• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score
Romp, what watch are you wearing the Natos with?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Romp, what watch are you wearing the Natos with?

borrowed a vintage sub .. im not a rolex fan but wanted to rock a nato for summer.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FXH, just interested to know, not criticising, I read yesterday (maybe) that you referred to white undershirts as underwear. If that's the case and in the interests of good taste should underwear not be shown? I'll wear crew necks when I wear a tie but if going tie less always a v-neck.

Yes - T Shirts are underwear.

As any shirt was originally. Basically anything touching the skin in the parts that excrete is underwear.

"Normal" shirts are now acceptable to be seen without a jacket covering. There was a time when even showing cuffs was a bit infra dig. Some of this may have had to do with cleanliness - mostly in those days cuffs and collars would be grubby at best and filthy mostly.

One of Brummell's significant contributions - often overlooked - was an emphasis on grooming and cleanliness. Both of person and clothes. Hence his famous reference to "country laundering" ,. Previously even dandies and the elite had just doused themselves in perfumes rather than wash, or especially bathe the whole body. ( we are talking about the soapdodgers English here) A custom that curiously lives on in male teenagers and the now ubiquitous boy-men who infest TV and media and haven't grown up. (just grab a can of supermarket harsh disinfectant smelling spray and spray it all over, on outside of clothes and don't shower).

The current "fashion" for wearing shirts hanging out has, sadly, much appealed to over 30s males with porky guts. So much so that tucking a shirt in is, and I kid you not, a topic of questions and discussions on clothing forums. If you don't believe me - search on this very SF forum the term"wearing a tucked in shirt" how to or similar.

This is not to denigrate the magnificent untucked authentic Hawaiian shirt or the short sleeved square bottomed summer shirt, al la Beach Boys. Or even the polo shirt worn untucked.

Since the USA military influence T shirts are now acceptable to wear without any covering.

Now I'd be one of the first to admit a nice clean not too tight, WHITE, T shirt worn on a trim torso has become classic with jeans. Sadly this has morphed into drab and dark coloured ill fitting t shirts on less than trim torsos and with random writings and images on them has come to be accepted - even amongst adults, and at work, who, one would think, should know better.

As far was wearing singlets - of any sort - under dress shirts and ties - count me out - I just don't get it - seems all wrong and like something a funny old uncle still living at home with your grandma would wear. Its especially wrong if the t shirt or Chesty Bond can be seen under or through the dress shirt.

Open necked shirts on the other hand, often look best with a high crew T shirt.
Its a great 50s - 60s, Americana clean look. (not to mention it conveniently masks part of the male neck - a body part I'm well on the record as describing as visually ugly, on a par with bare ankles and male genitalia outside of passion and lust situations)

For me - I feel the cold and generally only wear T shirts - white only - under an open necked shirt in cold weather.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
"Normal" shirts are now acceptable to be seen without a jacket covering. There was a time when even showing cuffs was a bit infra dig. Some of this may have had to do with cleanliness - mostly in those days cuffs and collars would be grubby at best and filthy mostly.
One of Brummell's significant contributions - often overlooked - was an emphasis on grooming and cleanliness. Both of person and clothes. Hence his famous reference to "country laundering" ,. Previously even dandies and the elite had just doused themselves in perfumes rather than wash, or especially bathe the whole body. ( we are talking about the soapdodgers English here) A custom that curiously lives on in male teenagers and the now ubiquitous boy-men who haven't grown up. (just grab a can of supermarket harsh disinfectant smelling spray and spray it all over, on outside of clothes and don't shower).
The current "fashion" for wearing shirts hanging out has, sadly, much appealed to over 30s males with porky guts. So much so that tucking a shirt in is, and I kid you not, a topic of questions and discussions on clothing forums. If you don't believe me - search on this very SF forum the term"wearing a tucked in shirt" how to or similar.
This is not to denigrate the magnificent untucked authentic Hawaiian shirt or the short sleeved square bottomed summer shirt, al la Beach Boys. Or even the polo shirt worn untucked.
Since the USA military influence T shirts are now acceptable to wear without any covering.
Now I'd be one of the first to admit a nice clean not too tight, WHITE, T shirt worn on a trim torso has become classic with jeans. Sadly this has morphed into drab and dark coloured ill fitting t shirts on less than trim torsos and with random writings and images on them has come to be accepted - even amongst adults, and at work, who, one would think, should know better.
As far was wearing singlets - of any sort - under dress shirts and ties - count me out - I just don't get it - seems all wrong and like something a funny old uncle still living at home with your grandma would wear. Its especially wrong if the t shirt or Chesty Bond can be seen under or through the dress shirt.
Open necked shirts on the other hand, often look best with a high crew T shirt.
Its a great 50s - 60s, Americana clean look. (not to mention it conveniently masks part of the male neck - a body part I'm well on the record as describing as visually ugly, on a par with bare ankles and male genitalia outside of passion and lust situations)
For me - I feel the cold and generally only wear T shirts - white only - under an open necked shirt in cold weather.

I think t-shirts are fine if tasteful and in the right situation. Sure once even shirts were underwear - but I hope you guys change your clothes daily and bathe daily in this day and age!

Im all for remaining relevant . in a stylish way of course! :)

bhall41

Reaction score

Quote: borrowed a vintage sub .. im not a rolex fan but wanted to rock a nato for summer.
Nice, vintage Subs are the perfect partner for NATO straps. I recently sold my 5513 for a vintage GMT. While you can still rock a NATO with a GMT, the Sub offers more options. Enjoy!

jmills

Reaction score
Well, that was a day! PJ's apparently coming to town, I heard someone chatting with a store assistant about an M.J. Bale store opening in Perth soon, and someone sent me details of a good tailor. Plenty to think about.

Last edited:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of carmina single monks online

This was my first foray into online shoes, and I am not sure whether I sized correctly or not.

They are very tight across the top of my foot (the highest part of my arch), though length and width (across the base of my toes) is perfect.

So tight that I was limping at the end of the day (my first day of wearing them), and even now the top of my foot feels a little bruised still.
They are a little difficult to get on as well, even with a shoe horn.

They are beautiful shoes and I dont really want to give them up.

Does anyone thnk they will "stretch"?
Should I persist, or sell them before they become more worn

eightace

Reaction score
copped them ! thanks !
I have wide feet. I wear US 8 EEE or 8.5 D. Will these fit me ?

Firstly, can I say, it wasn't me that was selling them, I just found them and thought someone here might like them.

Regarding fit, at a guess, I would say yes they'll fit you. I wear US8.5D in Alden, and I recently bought some C&J in UK 7.5E and they fit very well. So probably yes.

Best of luck.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell.

Minor discomforts can be overcome... limping? I doubt it.

You're going to spend so much time in your shoes (years if they're good ones) that if they're not comfortable you'll never be comfortable. They should be a pleasure to put on in the morning, not something you dread.

Sounds like you need something with a higher vamp/arch area.

Next time wear I'd wear them around on carpet for a while if you can.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a nice place to get a slim fit, navy or grey sports blazer on the cheap? will be wearing it with a white grazier shirt, jeans and RMWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads