• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolvadex

Reaction score

I think Darren Lockyear is dressed by Cloakroom/Pistols at Dawn. A Brisbane based clothing company. I think he has been wearing a knit or plain grenadine tie as I think they stock a few there made by Dormeuil. He sticks out like a saw thumb when compared to his peers.

The judges on the block, dont dress too bad, Neil dresses a bit better than the younger guy. Wish they wore some pants other than just jeans though.

I swear I saw darren wear dub monks during origin 2. I also watch him when the broncos play and he only had like 3 ties. 2 glen plaids + I think a maroon one

__PG__

Reaction score
Got some nice pocket squares for $9 each at the Rhodes and Beckett sale.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
I swear I saw darren wear dub monks during origin 2. I also watch him when the broncos play and he only had like 3 ties. 2 glen plaids + I think a maroon one

For Game Three, who knows, he might even bust out Triple Monks!
biggrin.gif

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New Carmina oxford wingtips on the Rain last (cross-post from the Carmina Appreciation thread):

And now that I have your full attention...

*bump*

I recently inherited some nice vintage pieces from my father's wardrobe. They already fit quite well, but some minor alterations would be needed here and there.

So now I'm looking for a reliable alterations tailor in Melbourne. Inner south-eastern suburbs location would be best, but conservative business dress works too.

Someone who won't be pissed off if my first job for them isn't a fully bespoke three-piece suit...but can do that too.

Price point is not as important as the ability to build a relationship. (no ****)

Can anybody help?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those fabrics that you gave me were really nice JM. Where did you take the photos? On a deck?

Close - on an outdoor table out in my courtyard.

I find that natural light is best for taking photos in and the courtyard gets some good, but not too direct light in the mornings and again late in the afternoon.

The Acorn fabrics feel very nice. The blue poplin is very fine and silky and irons very easily, and yet was one of the lower-priced poplin options.

Thank you very much for having them made up into shirts for me!

Journeyman

Love that blue yellow country check shirt you have had made up looks great.

GF - Thanks! I'm very much looking forward to wearing it and might even give it a run later this week. I'll try and post photos if I do.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've bought around 3 pairs of shoes in the last month coxaca. Slow down! :p

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Brooks Brothers one similar to that, but leather look. It's one thing I'm happy to not have leather, to account for spillages etc. Still very nice though, no idea how much it cost got it in Hawaii a few years ago.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You've bought around 3 pairs of shoes in the last month coxaca. Slow down!
tongue.gif

As well as his expensive trip to Canali recently
wink.gif

And the rest.

Still, it's better than blowing thirty grand I don't have on a watch - my previous addiction.

I'm using clothes and shoes to wean myself off watches. It's therapy, guys.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
And the rest.

Still, it's better than blowing thirty grand I don't have on a watch - my previous addiction.

I'm using clothes and shoes to wean myself off watches. It's therapy, guys.

I'm using less Style Forum to wean myself off shoes and clothing.... This end of the food chain has hit a new low on the sunset strip...

burnso

Reaction score
Hi gents, I have a Suitshop review for all.

I could go on and on about all the great things, but Ill try to keep it short.

- I wanted a sport coat. I was not quite at PJ level yet but wanted the kind of things they offer (from reading around here): great fabric, a great (modern) fit, soft shoulders, choice of everything.
- I have minimal experience with suit and jacket purchasing.
- I have a couple of beautiful MTO suits, but the lack of proper measuring left a few shortcomings (such as not allowing for my lower RH shoulder, and also when the jacket & sleeves were lengthened, it threw off the button stance by the same amount = button stance too high). I also have a few sport coats purchased off the rack.
- We'd all been anticipating Suitshop, so it was my first logical choice for a MTM garment. The things I especially liked were that PJs methods, experience, (modern) styling and watchful eye were associated with this, Romp was on board, and they were local (ie I could chase them up and they could be accountable... not that I expected that)
- I wanted a mid 'steel/ grey blue', something that looked plain blue from a distance, but with checks visible up close. Something versatile that could be worn night and day, dressed up or down.
- Matt was great. His input and passion was very valuable. He had a fabric in mind when I described to him what I wanted, and when I saw it it was perfect.
Ariston fabric AR0047 was from their higher end fabrics and something I think PJ stocks (I found 'Ariston four seasons' swatches on the Kent Wang website).
- I wore one of my existing suits for Matt to critique. He found a few points, then went through his measurements and then trying on of his sample suit to tweak. The measuring process was very thorough and I was impressed.
- Jacket came back 5 weeks later, Matt brought it around to check, and it was perfect.
- The material and fit are superb. Really couldn't be happier with the result, and ended up with exactly the jacket I had imagined. This will get a lot of wear. I will soon order some pants to make it a casual suit.
- I wouldn't hesitate at all to order a bunch of things from them while Im at this price point.
- Here's a pic of the jacket. No fit pic because my woeful photography would not do this justice.

Feel free to ask or PM any Q's

streetminimal

Reaction score
What colour buttons are they? They seem a bit too black for an odd jacket.

Ennuis

Reaction score
Any advice on where to get 'everyday' shirts and trousers?

Haven't had much luck with the conventional sizing as I tend to fit into large sized shirts/trousers and find that the sleeve length and trouser length is too long.

Also interested in herringbone shirts.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads