1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Well, I decided on some slippers. Ordered, and already shipped.

Church's Sovereign Arabesque. I really don't like the feel of velvet.
    [​IMG]

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Oh yeah forgot that part :p

[​IMG]

Seagull 819.368 with sapphire case. Should do me well until they put me in a box.

3. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Nice score, Oli. I am a big fan of Sea-Gull - although they don't always get it right; but every now and then, they do. Somewhere in the bowels of that company are designers who understand classic watch style. Your new piece is a fine example of what this company can do. Wear it in good health.

By "sapphire case", do you mean sapphire caseback? In which case, can we have a peek at the movement please?

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thats pretty nice, like the band colour too. Wear in good health

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Apologies I don't know much about watches. I meant the crystal - I went with the sapphire because I plan for this one to be a mainstay for a while (I can't justify a $10K watch in the Newcastle burbs) and didn't want it to scratch.

Here is the back anyway

[​IMG]

Ty :)

6. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

those are very louche.

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

nice automatic watch at a low cost, good buy!

9. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

This is a sapphire caseback ftr.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

JM, can you attest to the quality of a Drake's tie both before and after the buyout?

Cho is adamant that the quality of a Drake's tie is as strong as ever, but history shows that when a company buys another it's usually quality that is the first thing down the gurgler.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

MS, I wouldn't have any worries at all in this case, as I think that Drake's is in good hands and Michael Hill stayed on for a year or more post-purchase to ensure that things stayed the same.

The only (and unfortunate) change in my opinion was Drake's move towards making more and more of their ties in narrower widths.

When I contacted them a couple of years back to ask if they had any 9cm wide ties, as everything on their website was either 7cm or 8cm wide, I was told that I could get 9cm wide ties if I was prepared to get an extra-long tie. I suppose that could have worked in a #menswear sense, as it would have been so long that I would have ended up with a long bit of tail hanging down below my belt-line!

I then asked them why the didn't have any 9cm ties in regular width on their website (at that time, anyway) and I was told that it was because 7cm and 8cm ties were more fashionable. :facepalm: :confused:

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

I've got drakes ties pre and post acquisition the quality seems just as good but like jm I don't like the width

I also think that the designs are getting more and more conservative whereas previously they had character

Regardless they are still quality ties

13. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

I was originally thinking olive too but then i have the green filson so thought it may be nice for a change hehe

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I have Drakes pre and post Armoury and there is no difference in quality (from my humble view point). By the way, Michael Hill is still heavily involved with Drakes. Michael Drake stayed on for a year or more post-purchase to ensure that things stayed the same. If my memory is correct I believe Michael Hill's father worked for Drakes or some version of it . http://www.billionaire.com/articles/191/drakes-the-new-formality http://dresslikea.com/post/50592618559/people-behind-the-industry-part-ii-michael-hill Here is Michael Hill talking about the recently open Drakes haberdashery.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Oops - thanks for picking that up, PS. It's also worth noting that although Drake's themselves have very few 9cm ties, The Armoury often has a selection of regular-length, 9cm ties amongst their Drake's ties (although they're not always reflected in their online store).

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

18. boff

boff Senior member

Funnily enough I'm wearing a 9cm Drakes tie today, bought it in Barney's, New York about 10 years ago. I do have a few skinnier ties but must admit I feel much the same way about them as I do about skinny lapels. Anything under 8cm feels rather too fashion forward for me.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Collar stays not doing the job?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.