• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not only notable for its clothing, but also a must for any mid-century modernist furniture/architecture fetishists out there..

By the way did you end up seeing the exhibition at the SJM?

Selvaggio

Reaction score

By the way did you end up seeing the exhibition at the SJM?

Not yet - but I might pop out on Sunday. It is on until the end of the year. Once I go I shall post a report for the benefit of members and guests.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not going to form a death squad to liquidate anyone showing bare ankles, .......

But you promised 2013 was the year.....

................ it just looks like you ran out of clean socks that day. Even with loafers, if you are wearing long pants, a pair of light coloured socks can look just as well as bare ankle to convey a relaxed summer vibe IMO.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on GQ wear loafers with no socks - I thought it was just the holy grail of suede loafer wearing.

I can now safely wear socks my loafers. I find that my shoes degrade much more rapidly when I wear them without socks. There is also the odour factor, and there is also the blister factor. It is just a million times more practical for me to wear socks, I just didn't know whether it was the done thing.

I had a large group of Hong Kong friends come over the other weekend. They were all wearing TODS. Rob, are you sure these Andy Toms can match the likes of Tods?

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
People on GQ wear loafers with no socks - I thought it was just the holy grail of suede loafer wearing.

I can now safely wear socks my loafers. I find that my shoes degrade much more rapidly when I wear them without socks. There is also the odour factor, and there is also the blister factor. It is just a million times more practical for me to wear socks, I just didn't know whether it was the done thing.

I had a large group of Hong Kong friends come over the other weekend. They were all wearing TODS. Rob, are you sure these Andy Toms can match the likes of Tods?

If you can live without the Tod's logo then yes they are fairly similar. If you need to keep up with the Jones' in HK then perhaps you need to spend some money for the T stamp.

A few guys here have bought pairs as far as i know - ill let them draw the comparison.

FWIW as you know i wear loafers alot but i never wear the same pair twice in a row .. im also not playing sport in driving loafers hence my feet dont sweat much in them and i have zero odour issues - and ive got pairs that are 3-4 years old. They are also good quality leather and not like those $10 kmart shoes you posted last week hence will not degrade that quickly.

If you have particularly stinky/sweaty feet you can get the lower cut loafer socks as a protective layer

Otherwise back to rubber thongs
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is gonna come off as a bit kinky and I know I will get lambasted with this post but I have a couple of pairs of Church shoes which, when I take them off at the end of day, and they are still body warm eminate the smell of blended scotch whisky. I've only had this issue with my Church and Dack's shoes (which are likely Church shoes but that's another story). Has anybody else had this rather pleasant olfactory issue?
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...976-This-is-gonna-come-off-as-a-bit-kinky-but

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, this is gonna come off as a bit kinky and I know I will get lambasted with this post but I have a couple of pairs of Church shoes which, when I take them off at the end of day, and they are still body warm eminate the smell of blended scotch whisky. I've only had this issue with my Church and Dack's shoes (which are likely Church shoes but that's another story). Has anybody else had this rather pleasant olfactory issue?
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...976-This-is-gonna-come-off-as-a-bit-kinky-but
I really don't think anybody should try this guy's homebrew.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Something to declare....with respect to loafers and socks I swing both ways.

I wear loafers (and boat shoes and canvas sneakers) with no socks if I am wearing jeans, shorts or very casual trousers (eg chinos). I like that photo of Ethan above.

I never wear lace up/dress shoes without socks.

I never go sockless with a suit or with tailored trousers.....to me it looks (and I hope I am not offending anyone here) more than a little creepy.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Quote:
Those look very tight in the seat...

They drop ~1in while wearing, what I think I'm going to have to do on the next pair is increase the front and back rises, which should both give me some more break and stop the the 'butt sucking' also? As I would like to keep where they are sitting at the moment, but agree with the comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads