1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliq

sliq Senior member

it takes patience, grasshopper.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Morning Gents.
    I don't know if any of you have seen Chevalier Boots. They are a MTO boot company from Indonesia who use Horween leather. I've been pretty impressed from what I've seen, specifically from this review here on Reddit. If you take a browse through their website, you can see the do many different types of shoes, a wide range of boots, moc toe loafers, wingtip and long wing derbies, suede derbies, etc.

Here's a pic of the captoe chromexcel boot.
    [​IMG]

Their pricing is also very attractive
    $215 for the Boot(I believe this is for all shoes)
    $35 for Vibram sole
    $60 Shipping.

I have contacted Chevalier and they said for 10 or more boots it will be a 35% discount, and 40% for 20 or more. I have a few friends interested already, and I'm looking to build numbers.

Whose in?

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The old Canberra debate.... I love it when it comes around every now and again. Strangely, the people who usually say it's crap have never spent any significant time there. Sure there's boring stuff, like politicians and tons of public servants, but like said above it's what you make of it. It's really a city for people who love the outdoors, you've got the brindabellas an hour away, snowies 1.5-2 hours, coast 2 hours away and the list goes on. So if your in to bush walking, cycling, trail running, skiing, snowboarding, fishing then you can get the most out of Canberra very easily. It also has lots of great cafés and restaurants and it only takes most people 15-30 minutes to drive anywhere, plus all the other arty things like the museum, national library, portrait gallery, national gallery and the like. I mean if you like walking around malls all day (which you can definitely do here too), you probably won't ever get the most out of it.

I actually just got back from camping up in the high country near Thredbo on the river with a few mates, not much more than swags, bit of camp food and fly rods. After that I couldn't think of much worse than being surrounded by 50,000 cars in the middle of Sydney. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Anyone have action shots of the R.M Williams Rigger boot? I'm thinking about a pair, tentatively.

5. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

A quick search of the RM Williams thread found these two posts.

6. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Cheers mate, but I'm looking for more shots of them being worn. It's hard for me to gauge the shape of the last without seeing them being worn in a normal setting. The toe doesn't look to bulbous but I'd like to see more photos to confirm. I've never seen them instore (brisbane).

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

Im off to hawaii in two weeks.

Going to check out Leather Soul and RRL

Anywhere else good for menswear?

Also food/coffee suggestions?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Was it you who moved down there last year? If so how is life on the great ocean road going, enjoying it?

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The coffee sucks in Hawaii... Starbucks and the like. The best food is all the Japanese, we found this great BBQ place that was cheap as, and served $3 schooners of Kirin. Just walk around and find Radom places to eat worked for us, they are everywhere. I found all the American food terrible, over processed and completely different quality to what we are used to here. Still, I went to Denny's and IHOP for breakfasts dot experience diner eating, but I felt sick afterwards. There is a Nobu there at one of the hotels if you want fine dining.

Leather soul was a bit of a disappointment. Some great shoes in there but even more expensive than you'd think and the service is pretty woeful if your a gringo, they really just cater to the Japanese market, as do all the luxury stores around there (LS has moved since then though I think). There's a big outlet centre thing a bit out of Honolulu and a decent mall that has the likes of macys, Bloomingdales, jcrew etc etc.

10. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Less impressive than CD's finds, but my thrifting over the past few days returned a Drakes tie for $3 and a 1958 original issue US navy pea coat for a whole $10. It was slightly too large for me so I gave it to a friend, but had I seen that it could have fetched about $200 on the Bay I potentially would have been less generous.

If anyone sees one of these again, buy it immediately with no questions asked. They are things of beauty: heavy, rugged, built to last centuries, warm and the history of them makes them so much more interesting than your average piece of clothing.

This one had corduroy lined pockets and I'm pretty sure it was made by Schott in New York.

Also, I passed by the Suit Shop store and poked my head in on Friday. It appeared to already have more traffic than anything else on the top level of the Strand. Good work Romp!

1 person likes this.
  11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

It's not about the money, money, money
    We don't need your money, money, money
    We just wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the Price Tag.

Ain't about the (ha) Cha-Ching Cha-Ching.
    Aint about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
    Wanna make the world dance,
    Forget about the Price Tag.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Not sure if you're trying to be snarky or not, but I sort of agree with this.

When I found all this stuff yesterday, I was pretty much shaking with excitement. It wasn't because I was getting a bargain, it was rhe thrill of finding all of these beautiful things. I had no idea what it would end up costing, and I didn't care.

When it was done, the lady running the shop thanked me profusely for giving so much to her charity. Which was another buzz on top of the first. I struggle to think of a better win-win.

2 people like this.
  13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Brooks Brothers is my sartorial dream (minus the centre vents...)

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Oh for sure, it's only the thrill of the find that keeps me thrifting. I wasn't being serious about flogging it on ebay. My friend was a bit sceptical at first but once I explained the history of it and he looked up the serial number to confirm it was 1958 he was pretty excited which made it totally worth it.

Something else interesting about that pea coat was that the guy selling it to me said he had picked it up from a Saba outlet. I know why: the measurements and look were almost exactly the same as a pea coat model that Saba released last year in a really nice unlined wool (Amazingly, some of Saba's stuff over the past two years has been acceptable). So the design team must have bought this to base their design and measurements from. Very interesting to see how items which were designed as being purely utlilitarian become style/fashion staples. Another great example would be the German Army Trainer.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Well I'm back - don't know if I should go back and respond to every post for the last two weeks, just pick out Oli's posts or roll them into one or write a diary of the journey, after I detox. Maybe I should start one of those poll voting thingo threads.

1 person likes this.
  16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Any remnant PTSD from your time in Sydney?

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

Flash backs at 3am where I'm trapped inside a Nick Cave song mashed with a Whitely painting and Housos and see nightmarish visions of women in shorts, melanoma brown flesh and suburban tatts of ex defactos names walking side by side with blokes in 3/4 trousers and thongs and wife-beater singlets pushing prams on wharf 4 with Eddie Obeid as god dispensing franchises for chips and sauce. Combined with a head injury obtained by riding on a bus to nowhere with no maps of destination and a sign the says - after you've crashed into a pole - bus stopping - all accompanied by coffee that tastes like stale nescafe and fermented goats milk. And then I wake up in a semi conscious state - - and I'm in Canberra driving round and round and round on double lane roads with no trucks but cyclists everywhere and roundabouts 6 kilometers across with no exit and and I cant reach my destination all accompanied by coffee that tastes like stale nescafe and fermented goats milk.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Anyone go to White Night last night? Stupendous crowd, and some really impressive light shows going on. I've put up a photo of Flinders St on my Tumblr; gives you the idea.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I think you should stop smoking that blue meth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.