• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumia

Reaction score

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Little bit of personal excitement - just had a large range of cloths added to SS.. Dugdale, Ariston, Loro Piana and a couple drapers/holland and sherry ... quite a bit more in casual fabrics and jacketing stuff.

iSurg

Reaction score
Rob will be all like: I don't pop Molly, I rock...... Suit Shop. Boom.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its not a look I like - but on looking around I'd clearly be a minority.
Andy Wharhol managed to make it a uniform - I didn't like it much then.

I can see it useful on a "casual Friday" at some places where wearing the jeans* is a signal to the mob that you aren't a snob and the jacket looks smart (and signals you are a snob)

I don't even really tolerate old tweed jackets with jeans. Cord or faded cotton perhaps. A leather jacket or sport coat maybe.

In my grumpy old view its no tailored jackets with jeans, instead - car coats, pea jackets, blousons, Harringtons, field jackets, and so on.

* even though those wearing jeans are from the ascendancy and earn more than you.

The look was very popular in Sydney circa 1976 or so. Some people even wore it as suit jacket and matching vest from a three piece with (shock horror) flared jeans. Used to see it a bit around the Basement with Jazz nerds and in Balmain and Paddo pubs.

Robert Redford does it the best IMMO he pulls off very well. Best Warhol biography is Loner at the Ball The Life of Andy Warhol Fred Lawrence Guiles well worth reading if you can get a copy.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little bit of personal excitement - just had a large range of cloths added to SS.. Dugdale, Ariston, Loro Piana and a couple drapers/holland and sherry ... quite a bit more in casual fabrics and jacketing stuff. 

the mid blue chalkstripe is enticing.

when does Sydney fitting start?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah... I think the entire top part of the outfit needs to be as casual as possible. So that's a patch pocket blazer and casual PS - not fancier folded linen.

And conversely, the bottom part, ie the denim, needs to be as formal as possible...

If there's too much contrast between top and bottom in terms of formality then to me it just looks weird...

I'd second these comments, and add to that 'proportion': I suspect I was an offender in my youth (and maybe more recently), wearing a properly fitting jacket with too-slim jeans, resulting in a top-heavy look.

My relative lack of height means 501s aren't for me, but I have been wearing some Swedish 'Denim Demons' from Somedays, and I bought a pair of APC 'New Standards' yesterday which should do the trick, once I get them hemmed...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've discovered that I'm finally able to post pictures again, so here's a cross-post of some pictures that I posted yesterday in the "folded up shirt pr0n" thread:

A few months ago, I ordered three lengths of cloth - two lengths of oxford cloth and one length of sky-blue poplin - from an English maker of shirting fabric, Acorn, and handed them over to my friend Rene, of Deer Style in Brisbane, to have them made into shirts.

I recently received the finished shirts back from Rene and they are lovely.

I’m particularly pleased with the collar roll on the pink-and-white university stripe, oxford cloth shirt. I’d been looking for a similar shirt for a long time and couldn’t find one that I liked or that fitted me well, so when I spotted the cloth on the Acorn website, I decided to have one made.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recently inherited some nice vintage pieces from my father's wardrobe. They already fit quite well, but some minor alterations would be needed here and there.

So now I'm looking for a reliable alterations tailor in Melbourne. Inner south-eastern suburbs location would be best, but conservative business dress works too.

Someone who won't be pissed off if my first job for them isn't a fully bespoke three-piece suit...but can do that too.

Price point is not as important as the ability to build a relationship. (no ****)

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raining a bit today and very grey, so I thought it was time for this shirts first wear to brighten things just a little.

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Kamakura
Tie: Henry Carter black crunchy knit
Trousers: MJ Bale
Shoes: Meermin MTO

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason: so jealous of those Kamakura BDs, wish they fit me.

Gerry: crispy!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah... I think the entire top part of the outfit needs to be as casual as possible. So that's a patch pocket blazer and casual PS - not fancier folded linen.
And conversely, the bottom part, ie the denim, needs to be as formal as possible...
If there's too much contrast between top and bottom in terms of formality then to me it just looks weird...
Anyway, it's just my opinion. I know a lot of people love this look, as I said,

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
I think the thing with jeans with jackets these days, is that jeans just aint jeans ...ie there's so many formal and tailored look jeans
Also I think its so easy to get it wrong... ie the points lachy made.

But IMO with the right body and with some sartorial wisdom it works well.
I think a nicely fitting and styled jacket jeans combo looks better than an ill fitting or poorly put together suit combo.

Saying that, Ive been keeping a hawk eye on such combos to see what I think will work, and see some that you have to question.

Ive been watching the block sky high, and have thought that fxh would be dry reaching if he saw some of the stuff the judges wear?...
...jacket, vest and jeans

For some reason these judges never wear cotton or wool pants, its always jeans. Perhaps they think it makes them look younger?

On one recent episode lately however, I really liked Darrens' black jeans with grey tee & scarf, and his navy coat was fantastic (http://www.theblockskyhigh.com/exterior-rooftop-terrace-foyer-reveals/#more-1369)

edit: spoiler tag fail

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads