1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bangle BMW's

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Aaron, May 24, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What do you think of the new M coupe and M6?
    Design wise I actually like both of them.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024014

I like the Z4 and its variants. For liking the M6 I curse you to an Apple store for the rest of your life! [​IMG]

Jon.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The M6 looks like some bizzare Lancia Zagato bonded with a Lexus.

3. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

The Chris Bangle designed BMWs are a huge success.

Designers love him.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I like the Z4 and its variants. For liking the M6 I curse you to an Apple store for the rest of your life! [​IMG] Jon.
    Whats so bad about the M6? Its a much subtler car than the M5. Performance wise, it should be better, seeing as its the same engine/gearbox but with a lighter body and lower drag. Which is bad news for you Audi S8 owners who are still trying to catch up to the M5's of your nightmares.

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

Whats so bad about the M6? Its a much subtler car than the M5. Performance wise, it should be better, seeing as its the same engine/gearbox but with a lighter body and lower drag. Which is bad news for you Audi S8 owners who are still trying to catch up to the M5's of your nightmares.

The M6 is a faster car. However, I actually prefer the styling of the new M5, both interior and exterior, and I like 4 doors. I do not like the gearbox. I've driven a new one, and it feels weird. It's really a shame that BMW no longer offers there M5 with a manual... it just seems... criminal.

As for the M Coupe. I love it. Great additional to the M lineup. With all these cars getting bigger and heavier, it's nice to see a respectable car brand such as BMW not only realizing this, but designing a great car to fill the gap.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Dude, seriously its horrible. The front of the car looks so bad that I can't even see Pontiac designing anything that horrible, and they designed the Aztec! And the rear is just a very bad version of an already bad idea: the bangle-butt. It literately looks like the trunk came from a completely different car and they merely slapped it on the back of this car, which incidentally has an almost 911-like rear end to it when you remove the top part of the trunk (no, seriously look at the side profile of the M6 and then picture the top part of the trunk removed and you see how it completely swoops down to the ground).

Don't even get me started on the interior, which is in a word: FUGLY. This car (the 6-Series / M6) is a complete slap in the face to the original 6-Series. Don't care how many times Bangle talks about "˜sexy lines', the car is ugly and will never be "˜sexy', by any stretch of the imagination.

Jon.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The M6 is a faster car. However, I actually prefer the styling of the new M5, both interior and exterior, and I like 4 doors. I do not like the gearbox. I've driven a new one, and it feels weird. It's really a shame that BMW no longer offers there M5 with a manual... it just seems... criminal.

As for the M Coupe. I love it. Great additional to the M lineup. With all these cars getting bigger and heavier, it's nice to see a respectable car brand such as BMW not only realizing this, but designing a great car to fill the gap.

I read somewhere that they were going to have a 6-speed manual gearbox option for the M5's head Stateside?

Jon.

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I like the Z4 and its variants. For liking the M6 I curse you to an Apple store for the rest of your life! [​IMG]

Jon.

Ummm . . . not quite a fate worse than life.

9. Nantucket Red

Dude, seriously its horrible. The front of the car looks so bad that I can't even see Pontiac designing anything that horrible, and they designed the Aztec! And the rear is just a very bad version of an already bad idea: the bangle-butt. It literately looks like the trunk came from a completely different car and they merely slapped it on the back of this car, which incidentally has an almost 911-like rear end to it when you remove the top part of the trunk (no, seriously look at the side profile of the M6 and then picture the top part of the trunk removed and you see how it completely swoops down to the ground).

Don't even get me started on the interior, which is in a word: FUGLY. This car (the 6-Series / M6) is a complete slap in the face to the original 6-Series. Don't care how many times Bangle talks about "˜sexy lines', the car is ugly and will never be "˜sexy', by any stretch of the imagination.

Jon.

I know you never get tired of cursing Bangle, but you do realize, don't you, that you're speaking for yourself?

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ummm . . . not quite a fate worse than life.
    Ah, but Whose life? Jon.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

12. Nantucket Red

Ah, but Whose life?

Jon.

I guess you've got to be a Buddhist to get that

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I guess you've got to be a Buddhist to get that
    My problem is that I was reincarnated in a new body before leaving my old body. So, I’m actually in two places at once. [​IMG] Jon.

14. Nantucket Red

My problem is that I was reincarnated in a new body before leaving my old body. So, I'm actually in two places at once. [​IMG]

Jon.

Reincarnation is Hindu. Rebirth is Buddist. The difference is subtle. But that's beside the point.

I really like the Bangle 6 series a lot, but perhaps I'm too ugly to go out in public.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Reincarnation is Hindu. Rebirth is Buddist. The difference is subtle. But that's beside the point. I really like the Bangle 6 series a lot, but perhaps I'm too ugly to go out in public.
    I never said anything about Buddhism; I only mentioned my problem [​IMG]. How did you equated the way the car looks with the way you look? Because you like a car that’s ugly (in my opinion) it would not make you ugly... Jon.

16. Nantucket Red

I'm not sure I'd consider being in two places at once a problem. At least not if it enabled me to eliminate my daily commute. [​IMG]

I too have criticisms of the Bangle designs, but I find they have their merits.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a personal axe to grind. Did he really do that much violence to your aesthetic sense?

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm not sure I'd consider being in two places at once a problem. At least not if it enabled me to eliminate my daily commute. [​IMG]

I too have criticisms of the Bangle designs, but I find they have their merits.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a personal axe to grind. Did he really do that much violence to your aesthetic sense?

Indeed they do, especially since I was until now, a life long BMW fan. When my friends were dreaming of Firebirds and Camaro's I was dreaming of 968's and M3's... where I live you see a BMW every 20 seconds, and the hideousness of the cars builds up rather quickly and I get quite saturated with them. Although, I think the word "˜violence' is a bit extreme, no?

I do like the front of the new 3-Series coupe (E92) (which incidentally is a throwback to the E46...), and think it's a lot better executed than the 3-Series sedan (E90). The 5er is passable, but only if they change those damn headlights. The interiors of the cars, save for the Z4 are totally different than generations past and are too complex to use, not designed for easy driver operation (iDrive anyone?) and not aesthetically pleasing (to me).

Which merits in particular do you find with the Bangle designs?

Jon.

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Dude, seriously its horrible. The front of the car looks so bad that I can't even see Pontiac designing anything that horrible, and they designed the Aztec!

I think the front looks BETTER than any of the other BMW's of recent years. the headlights are finally returning to a normal-ish shape, the grille is tasteful it seems proportionate.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Bangle trunk spoiler, but if you took the trunk off and went with the 911 rear end, it would look out of proportion. that being said, at least this car isn't a 7 series.

In your opinion. I like it. And I hate apples. Just try not to be too embarrased when one of these things passes you when you think you are "driving fast".

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In your opinion. I like it. And I hate apples. Just try not to be too embarrased when one of these things passes you when you think you are "driving fast".

You are intertwining two very separate issues: design and engineering. I don't think that anyone thinks that BMW's are anything but amazingly well engineered. And of course a 5.0-liter V10 is going to be more powerful than my 2.0-liter Turbo 4.

Jon.

20. Nantucket Red

I remember admiring the 2002s back in the '70s, so I suppose I am also a life-long BMW fan. I consider my brother's '97 M3 aesthetically delightful. When they changed that design, it felt to me as if they fixed something that wasn't broke.

The Bangle designs have grown on me. I actually like the trunk design as a solution that adds trunk space and provides an aerodynamic benefit while eliminating the conspicuous spoiler, a feature I find tasteless. The first time I saw the 650 convertible, I stopped dead in my tracks. It was love at first sight.

Of course, the first time I saw the Bangle 7 series, I stopped dead in my tracks thinking less than charitable thoughts about the direction the brand was going in, not to mention the dubious taste and gullibility of the owner. Perhaps Bangle designs are an acquired taste, and no one's required to like them.