• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firstly, can I say, it wasn't me that was selling them, I just found them and thought someone here might like them.

Regarding fit, at a guess, I would say yes they'll fit you. I wear US8.5D in Alden, and I recently bought some C&J in UK 7.5E and they fit very well. So probably yes.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate. It was a top deal. Thanks for sharing the deal here. Why didn't you pull the trigger ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30079217...rksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true#ht_500wt_949
Do you think the heels need to be replaced ?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not only that, but with the shirting, you're effectively paying close to $200 or over that for 'mystery', 1-ply fabrics. If you pay $300 or so, you get better fabrics, whatever that means. Might be 2-ply or more, might not. And the fabric mill is still a mystery.
With PJohnson, a shirt in 2-ply Thomas Mason Silverline goes for about $225.
With Charles Nakhle, the average price for a good 2-ply shirting fabric he has in stock from the likes of Monti and Classic English Shirtings is $235. If you pay close to $300, we're talking Alumo 2-ply 120s or finer still.
So not interested, I'm afraid :(

I'd add to that also, that if you are in a city like Brisbane or Perth, the chances of having a well trained staff member to do your measurements would be fairly slim. My experience from both working for and being a customer of Herringbone is that most staff and managers would not be capable of this, bar the Ethan's, Massimo and other few exceptions of the H/Bone world.

Training to be a MTM fitter is a lot of work and it takes time and you really need someone senior shadowing you for the first year or so to pick up things like dropped front rises, balance issue and the like. I was a MTM fitter at Fletcher Jones at 21 and wasn't even allowed to do coats for the first year, only trousers. So to me for the money they want unless you had one of the "tailors" measuring you i'd be hard pressed to see it as good value.

jmills

Reaction score
Thanks for the further comments and input. I had a quick look at the swatches in store, and if they're accurate, then the fabric is quite average.

At the moment, I'm just trying to get an actual decent shirt sorted to use as a template, and then I have something to work from, e.g. ordering online or interstate. As you point out, if there's nobody who can use their knowledge and experience to get it right for you, things get quite tricky.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah I dont know if im a fan of the measure yourself online ordered MTM suits. Instead of a $400 cheapie online id rather pay double for a suit measured and can meet the person etc. Guess its a balance between quality and price

Agreed. Depends on what you want and what you can pay for, where you are etc.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of carmina single monks online
This was my first foray into online shoes, and I am not sure whether I sized correctly or not.
They are very tight across the top of my foot (the highest part of my arch), though length and width (across the base of my toes) is perfect.
So tight that I was limping at the end of the day (my first day of wearing them), and even now the top of my foot feels a little bruised still.
They are a little difficult to get on as well, even with a shoe horn.
They are beautiful shoes and I dont really want to give them up.
Does anyone thnk they will "stretch"?
Should I persist, or sell them before they become more worn
simpson last?

Sell them - it wont stretch much across the top of the foot. Usually slight rubbing would be ok but tightness wont be

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd add to that also, that if you are in a city like Brisbane or Perth, the chances of having a well trained staff member to do your measurements would be fairly slim. My experience from both working for and being a customer of Herringbone is that most staff and managers would not be capable of this, bar the Ethan's, Massimo and other few exceptions of the H/Bone world.
Training to be a MTM fitter is a lot of work and it takes time and you really need someone senior shadowing you for the first year or so to pick up things like dropped front rises, balance issue and the like. I was a MTM fitter at Fletcher Jones at 21 and wasn't even allowed to do coats for the first year, only trousers. So to me for the money they want unless you had one of the "tailors" measuring you i'd be hard pressed to see it as good value.

QFT.

Good fitters are very hard to come by.

I've had quite a few MTM and even bespoke disasters. It's made me rather risk-averse.

I'll stick with Patrick and Charles for a while yet.

Agree that so-called 'online fitting' is an extremely risky venture. If most can't even get it right in person, what hope does one have on-line?

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of carmina single monks online

This was my first foray into online shoes, and I am not sure whether I sized correctly or not.

They are very tight across the top of my foot (the highest part of my arch), though length and width (across the base of my toes) is perfect.

So tight that I was limping at the end of the day (my first day of wearing them), and even now the top of my foot feels a little bruised still.

They are a little difficult to get on as well, even with a shoe horn.

They are beautiful shoes and I dont really want to give them up.

Does anyone thnk they will "stretch"?

Should I persist, or sell them before they become more worn

simpson last? 

Sell them - it wont stretch much across the top of the foot. Usually slight rubbing would be ok but tightness wont be

Thanks guys I think you are right. Alcudia last actually.

These are the shoes (not my picture):

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3687085

I really like them. They don't have any in the next size up unfortunately, otherwise I'd buy a replacement.

I will eventually get around to getting up an ebay/B+S listing for them, but if anyone here wants them I'd rather sell them locally for less hassle.

Worn once outside for about 9 hours. Show the signs of wear you'd expect after wearing for 9 hours: Minimal creasing on the upper, creasing on the strap, scuffed sole.
Size 8UK (my normal size, but I should have gone 8.5). Box and shoe bag.

Any offer considered, I have no idea what they are worth now, but they were 325 euro new.

Manuhiri

Reaction score
For me - I feel the cold and generally only wear T shirts - white only - under an open necked shirt in cold weather.
It has to be a heather grey V-neck under a shirt for me. In New York I was amazed that every second office worker seemed to go with the way too baggy open neck dress shirt with white T poking out coupled with 90s style baggy pleated dress pants.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,
I think this has been covered here before. Could anyone point me towards few top men’s fashion blogs in Australia.

Ash

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try this post by me and the few others after it for a start - http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/12000_50#post_5363170

A good list there, PS.

Even though Ethan is now in HK, I really like his "Rugged Old Salt" Tumblr blog as he clearly takes great care in his photographic compositions and has a good eye as well as technical skill. He also has some good, philosophical posts on clothing and life from time to time, too. I particularly like the fact that Ethan's posts are of his own making. There's nothing particularly wrong with re-posting content from elsewhere, but it can get a bit tiring to see the same things posted over and over again such as mid-century modern furniture, girls on bikes, girls with glasses, girls with glasses on bikes and so on!

To change the topic, I've taken advantage of the cooler weather and am wearing another double breasted suit today.

Details:
- RL Signature (made-in-USA precursor to RL Purple Label) DB suit in PoW check with light blue overcheck;
- Deer Style shirt in sky blue, end-on-end weave with wide spread collar;
- Marinella tie;
- Kent Wang white, linen pocket square; and
- C&J Audley shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads