1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bangle BMW's

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Aaron, May 24, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Andre,

Have you read what I have written? I have said that the only current BMW I like is the Z4, in both roadster and coupe form. Incidentally it tends to be the most hated design by people who love all the other Bangle-era cars.

Jon.

2. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

The cars looks fine. The trouble is BMW always looked better than Mercedes. Now Mercedes is the better looker, and that is a failure for BMW.

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

hey now!

Fair point. The XJ40 may be a soulless, insipid, death-throes-of-British-Leyland attempt at riding the coattails of Sir William Lyons' inspired XJ-6 S1/S2 that was refined to perfection by Pininfarina (XJ-6 S3), but it is not really comparable the Bangle designs.

Unlike Bangle BMWs or other notable design failures such as the Triumph TR7 or Fiat Multipla its reach does not exceed its grasp.

Then again, isn't the Multipla a Bangle design, too?

4. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

A public service message from Bob the Angry Flower regarding the title of this thread (honestly, he forced me to post it).

[​IMG]

Shit...thanks Nantucket...I should know better.

A.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The cars looks fine. The trouble is BMW always looked better than Mercedes. Now Mercedes is the better looker, and that is a failure for BMW.

I have to disagree. Mercedes have always had good (great) exterior design (SSK, 540K Spezial Roadster, 300 SL Gullwing / Roadster, W196, SLR, Pagoda SL, SL500, S-Class, etc...). The interiors were always quite bad in execution; that is to say, they used quality materials, but were always appalling when it came to design and ergonomics. Whereas I always found that BMW sometimes had to keep up with Mercedes in terms of exterior design and only really started to surpass them in the late 70's / early 80's. Which is coincidentally around the same time BMW started to really forge ahead, taking quite a bit of MB's market share.

The BMW's interiors however, were always well designed, and really showed their "╦ťultimate driving machine' mantra by having the cockpit skewed towards the driver a-la fighter jet. Also, the ergonomics and placement of the switches and controls on BMW's have always been excellent (until iDrive).

Jon.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

German car interiors were always inferior to English car interiors.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

German car interiors were always inferior to English car interiors.

Not really. Check out an X-Type and an A4 and tell me which one is better made / uses better materials.

Jon.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Not really. Check out an X-Type and an A4 and tell me which one is better made / uses better materials. Jon.
    Well, I meant in terms of vintage. Vintage post-war German cars had a sometime fondness for leatherette and subdued plastics unless we are talking about the rather rare coupes like the 1958 220S or something of that nature. Now there are really no true English firms.

9. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Not really. Check out an X-Type and an A4 and tell me which one is better made / uses better materials.

I wasn't aware that Dearborn was in the UK...

10. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Not that you cannot hold both opnions, but you realize these are mutually exclusive? The E46 is a late 90's design that came well before Bangle was promoted up. The first design to be put into production under his reign was the E65/66 7-series around 2001 or so.

That said, the E46 is a beautiful car. The E36 and E30 are also beautiful. From what I've seen of the 3 series and the conceptuals/spyshots, I don't think the new E9x M3 will do the previous cars justice.

I actually meant to say E90, but I slipped up. I do also like the E46. The only M3 design that doesn't really do much for me is the E36. It's a great car, and it looks pretty good, but it's just a little too bland for what it is. You should be able to tell a sports car when you see it.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I wasn't aware that Dearborn was in the UK...

?

Jon.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Bangle's car designs suck. I truly hate them. They are hideous. Thank goodness BMW can engineer well. One of my friends has the new M5 and constantly laughs about how hideous it is. Even owners think the damn things are hideous. It's a good thing some of them can drive well. But damn are they gross.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Modern cars like many contemporary designs have the ability to make themselves instant unclassics.

The new Rolls Royce cars are like mini Hummers.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

?

Jon.

jaguar is owned by ford. the ford guys are calling the shots, so it's difficult to see the modern jags as english designs.

also, no jaguar aficionado would consider the x-type a 'true' jaguar.

15. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Bangle's car designs suck. I truly hate them. They are hideous. Thank goodness BMW can engineer well. One of my friends has the new M5 and constantly laughs about how hideous it is. Even owners think the damn things are hideous. It's a good thing some of them can drive well. But damn are they gross.

i see nothing wrong with the 6 or 7 series other than the wheels.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

also, no jaguar aficionado would consider the x-type a 'true' jaguar.

Would a Jaguar connoisseur consider any post '60s Jaguar model true?

17. VMan

VMan Senior member

My favorite BMW ever, the M1 [​IMG] [​IMG] I've seen a few on the road, and I have always been amazed. To me, they represent the pinnacle of BMW's engineering and design.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

The new 335 looks awesome, from the pictures I've seen. My only problem with Bangle's designs is that they seem excessively bulky in the rear, which makes them look rather cheap, like Pontiacs (although the 7-series looks great). They just don't have as much soul, compared to the E36, which I love - even the M3, which was criticized earlier as being a bland design. On Bangles philosophy: objects in motion can inspire objects non-moving, and vice versa. Some architecture is considered to have motion to it - compare Copenhagen to Rome. The source of his inspiration isn't what is causing his designs to be un-satisfactory (basically, un-BMWy). The only design that I really don't like of his is the Z4. It's just too weird looking for me, it's got too big of a snout and the design is too blocky for such a sleek car. Though I think the Z3 is even grosser, so I guess I can't criticize it too much. I'm surprised at the previous comment about M-B being better-looking than BMW. M-B is certainly being a lot safer with their designs, but I think since the late 70s, they've just been getting worse and worse. BMW seems to be getting younger, M-B is getting older. I like to think of it this way - if I saw a Bangle-designed BMW (aside from the Z4), but it didn't have a BMW badge on it, would I think it was great looking? Most of the time, yes. That means, IMO, that he's doing a good job. Put the BMW badge on it, and all of the sudden it changes everything, because it has a culture and history and everything... But I digress. I much prefer Japanese. [​IMG]

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My favorite BMW ever, the M1 [​IMG] [​IMG] I've seen a few on the road, and I have always been amazed. To me, they represent the pinnacle of BMW's engineering and design.
    They ALL look good (Even the less than balanced Z3): [​IMG] Jon.

20. briancl

briancl Senior member

I'm with ya.. for part of the way. The M5 is just so much fun that the minor flaws in appearance are easily forgiven. If only the regular 5 series looked half as good. Unfortunately, the car is terribly un-cool.... waaayyy too many buttons and gadgets and things.. and the SMG-II doesn't mate up well, IMO. Still, when my friend let me drive his, I certainly did not turn him down [​IMG]