Bespoke overcoat: worth it?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Well, I'm going to need a coat to wear over my suits and sportcoats sooner or later. But unlike suits and sportcoats, I imagine the fit does not need to be as particular. So the question is whether it is worth getting one made bespoke, which would be much pricier, or if I would be better off going MTM through a place like Brooks Brothers or J. Press. Thoughts?

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Having tasted the Milanese drape cut, do you still find Brooks suit jackets to be comfortable? If so, you will doubtless be well-satisfied with their overcoats.

3. mafoofan

Having tasted the Milanese drape cut, do you still find Brooks suit jackets to be comfortable? If so, you will doubtless be well-satisfied with their overcoats.

Milanese? Didn't you hear, I'm a Naples troll?

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I routinely see cashmere overcoats from high end makers in 36 and 38 (around your size, I'm assuming). Just do RTW or MTM.

5. itsraylamb

itsraylamb Active Member

I have thought about it. I cannot justify it. Like you I am building the wardrobe basics and I simply do not spend enough time in my coat to pay the extra cheese. MTM, done deal.

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Well, I'm going to need a coat to wear over my suits and sportcoats sooner or later. But unlike suits and sportcoats, I imagine the fit does not need to be as particular. So the question is whether it is worth getting one made bespoke, which would be much pricier, or if I would be better off going MTM through a place like Brooks Brothers or J. Press. Thoughts?

Wrong-o. IMO the fit of an overcoat is as important as that of a suit - assuming you want it to be "fitted". If you're just looking for a loose covering, OTR has any number of selections. I, for one, am completely dissatisfied with the fit of RTW overcoats. Sheesh, it looks like I gained 20 pounds! ( and it's all in the lousy cut)

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you have any design in mind? Were I to bespeak an overcoat, it would be a spectacular thing unlike what can found on the rack. That, to me, would be the impetus, rather than fit.

8. mafoofan

Wrong-o. IMO the fit of an overcoat is as important as that of a suit - assuming you want it to be "fitted". If you're just looking for a loose covering, OTR has any number of selections. I, for one, am completely dissatisfied with the fit of RTW overcoats. Sheesh, it looks like I gained 20 pounds! ( and it's all in the lousy cut)

Well, I figured that MTM might help in that regard. RTW won't work for me in all likelihood.

Do you have any design in mind? Were I to bespeak an overcoat, it would be a spectacular thing unlike what can found on the rack. That, to me, would be the impetus, rather than fit.

Not really, but if I did go bespoke, I would certainly think about it.

9. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

A bespoke overcoat is well worth it. Finding satisfactory fitted overcoats that will still accommodate a suit underneath is a pretty big challenge. I'd post mine, but it's too damn hot to even look at.

10. spectre

spectre Senior member

I'm probably talking to the wrong person here, but I have two SB pure cashmere overcoats, in navy and camel, from Baroni, made in Italy, which fit me superbly. They are under $500 I think which is astonishing. I'm a 40R in my Cornelianis, Carusos and so on and sized down to a 38R for the Baroni. It is wonderfully light and fits me perfectly. The material is gorgeous and the design very understated, but of course if you don't want a Baroni hanging in your wardrobe, you'll have to go elsewhere and pay much more for the same result.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whatever. Foreign.

Don't stint on the coat after your basic needs are covered. You'll appreciate it every time you wear it-- and it will get more wear than a suit in cold weather. And don't bother to go nuts on the style. Good cut and workmanship are enough.

12. kcc

kcc Senior member

If so, then why not try Panico. I'm sure MR wouldn't notice.

RL Blue label makes a better overcoat than the two you've mentioned, however.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The price paid for high quality bespoke is always worth it.

14. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

RL Blue label makes a better overcoat than the two you've mentioned, however.

The old USA made Polo overcoats are particularly fantastic.

Mafoo - what have you been wearing all this time in Chicago?

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I love mine, but I only get to wear it a couple of times a year. I think that it will be worth it if my size doesn't change over time, because I sure as hell won't wear it out. I agree with Yachtie that you will see a big difference.