1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AVOID buying Allen Edmonds seconds shoes or AE shoes from Nordstrom’s Rack.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by coolarrow, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Bowing is a disappointing occurrence, and it's too bad these went that way for you.

Now, for future reference, since you evidently did not know, this mark on the sole of a pair of Allen Edmonds signifies that they are factory seconds, meaning that they failed quality control for some reason or another. Actually, there should be no marks other than branding on the bottom of a pair of firsts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Though I am sure you are well intentioned, no one will take your factory seconds 'warning' seriously, I assure you. People will continue to buy and enjoy them. If you expect top quality, expect to pay more.

1 person likes this.
  3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

99% of AE at N Rack are absolute crap and can't believe anyone would buy. Scratches,blemishes, ugliness and all of the above. Luckily I found a 1%er spotless Independence Line shoe that gladly purchased.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

have you considered you're wearing too narrow of a shoe?

4 people like this.
  5. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

E is having huge issues with bowing lately. I've exchanged tons of pairs to get some decent ones, and still have some Park Avenues with the issue.

I'm almost embarrassed to exchange them because I've already done it once, but they really look quite ridiculous.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I don't think so. I have a few AE shoes and I am exclusively a 9.5D. All fit fine. Not really familiar with the lasts of AE but I haven't had to look into the differences in lasts since 9.5 fits fine. Only one pair of shoes is not as comfortable (AE Jackson). The fit on that is fine only the soles seem harder than the others. Maybe it doesn't have that cork insole (?).

Thanks to thesizzle. I will take a detailed pix of that mark and try to put it on the first post.

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Too many whiners here who still do not understand what the term 'factory seconds' means. If you want the best of what AE has to offer, man up and pay retail.

3 people like this.
  8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

So, there was a period of time about 3 years ago, when AE switched from natural colored to black colored insoles. Those were a bit stiffer than the old ones, but after breaking in, I found them to be comparable.

It is my understanding, talking with an AE manager, that after about 6 months with the new black insoles, they redid them.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

E is certainly not at fault here as you purchased 'seconds'. However, if Nordstrom did not tell you they were seconds, I'd take it up with them. On the other hand, if you knew they were seconds at the time of purchase, you have really no reason to expect recourse. You took a chance by buying a defective product. A defective product is what seconds are.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...agreed. I've got 3 pairs of AE seconds, and in my estimation, they're every bit as good as the firsts that I own. 2 of the 3 pairs of seconds (Neumora and McAllister) literally had no marks or creases on them. OP either caught a tough break or (more likely) had unrealistic expectations...seems like he's wrecked a few pairs of shoes in his day.

The simple solution is to stop being cheap and to just buy directly from AE, where all of the return and recraft luxuries apply. You get what you pay for.

1 person likes this.
  11. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Why are you embarrassed to return them? Isn't there a return policy on the back of your receipt?

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

Everyone needs a pair of AE seconds for working in the garden. I meant this as a joke but I'm realizing that I use my old knock-around Bentons when I work in my garden.

13. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

On a side note, doesn't Nordstrom have a crazy return policy where you can almost return anything any time?

Never exercised it but I heard bout it and it sounded too good to be true.

14. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Nordstrom Rack does not have a crazy return policy. I believe it's 14 days with a receipt. The 'regular' Nordstroms likely has a similar policy, however, their customer service is so high they likely make exceptions on a case by case basis. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable returning shoes which I've already worn out and about to any store if purchased from the Rack. I view it as an outlet and when I wear my shoes outside that means I've made my decision to keep them.

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Rack return policy is 30 days with receipt.
    Regular Nordstrom is just about forever.

There's this thing called the Internet. You can use it to look stuff up.

16. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

....never shopped at either place, so I don't know.

17. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Sound the Sirens, the Internet Police have arrived.

1 person likes this.
  18. njruss

njruss Senior member

Do AE seconds really have zero warranty? Even from the shoebank? I would expect a limited warranty, even if the resolution was an exchange for replacement seconds.

19. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

not really. If you get it and notice something wrong before wearing, you can replace them no problem.

If you wear them for a while and discover a minor beef, then you're stuck. If its something major like the heel and sole come off, then AE would probably step up and help out.

20. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

^^^
    This. There's a reason for why they're called "seconds." If there's more than a "cosmetic defect," then they'll probably consider throwing you a bone, but if you just don't like a scratch or crease, then you have to return them before the return policy lapses. Obviously, you can't wear them.

Last edited: May 21, 2013