a half-belt on the back?

Yes, here is a pic:
oc_006_Medium.jpg

Originally Posted by yfyf
Beautiful coat, great colour. You can tell it's of the same lineage as your suits too.

Thanks. As I said, I rarely wear it, so I am sure I will have it for a good long while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads