• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are witnessing the evolution of language.

jmills

Reaction score
Can confirm that the kids of the rough-and-tumble primary school I went to used that one almost universally (I was born in 1990).

Last edited:

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I have two teenage daughters and is a common usage by them and their friends - and has been for the last seven or eight years. I used to spend (waste?) large amounts of time, normally on the way to or from Saturday sport, explaining the difference between a verb and a preposition...and that versus means against...and you wouldn't say you were "againsting" the other team...and then I just gave up

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Samsung Xpress M2070FW printer @home is flashing red and saying I need a new cartridge - just 2 weeks after installing a new one - theres no way its been used that much.

Anyone got any experience?

Things are tough when you have to print your own vintage ties.

Took a trip to the MJ Bale Warehouse Sale in Galleria on Little Collins yesterday evening. It's on all this week.

Speaking of, I just bought x3 MJ Bale 'Murray' shirts. Their slim fit range is really starting to disappear.

I hope you guys are right about pinpoint fabric because that'll be all I have come summer.

Anyone come across this rather bizarre colloquialism before? (I should point out that both these girls are in their early 20s.)

Versus?

Edit: Born in 1990, I'm very familiar with it to the point where I had to read your post a couple of times to get what you were on about.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I will take some pics of my two C&J handgrade-gate* kops when I have good light, and preferably before wearing them.

One pair is Belgrave cap-toe with minimal broguing, in polo suede; the other pair is Courtenay austerity brogue in black calf. Both are exquisite.

*loving that phrase!

I suspect it will be a while before you buy C&J at those prices again the way the AUD is going.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not against the evolution of language, and this seems to be a rather clever verbal neologism. There's no other word which means quite the same thing - "opposing" is not quite right, "playing" is a word with too many meanings already, and "competing against" is cumbersome; it also appeals to me that "verse" in this usage has a clear and appropriate derivation from the Latin "versus".

I'm sure it's not spelt "vs" though. That one had me chuckling.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect it will be a while before you buy C&J at those prices again the way the AUD is going.

Maybe. We are perhaps a little too focused on the A$'s exchange rate with the US$.

Against sterling and the euro, there hasn't been a lot of drop.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had a conversation with a couple of the staff in my Sydney office. They were talking about a friend of theirs who is a "professional" online poker player. "Oh", they said, "he quite often verses really famous people on that site."

"That's a novel use of the word 'verse'. How are you spelling that?"

"V - S."

Anyone come across this rather bizarre colloquialism before? (I should point out that both these girls are in their early 20s.)

Unfortunately, it's really endemic amongst younger people and is often heard at the primary school that my children attend and I've heard colleagues of mine with school-age children complain about it, too.

I've managed to get my son to stop using it but it took a while, and I had to keep on reminding him to use words such as "competing against" instead of "versing", as he'd say things such as "we're versing XYZ school in soccer this week". However, most of his friends still use it.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. We are perhaps a little too focused on the A$'s exchange rate with the US$.

Against sterling and the euro, there hasn't been a lot of drop.

Mate, there's been, approximately, a 32% drop in the AUD against the SGD in the 2+ years I've been here. I'm buying all my **** on my Singapore-issued credit card.

mjba

Reaction score
this is probably a stupid question, but is there anywhere in Aust that sells RLPL?

and yeah, the AUD is killing me too.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is probably a stupid question, but is there anywhere in Aust that sells RLPL?

and yeah, the AUD is killing me too.

The RL flagship store in Collins Street (Melb) certainly has some Purple Label apparel. Department store outlets seem more focused on their casual/preppy stuff.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I popped into American Tailors to pick up a belt they repaired for me.

Oh dear. Half price C&J handgrades everywhere. Stacked to the rafters they were.

I is poor now.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Why soitanly.

Belgraves in polo suede. They're on my feet now.

I'll try to get pix of the other pair tonight - didn't have time this morning, had to run for the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads