1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Didn't know this. Though I won't be rushing out there. Most of their fabric patterns are way too outre for me.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Ordered myself a Huddersfield dark brown tweed jacket from Oscar Hunt. Half lined, one ply canvas, 3.5" notch lapels, patch pockets, three cuff buttons and dual vent.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. The Ernesto

4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

My luck...

When ordering a bespoke item. At what point can you demand (and expect) your money back for getting something that just doesn't fit?

3 weeks ago had the fitting on my shoes. Everything fit right except needed some more space for my high instep.
    Shoes arrived completed today. they now feel about 2 sizes too large. to the point that I can feel my feet rattling around inside the shoes as I walk....

1 person likes this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

ovlov, that's very unfortunate and it must be very frustrating, too.

I may well be wrong, but it sounds as though the shoemaker may have taken the easy approach to dealing with your issue and instead of re-shaping the design to take your high instep into account, the shoemaker instead made a wider fitting shoe (as greater width means more leather and more space which means that it's more likely to fit your high instep). I've been advised to do the same thing by quite a lot of Australian shoe stores - in other words, instead of going to the effort of finding a pair of shoes which will fit my high insteps, they simply recommend that I get a bigger pair of shoes, as it's an easy way to solve the problem.

I'm guessing that a replacement pair won't be ready in time for your wedding and so I think that it would be worthwhile approaching the maker to explain that the shoes were meant for your wedding and that, as you won't be able to wear them at your wedding, you would appreciate a refund. They may, of course, offer to make you another pair of shoes and I guess that it's then up to you as to whether you're inclined to accept that in lieu of a refund.

6. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Sadly I think you are correct JM.
    I actually got a call from them late last week asking me when the wedding was because they somehow forgot. When I told the guy I needed it in a week he actually admitted that he thought it was on the 15th. I told them it was 28th but I needed them a week early to wear in a little and to take them to Jaunty for a mirror shine (I still don't have the skills to do it myself).

I'd say they completely forgot about them then tried to rush through. A few weeks ago I was complaining to a friend about them and he told me he had actually ordered stuff from them back in June or something last year and was still fighting after 2 deliveries that didn't match his order and their refusal to refund... [​IMG]

7. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Sorry you've had so many troubles ovlov, menswear should be a pleasure, not endless problems, troubles and disappointments. Asking for discounts and refunds at these kinds of services feels uncomfortable due to the often affluent clientèle that frequent them, but it isn't fair and it hurts when things like this happen. If the MTM/bespoke was so bad that it was clearly uncorrectable from the first try on, I'd ask for a discounted final price and/or ask them to do everything possible to correct it. If it happens at a place where you are a regular, sometimes you have to take it and hope they'll do their utmost to fix the problem(s), or maybe discount the next order.

Saying that, do you think RTW shoes would be impossible at this stage? I'm sure if you advised on style and fit we'd be happy to recommend something suitable that would arrive in time.

8. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

FredAstaire.

Unfortunately the problem is that it is already paid for. It was actually a gift from my groomsmen. One of them has had a few pairs made for himself by these guys and thought it would be a sweet present for me given my new found sartorial interests. I messaged him as soon as I tried them on but he had already been called in to pay it off yesterday.

I have a nice paid of EG Chelseas which will certainly do the job (and are more wedding appropriate anyhow) so it isn't as if I am shoeless. It's just a very awkward situation all around. All my mates chip in about $1k+ for something that I will never be able to wear.

I've been having pretty poor luck with these things lately. My PJ suit had some issues. But their turnaround was so good there was plenty of time to fix and they went well beyond the call of duty to make sure things got fixed up perfectly.

Who knows. Maybe this is fixable, though not before the wedding. And they didn't have a shortage of time. quoted 6 weeks from first measurement back in early November...)

9. lennier

lennier Senior member

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be shy in demanding that a $1k pair of bespoke shoes should fit you perfectly! Doesn't help for your wedding of course, but I'm sure your mates were hoping for the gift to be a long-term pleasure so they'd probably think getting them right was more important.

10. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I think I ended up buying a few pairs of shoelaces from American Tailors last time. No actual shoes in my size, sadly!

As my earlier question probably gave away, I'm down in Melbourne next week. Definitely planning to see Suit Shop, as well as checking out the usual suspects like Buck's, Double Monk, Azzaro. Any new places that I should know about?

Also, I'm travelling with the significant other, but I'm sure I can sneak away for lunch or an after-work beer, if any of the local members would like to meet up...

11. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Exactly my thoughts Lennier. Are shoes actually fixable in fitting though? Or would they have to start again from scratch.

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

One of them - I think it's Tony, but if not, then it's the other guy - is a bel canto tenor who sings in local choirs and also, I believe, in amateur opera. He sounded pretty into it. We had a long chat about music in general. This was at about the time I was in town for my father's funeral, for which we put a "scratch" quintet together to play the slow movement of Schubert's String Quintet in C (which, by the way, is the most beautiful piece of music ever written). I had to rush for a rehearsal and so did he, as it turned out. They are really nice guys at American Tailors. So far though I have only bought "on-sale" items, otherwise it can be a bit pricey in there.

I have a PZ jacket. Let me see, let me see, let me see... oh yes, here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually my now infamous TF suit was purchased for just over that sum. But it was half-price. Still, the most expensive item of clothing I have ever bought. Tom Ford is like cocaine - once in a blue moon, strictly for special occasions, and whatever you do, don't get a habit. (Does he make habits?)

Ov, I feel for you. Makes me realise how lucky I was that the elements of my wedding fit came together without too much drama.

You could try getting a pair of leather insoles for the shoes. Double Monk have them. Not cheap, but certainly fixed a problem I had with a pair of Carminas I ordered online which were a size too large. Now they fit perfectly.

13. The Ernesto

Seb is the singer.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

15. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Brown in town.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I approve!

17. Romp

Romp Senior member

Woot suitshop Melbourne store opens 1st March... Few doors up from American Tailors :)

6 people like this.
  18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

And I just happen to be in Melbourne until...the 1st of March :)

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You'd better check first to see whether you need to make an appointment before the day on which you are departing. :devil:

2 people like this.
  20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Nice texture on the jacket! What kind of fabric is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.