• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

truevision

Reaction score

Tell us your budget.

Consider the Herring Hampstead (made by Loake) or something from Meermin. I don't think most of the higher up brands have any semi-brogues in light colours, except Trickers Belgrave/Kensington which are about $435 all up.

Tried to order both the loake Hilton and loake strand but both are delayed in production until december. Budget is up to $350

jmills

Reaction score
Tried to order both the loake Hilton and loake strand but both are delayed in production until december. Budget is up to $350

So you didn't like these? About $260 including postage, no trees. They are made by Loake.

Edit: There is a code for free trees as well.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What are you selling Romp?
Carmina Robert Last Captoes in black Calf 9UK like these (but black) http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/new-carmina-brown-leather-captoes-robert-last - had steel toe caps put on and about 5-10 wears

Carmina Simpson Last Punched Captoes in brown 9UK - these exact shoes bought from Ethan/The Armoury http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-brown-punched-captoe-oxford-simpson-last. Worn 10-15 times and has some toe wear (nothing major)

Wahts a fair price? Ill take photos this weekend along side my driving loafers:)

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you everyone for taking the time to advise.
Unfortunately, it is area 1 (above) where it is tight: across the top of the metatarsophalangeal joints. The width at the widest part of my foot and up the sides is perfect.
I have had dress shoes before, but have never worn monks before, so I was hoping that maybe this was a feature of monks that subsides after a few wears (as one cannot adjust the tightness over the dorsum of the foot like one can with laces)
I remember being told by a podiatrist 10 years ago that I had flat feet, and needed to buy orthotics from him. So much for that!
What is a fair price for shoes that have been worn once like this?

You'll get quite a bit of stretch out of the areas in No 2 pic. that will translate into height or width depending what you need.

A monk with a different type of flap will have more flexibility in that spot. See below

Flat feet and high arch aren't mutually exclusive - I have both - plus "loose ankles"

Do you get a lot of foot pain - burning sensation - after walking or standing?

I have orthotics - so do many others here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina Robert Last Captoes in black Calf 9UK like these (but black) http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/new-carmina-brown-leather-captoes-robert-last - had steel toe caps put on and about 5-10 wears 

Carmina Simpson Last Punched Captoes in brown 9UK - these exact shoes bought from Ethan/The Armoury http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-brown-punched-captoe-oxford-simpson-last. Worn 10-15 times and has some toe wear (nothing major)

Wahts a fair price? Ill take photos this weekend along side my driving loafers:)

About $50aud if worn without socks.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina Robert Last Captoes in black Calf 9UK like these (but black) http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/new-carmina-brown-leather-captoes-robert-last - had steel toe caps put on and about 5-10 wears 

Carmina Simpson Last Punched Captoes in brown 9UK - these exact shoes bought from Ethan/The Armoury http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-brown-punched-captoe-oxford-simpson-last. Worn 10-15 times and has some toe wear (nothing major)

Romp, I'm not sure what a fair price would be, but I'd be interested in the latter pair, as that's my size.

Obviously, if someone wants to take both pairs off your hands, then you should go for that offer.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you lost more than 15% from 1 wear, Romps' maybe 20-25%?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ok let me get some photos up for a fair assessment. Im not out to rip anyone off - just clearing my shoe shelves for some new ones that fit me better (i might try Rain or Inca last next - im in between simpson and robert)

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the free tree code still valid? It didn't seem to work for me
The code works for me. Try again?

As per my earlier reviews, the Herring/Loake Hilton leather will take longer to break in than Meermin classic line calf. Meermin Hiro last is very slightly tighter at the toes than 026 Last, but the heel area of 026 Last is slightly narrower and tighter than the Hiro Last. You need to size up 0.5 for Hiro ie for UK 8 Loake 026 Last, you need UK 8.5 Hiro Last.

davodiva

Reaction score
Yes - T Shirts are underwear.
As any shirt was originally. Basically anything touching the skin in the parts that excrete is underwear.
"Normal" shirts are now acceptable to be seen without a jacket covering. There was a time when even showing cuffs was a bit infra dig. Some of this may have had to do with cleanliness - mostly in those days cuffs and collars would be grubby at best and filthy mostly.
One of Brummell's significant contributions - often overlooked - was an emphasis on grooming and cleanliness. Both of person and clothes. Hence his famous reference to "country laundering" ,. Previously even dandies and the elite had just doused themselves in perfumes rather than wash, or especially bathe the whole body. ( we are talking about the soapdodgers English here) A custom that curiously lives on in male teenagers and the now ubiquitous boy-men who infest TV and media and haven't grown up. (just grab a can of supermarket harsh disinfectant smelling spray and spray it all over, on outside of clothes and don't shower).
The current "fashion" for wearing shirts hanging out has, sadly, much appealed to over 30s males with porky guts. So much so that tucking a shirt in is, and I kid you not, a topic of questions and discussions on clothing forums. If you don't believe me - search on this very SF forum the term"wearing a tucked in shirt" how to or similar.
This is not to denigrate the magnificent untucked authentic Hawaiian shirt or the short sleeved square bottomed summer shirt, al la Beach Boys. Or even the polo shirt worn untucked.
Since the USA military influence T shirts are now acceptable to wear without any covering.
Now I'd be one of the first to admit a nice clean not too tight, WHITE, T shirt worn on a trim torso has become classic with jeans. Sadly this has morphed into drab and dark coloured ill fitting t shirts on less than trim torsos and with random writings and images on them has come to be accepted - even amongst adults, and at work, who, one would think, should know better.
As far was wearing singlets - of any sort - under dress shirts and ties - count me out - I just don't get it - seems all wrong and like something a funny old uncle still living at home with your grandma would wear. Its especially wrong if the t shirt or Chesty Bond can be seen under or through the dress shirt.
Open necked shirts on the other hand, often look best with a high crew T shirt.
Its a great 50s - 60s, Americana clean look. (not to mention it conveniently masks part of the male neck - a body part I'm well on the record as describing as visually ugly, on a par with bare ankles and male genitalia outside of passion and lust situations)
For me - I feel the cold and generally only wear T shirts - white only - under an open necked shirt in cold weather.
Now, this is a subject of pervasive interest to me. Being an ex athlete (broad chest long legs - middle distance - ok - but yes now a little flab and paunch - must tighten up blah blah) I've always wanted good cotton close to my skin. SO ...I wear quality -not tight - polo neck T shirts (white, navy, black) under my - mostly tieless - roomy shirts. (usually my teaching uniform) Works well.....BUT such T's can be constraining/around shoulder/arm. (eg demonstating fast bowling technique) Solution? I cut the sleeves off - with sissors or shears.....generally can't be done neatly...so I let the charismatic ragged 'au naturale' look prevail - invariably raises a larf if I ever have to remove shirt. (and the ragged edge can't be seen under the shirt/shoulder) My sleeveless T 's are termed 'wifebeaters' by a young cricketing mate of mine....so clearly I'm not the first to wear these....but who else does? (am I in good company? ie not only bogans and real 'wifebeaters'?) Can one BUY such items of good quality? Answers in your best handwriting please.

jmills

Reaction score
I've always thought that not wearing one was the answer to all of these problems, and more. I'm happy to accept it as a question of personal preference, but I would not have predicted that they were as popular here as they are.

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of tomorrow for a bit of thrifting; I'm after a sweater in Melbourne.
Where are your best thrifting locations in Melbourne city?

P.S.
Will check tomorrow morning before I'm on my way (sorry such a late post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads