1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Random question: does flannel wear warmer than cotton twill?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Matt, it depends upon the relative weights of the cloth as I suppose that a really heavyweight cotton twill could be warmer than a really lightweight flannel.

However, I think that, weight for weight, flannel is certainly warmer than cotton twill. As an example, I happily wear cotton twill trousers in summer, but I don't wear flannel trousers in summer.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

HP Halifax, thanks for reminding me about Bexley. I need some more shoe trees, so I should check to see how much they charge for shipping to Australia.

It's a pity that the glory days of the Costco shoe trees have passed - a couple of years back, plenty of people on eBay and Amazon were selling double packs of very nice, cedar shoe trees from Costco. They were ridiculously cheap for what you got in terms of quality and design.

4. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Cheers for the info. Im going to order a few jars next week and see how it goes.

Great that Glen is a SF member as well.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Where are you ordering from SS?

6. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Senior member

Just direct from them, shipping is $25 flat. I asked Glen about doing a bulk order which he is happy to do, but I'm not sure how many would want in.

Its just two of us so far.

7. The Ernesto

Cheers,

I'm in Melbourne, so that might make it a bit fiddly.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Just spent $300 on three textbooks. I was lucky in that two were second hand.

Beats the $700 I paid last semester.

9. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Don't students steal their texts from the Uni library any more?

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The great uni-con on textbooks continue to this day. Probably much more lucrative now if the number of graduates is any indication. After graduation, the con continues, only this time it is called CLE.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Its gotten even worse now that their distribution is handled by one company across all universities nationally.

I wouldn't mind so much if it were a classic like Cheshire & Fifoot or Anderson, but its always some post-structuralist nonsense the lecturer thinks is trendy.

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Holy humorous shipping costs batman! I thought hangerproject took the prize with unusually high shipping costs but indeed we have a winner.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I even sent them an email to confirm that the website delivery cost was accurate, to which they have not replied. Obviously the US market is big enough for them.

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

If the same weight, then yes because of the texture of each... Combed cotton vs polished cotton would also be warmer at same weight

15. BSPF

BSPF Member

I got chatting to the shopkeeper in American Tailors after a while. He hates customers coming in for a silent browse - he wants to be greeted when a customer comes into the shop, and wants to be asked questions. Almost like an old-style Parisian boutique.

This style probably works well for them - keeps away the riff-raff from trying stuff instore and then nicking off to buy online, and keeps the store empty for when CEOs and heavyhitters come by.

16. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Yeah I was going to chime in and say I've never experienced stand-offish behaviour. Went in once for a browse and a legitimate desire to buy fancy cufflinks for the future father in law. Talked shit, asked questions, etc and ended up not buying anything - but the experience was never unpleasant. Would definitely buy from them when they do their massive sales. Missed out this year, but most australian-based stores don't carry UK6 shoez, so.

17. The Ernesto

Garry, fxh and me still manage to sneak in sometimes.

18. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

Anyone with suggestions for my first pair of brown dress shoes, looking at oxfords/derbies.

Thinking EG or GG level.

1 person likes this.
  19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

They have to keep their prices high to account for the shoplifting.

1 person likes this.
  20. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.