Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fox81

fox81 Senior member

if youre staying at the rialto then you should probably give vue de monde a try. you might need your concierge to help with getting a table though.

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

note to self, if ordering luxire chinos, ask for no back pockets

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I always wear socks with loafers, or any good shoe. It's a hygiene issue for me as I'd rather not ruin my good shoes with foot sweat. Aesthetically I don't see any real benefit to not wearing socks unless you are wearing shorts (in fact, more often than not you will look like a misfit)... in which case sockettes might still be advisable for the aforementioned hygiene issues.

4. boff

boff Senior member

Amazing restaurant, but I don't think I'll go back. We blew about $600 a head and dinner took almost 5 hours to plough through. I'm sure you can do it faster/cheaper but in hindsight it all seems a bit of an effort. Probably due to now having 2 small kids to think about. Once in a decade type experience for me.

Top of my list is Mo Vida. The 'Wagyu with Poached Organic Egg and Truffle Foam' is insanely good.

5. Prince of Paisley

Those look very tight in the seat... [​IMG]

6. boff

boff Senior member

I think those could be worn a little lower. They look like they are being sucked up your butt. You might need to loosen the waist and wear a belt. The break on those rather nice Alden's would improve as well.

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

For fxh (and PoP) as it has been too long. I always think of you when I see photographs like these.

http://ethandesu.com/post/43368658737/rolled-denim-and-eg-buxtons
    [​IMG]

MS - socks and suede loafers? Of course. But without (in the right context) is fine too (by me at least).

Have made a nice little #menswear purchases over the last few days. Some mid grey nailhead trousers from Howard Yount (with some pink socks and a white linen square with blue edge to round out the order) and some Taylor of Old Bond shaving cream (Sandalwood) and Blenheim Bouquet deodorant from menbiz.com.au (in my experience the delivery is always quite quick). If you are ordering from them remember to use the Badger and Blade 15% discount code - bb2012 still works.

Things I am thinking about next - grey flannels for winter (hopefully coming soon) - maybe on sale from Ovadia and Sons, some new "nice" jeans, possible RRL (anyone any experience with fit?) and some new casual shoes (Common Projects or maybe suede loafer (with strings?) from Carmina).

I am in a lucky situation where I do really "need" anything so am trying to buy the more useful things that can help continue to round out my wardrobe.

thebrownman - in regards to other threads on the forum this is the only one I look at regularly (and subscribe to) but I will often search the forum for more information on a specific brand or topic. From inspiration and ideas I tend to look more to Tumblr.

As to restaurants in Melbourne, this was covered a while ago. There is no harm in asking again as these things change but it might be worth a search as there was quite a good responses. For my two cents worth Mamasita was great (but only if you can go at a non peak time, otherwise Los Amates in Fitzroy is just as good and you can book) and on the other end of the scale for a real Melbourne experience (and to use up your loose change) try Camy's Shanghai Dumpling Place just off Little Bourke (I believe Supper Inn is just as good, maybe better, but I have never been). I tend not to eat out in the city so much as there is so much variety in the various suburbs, but am sure others will give you plenty of tips (The European and Movida both come highly recommended and are on my to do list).

8. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

I like Movida, Izakaya Den, and Cumulus.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

I dislike the sight of people wearing loafers without socks. I see no benefit to it whatsoever and it just looks plain bad.

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

14. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Happy Lunar New Year, mate.

Catch you when you're back.

15. Prince of Paisley

I don't have a huge problem with others doing it; I'm not going to form a death squad to liquidate anyone showing bare ankles, it's just not something I'd do myself, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

It can look good on occasion (Rob pulls it off quite well with chinos and driving mocs), but a lot of the time with suits etc. especially with more formal shoes it just looks like you ran out of clean socks that day. Even with loafers, if you are wearing long pants, a pair of light coloured socks can look just as well as bare ankle to convey a relaxed summer vibe IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.