• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVOID buying Allen Edmonds seconds shoes or AE shoes from Nordstrom’s Rack.

Shiny

Reaction score

Hey bruh, no one in their right mind is going to listen to you. You bought sub-standard shoes. The reason AE didn't want to sell them as firsts is because there's a good chance some **** like this would happen to them, and then they'd have to fix them. Just because you weren't aware of AE's policy doesn't mean AE is at fault. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Quit your trolling about this.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, as per the thread title and his latest post, he is simply saying to avoid purchasing AE seconds, not firsts.

Also, some AE models (in first quality) are notorious for having a bowing issue. I don't know if this is why this particular pair of shoes was marked as second quality. Most likely, there was some cosmetic flaw that got them downgraded to seconds. I'd bet the AE factory has no way of knowing which shoes will exhibit bowing in the future.

Also, I'm not sure AE is supposed to release shoes with structural flaws as seconds. Knowingly doing this would seem unacceptable to me.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of black Hastings about a month ago from Nordstrom's Rack. From eyes, there doesn't seem to be a single thing wrong with them (and I use AE polish, shoe trees, cleaner/conditioner, etc.). Eventually these shoes will need to be recrafted. Will AE recraft these shoes (at my expense, of course) or despite being purchased from the Rack? I understand a warranty wouldn't apply to them (nor do I need one), however, not being able to have them recrafted would suck :)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I purchased a pair of black Hastings about a month ago from Nordstrom's Rack.  From eyes, there doesn't seem to be a single thing wrong with them (and I use AE polish, shoe trees, cleaner/conditioner, etc.).  Eventually these shoes will need to be recrafted.  Will AE recraft these shoes (at my expense, of course) or despite being purchased from the Rack?  I understand a warranty wouldn't apply to them (nor do I need one), however, not being able to have them recrafted would suck :)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/upload/PDF/recrafting/Recrafting_FAQ.pdf

:teach:

deburn

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. Nowhere does Nordstrom Rack state that their shoes are structurally deficient. They are priced lower for many reasons, one of them being visual defects, but not structural.

This is like saying that items bought at an outlet mall, where millions of Americans shop, are defective.

I have never bought shoes from the Rack but I know that AEs are typically around $200.00. That's a pretty substantial price (for most people) to pay for something that can't stand up to normal wear and tear.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. Nowhere does Nordstrom Rack state that their shoes are structurally deficient. They are priced lower for many reasons, one of them being visual defects, but not structural.

This is like saying that items bought at an outlet mall, where millions of Americans shop, are defective.

I have never bought shoes from the Rack but I know that AEs are typically around $200.00. That's a pretty substantial price (for most people) to pay for something that can't stand up to normal wear and tear.
Good point, and well said.

But still, when I knowingly buy something somewhere for a lot less than what it normally costs I generally understand that some degree of risk goes along with this decision.

I'm not always certain what degree of risk this should be, but if something does go wrong I typically chalk it up to my choice for chosing the least expensive route.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score

It's an outlet store... Many of the those pieces wound up there due to some flaw in the first place. They don't put a sign on every one because it is implicit.

Look, I can understand the disappointment, but you always take a little risk when bargain hunting in outlet stores. Hell, the Rack is unique in that they let you return items at all, many do not. It's a bargain. You want full service? Pay full price. You can't have both most of the time.

Last edited:

tuckfro

Reaction score
If Apple Iphones started exploding after 1 years usage, does that exclude Apple Corp from responsibility? Even, if I bought one used? Or from Nordstrom Rack? I don't think so.
I'd love to hear the reaction from Apple if you tried to return a year-old, second-hand IPhone expecting the warranty to be honored.

Cut your loss and move on.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear the reaction from Apple if you tried to return a year-old, second-hand IPhone expecting the warranty to be honored.

Cut your loss and move on.
The Apple warranty follows the item and not the owner. As long as it is covered by the waranty, they will honor it. They don't care who currently has it, nor do they attempt to determine how you got it.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score

The Apple warranty follows the item and not the owner. As long as it is covered by the waranty, they will honor it. They don't care who currently has it, nor do they attempt to determine how you got it.

The retail warranty would not apply if you bought a refurb.

biged781

Reaction score

The term refurb wasn't included in the original description for the Apple product I responded to.

I don't see how that is relevant in the context of this thread. Comparing AE seconds purchased at an outlet to a retail iPhone is a false analogy. A refurbed phone would be appropriate, in which case the comparison falls apart.

Shiny

Reaction score

I don't see how that is relevant in the context of this thread. Comparing AE seconds purchased at an outlet to a retail iPhone is a false analogy. A refurbed phone would be appropriate, in which case the comparison falls apart.

Only the OP bought shoes he did not know were seconds. Akin to Nordstrom Rack selling iphones at a reduced price and implying that they were new.

deburn

Reaction score

It's an outlet store... Many of the those pieces wound up there due to some flaw in the first place. They don't put a sign on every one because it is implicit.

Look, I can understand the disappointment, but you always take a little risk when bargain hunting in outlet stores. Hell, the Rack is unique in that they let you return items at all, many do not. It's a bargain. You want full service? Pay full price. You can't have both most of the time.

Which outlet stores don't allow you to return items?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth