• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox81

Reaction score

OK, whilst I've found some time to post (and I know the general question has been asked previously, but these things can be transient) however I'm heading over to Melbourne in late March and looking to take the better half out for what I hope is a wonderful meal. Having decamped back in 2002, I'm a little rusty on what's what these days, so would like to take any recommendations for restaurants in the city (staying at the Rialto) which serve up great dining?

Thoughts gents?

if youre staying at the rialto then you should probably give vue de monde a try. you might need your concierge to help with getting a table though.

fox81

Reaction score

Quite happy with the Luxire pants, might need to shrink the waist measurement though on the next pair. Unhappy with the shelf butt though, any ideas for solutions?
note to self, if ordering luxire chinos, ask for no back pockets

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lastly, does Fxh really object to wearing loafers without socks? How about in winter with jeans, surely it is okay to wear socks with suede loafers.
I always wear socks with loafers, or any good shoe. It's a hygiene issue for me as I'd rather not ruin my good shoes with foot sweat. Aesthetically I don't see any real benefit to not wearing socks unless you are wearing shorts (in fact, more often than not you will look like a misfit)... in which case sockettes might still be advisable for the aforementioned hygiene issues.

boff

Reaction score

if youre staying at the rialto then you should probably give vue de monde a try. you might need your concierge to help with getting a table though.

Amazing restaurant, but I don't think I'll go back. We blew about $600 a head and dinner took almost 5 hours to plough through. I'm sure you can do it faster/cheaper but in hindsight it all seems a bit of an effort. Probably due to now having 2 small kids to think about. Once in a decade type experience for me.

Top of my list is Mo Vida. The 'Wagyu with Poached Organic Egg and Truffle Foam' is insanely good.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fit pictures from the other day for another forum, figured you guys might appreciate them too. TM Lewin white poplin Luxire light summer navy chino Alden #8 chukka
Quite happy with the Luxire pants, might need to shrink the waist measurement though on the next pair. Unhappy with the shelf butt though, any ideas for solutions?
Those look very tight in the seat...

boff

Reaction score

Fit pictures from the other day for another forum, figured you guys might appreciate them too.

I think those could be worn a little lower. They look like they are being sucked up your butt. You might need to loosen the waist and wear a belt. The break on those rather nice Alden's would improve as well.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Showing plenty of cuff. I thought I was the only one that has 3 inches of cuff :p.
Lastly, does Fxh really object to wearing loafers without socks? How about in winter with jeans, surely it is okay to wear socks with suede loafers.

For fxh (and PoP) as it has been too long. I always think of you when I see photographs like these.

http://ethandesu.com/post/43368658737/rolled-denim-and-eg-buxtons

MS - socks and suede loafers? Of course. But without (in the right context) is fine too (by me at least).

Have made a nice little #menswear purchases over the last few days. Some mid grey nailhead trousers from Howard Yount (with some pink socks and a white linen square with blue edge to round out the order) and some Taylor of Old Bond shaving cream (Sandalwood) and Blenheim Bouquet deodorant from menbiz.com.au (in my experience the delivery is always quite quick). If you are ordering from them remember to use the Badger and Blade 15% discount code - bb2012 still works.

Things I am thinking about next - grey flannels for winter (hopefully coming soon) - maybe on sale from Ovadia and Sons, some new "nice" jeans, possible RRL (anyone any experience with fit?) and some new casual shoes (Common Projects or maybe suede loafer (with strings?) from Carmina).

I am in a lucky situation where I do really "need" anything so am trying to buy the more useful things that can help continue to round out my wardrobe.

thebrownman - in regards to other threads on the forum this is the only one I look at regularly (and subscribe to) but I will often search the forum for more information on a specific brand or topic. From inspiration and ideas I tend to look more to Tumblr.

As to restaurants in Melbourne, this was covered a while ago. There is no harm in asking again as these things change but it might be worth a search as there was quite a good responses. For my two cents worth Mamasita was great (but only if you can go at a non peak time, otherwise Los Amates in Fitzroy is just as good and you can book) and on the other end of the scale for a real Melbourne experience (and to use up your loose change) try Camy's Shanghai Dumpling Place just off Little Bourke (I believe Supper Inn is just as good, maybe better, but I have never been). I tend not to eat out in the city so much as there is so much variety in the various suburbs, but am sure others will give you plenty of tips (The European and Movida both come highly recommended and are on my to do list).

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always wear socks with loafers, or any good shoe. It's a hygiene issue for me as I'd rather not ruin my good shoes with foot sweat. Aesthetically I don't see any real benefit to not wearing socks unless you are wearing shorts (in fact, more often than not you will look like a misfit)... in which case sockettes might still be advisable for the aforementioned hygiene issues.

+1

I dislike the sight of people wearing loafers without socks. I see no benefit to it whatsoever and it just looks plain bad.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

I dislike the sight of people wearing loafers without socks. I see no benefit to it whatsoever and it just looks plain bad.
I don't have a huge problem with others doing it; I'm not going to form a death squad to liquidate anyone showing bare ankles, it's just not something I'd do myself, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

It can look good on occasion (Rob pulls it off quite well with chinos and driving mocs), but a lot of the time with suits etc. especially with more formal shoes it just looks like you ran out of clean socks that day. Even with loafers, if you are wearing long pants, a pair of light coloured socks can look just as well as bare ankle to convey a relaxed summer vibe IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads