Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

Yes for me (except for 3 recent shirts that came with the wrong collar but which I'm wearing anyway ...)

2. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I suggest that if you don't have well fitting shirts to start with you won't know how you want them to fit either and furthermore what you want may not be ideal / the most flattering*. Using darted waist measurements can cause problems as the cloth is only being take out of the back**.

*As a general comment on people in this situation rather than advice about this situation or posters.

** You may or may not need/ want darts in the final shirt anyway.

Jmills about a 3.5, so a narrowish spread I suppose. (Credit Kabbaz for the image)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Tobiasj - what about this outfit for your jacket (from the Rose and Born magazine -http://roseborn.com/uploads/weekend-wardrobe/4.jpg), I think it is called the fxh hipster special, bicycle needed to complete look -
    [​IMG]

Here are a few other ideas from my Tumblr archives -

4. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

My collar pref is a higher semi-cutaway
    [​IMG]

Thats my question! Is there one? or is the hierachy

$300-500 = DIY MTM online

$500-1300 = DJS/HB OTR

$1300-2000 = PJohnson

2k+ = "bespoke" but im not sure there are many tailors worthy in australia.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Ha ha - in that case I think the best suggestion I can make is for you to go with your instinct ;)

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sounds like you would not have to wait too long -
    P Johnson Tailors- Perth Visit
    Tom will be conducting fittings in Perth on Wednesday 14th November till Friday 16th November at the Duxton Hotel on St Georges Tce. To book an appointment please email [email protected] or call 0488 207 240

Am going to pick up my new P Johnson kit today, something to look forward to (four shirts and a suit).

7. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

cant wait to see!

I might order a green suit next week =D

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Not only that, but with the shirting, you're effectively paying close to $200 or over that for 'mystery', 1-ply fabrics. If you pay $300 or so, you get better fabrics, whatever that means. Might be 2-ply or more, might not. And the fabric mill is still a mystery.

With PJohnson, a shirt in 2-ply Thomas Mason Silverline goes for about $225.

With Charles Nakhle, the average price for a good 2-ply shirting fabric he has in stock from the likes of Monti and Classic English Shirtings is $235. If you pay close to $300, we're talking Alumo 2-ply 120s or finer still.

So not interested, I'm afraid :(

10. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks for that pinky - I'll certainly be rockin' that look as soon as the sun peeks out here. (do people still "rock" looks or is there another word?)

On a related note - driving down Clarendon Street - yesterday I spied a young, tall bloke in a grey suit, - as much as I could tell from a distance it was well enough made and new, tie, (and socks!) very tight, skinny skinny trousers, and tight jacket so short, and I'm not exaggerating here, it was about belt length - it was well above his bum.

Its a funny old world.

12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

It is a bit out there. Would depend on what you already had in your wardrobe (am guessing you have the basics more than covered) and where you would/could (ie what work dress code) wear it.

Say that, I think it looks good and if you got the jacket made in the right way (soft shoulders, horn/MOP buttons, patch pockets for example) you could wear both jacket and trousers as separates.

Personally I would probably go with khaki, tan, brown or olive, but that is only because they would probably be more versatile and suit me better (and my wardrobe needs more basics).

But hell, be seen in green.

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Once you cop an item, I believe you can be stunting in it for the sprezz...but what the hell do I know?

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, at the risk of proselytising - as I mentioned a few posts back:

In other words, Deer Style will do a half-canvassed, MTO suit where you are measured up by an experienced, knowledgeable and friendly person for $900 upwards. Of course, if you want a full floating canvas or full handwork (and the full handwork suits are excellent - the hand-stitched pad-stitching behind the lapels is beautiful and the buttonholes are lovely) you pay more, and if you want H&S or Fox cloth, you pay more, too.

I've got to order another couple of odd jackets for summer - time to arrange a meeting with Rene from Deer Style...

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

You forgot the next line: I'm just a Chi-town n*gga with a nice flow..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.