• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why the hooha about The Iconic even though they stock nothing outside of the same stuff that gets peddled by every other Australian based fashion store - both online and bricks & mortar. It makes a lot of sense that it's all bullshit.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I haven't given it too much thought but I am kind of surprised its doing poorly. Seemed like a pretty basic online business model where they had sourced a wide range of brands/options etc. Clearly not the case but I also thought it was reasonably popular, with the advertising etc, a couple of people in the office use them for basic tees and casual shoes, they seem pretty happy with the service. Oh well.

Speaking of online stores, someone in the AE thread gave the heads up Jos A Bank is having 66% off, unfortunately the shoe trees are restricted to the US. They have a pretty wide range of belts though going cheap and some pocket squares.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forced back in to flannel today. Almost all my winter suits and coats are either at the tailors, cleaners or my daughter has slobbered on them and they'll be going to the cleaners!

Suit: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Kamakura
Tie: Henry Carter 9cm 7 fold repp
Shoes: Carmina
PS: Random

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Forced back in to flannel today. Almost all my winter suits and coats are either at the tailors, cleaners or my daughter has slobbered on them and they'll be going to the cleaners!

Suit: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Kamakura
Tie: Henry Carter 9cm 7 fold repp
Shoes: Carmina
PS: Random

Perfection! Necessity is the mother of all invention
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wraith. Groupthink aside, I honestly don't see what is so preposterous about assuming a business would answer their phone on a Monday morning.

It's not preposterous at all and they should have that information on their website. On the other hand, if you're going to be in a place for a limited amount of time and want to visit a certain place, it's judicious to call ahead to confirm their opening hours whether it's the British Museum or P Johnson.

It's fortunate I did that when I planned on visiting Vanda Fine Clothing in Singapore because they were going to be closed on the day I had originally planned to visit.

FWIW, Double Monk are also closed on Mondays but that information is actually on their site.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FXH, that is interesting and I do remember you mentioning it some time back.
I've just gone and measured some OCBD shirts. My older LE OCBD (from 3-4 years back), one of which is the Hyde Park version and one of which is not, have collar point lengths of 7.4cm.
A newer, pink-and-white striped, Hyde Park OCDB that I got from Land's End earlier this year does have shorter points, measuring 7cm from the collar band to the tip of the collar. So there is a difference of 0.4cm there (or about one-sixth of an inch). The recent Hyde Park shirt still has a nice collar roll and so I'm not terribly upset about the shorter point length.
Interestingly, I also measured the collar point length on a couple of my old, Uniqlo OCBD shirts, which I've had since 2005 or thereabouts. They had surprisingly long collar points, measuring 8.5cm in length, a full cm more than the older LE collars!

I had my intern do a spreadsheet on BD collars. (spread....sheet - collars: wink wink).
I took a sample (not randomised) of my BD shirts mostly Oxford all BD. All can get a reasonable roll.

The "best" roll is on the BB bought in Japan not oxford cloth - party due to the unlined, unstructured collar. It gets that nice casual random unpredictable roll that changes during the day. I just happen to like that roll.

Basically my view is that roll is related to collar height, point length and collar and collar band structure - then button placement both horizontally and vertically.
NB: Current LE Hyde Park Collar points are only 2.5" long.

LL Bean ...Vintage ..collar point 3. 2/8" height 2"
LL Bean ...Vintage .- 3" - 1. 6/8"
BB Vintage Made in USA .. 3. 2/8" - 2"
BB Vintage Made in USA bought in Japan 3. 2/8" - 2" - non oxford
BB Non Iron 3. 1/8" - 2"
LE Original Oxford - 3" - 1.7/8"
LE Non Iron Oxford - 3" - 1. 7/8"
LE Hyde Park Oxford - 3" 1.7/8" - before reduced points
LE non Iron Poplin - 3" - 1. 7/8"

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forced back in to flannel today. Almost all my winter suits and coats are either at the tailors, cleaners or my daughter has slobbered on them and they'll be going to the cleaners!]

What you need is a HC bib - hopsack for summer and serge for winter...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small hand towel tossed over shoulder.

As I've said before I spent years paranoiacly smelling the shoulders of my jackets at work and always smelling kid vomit - even when it wasn't there.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Small hand towel tossed over shoulder.

As I've said before I spent years paranoiacly smelling the shoulders of my jackets at work and always smelling kid vomit - even when it wasn't there.

I found one of my old chef jackets was good for feeding son, other than that don't wear dark coloured jackets, agree with the towel. Worse is nephews/nieces with grubby hands (shudder). Now its all just fond memories and dry cleaning bills.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they still can't do a pale blue shirt...

I don't get 3 pieces - as if it wasn't hot enough in a suit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics