• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there anyone in Sydney that can make handmade button holes? I've picked up a couple of suits that have unfinished sleeves.

My go to guy has recently moved to Melbourne so i'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Varnavas C Classic Tailoring.

Great guy - however I believe he may have problems on his eye sight. last few times(3 years ago ) myself and my friends used him always had uneven stitching. Couldn't even re fit buttons on jacket sleeves straight !

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great guy - however I believe he may have problems on his eye sight. last few times(3 years ago ) myself and my friends used him always had uneven stitching. Couldn't even re fit buttons on jacket sleeves straight !

Is this a referral for who not to go to?

eightace

Reaction score

I've had mixed results there.

corey.m

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an M.J. Bale Samurai Suit in grey blue glen plaid size 42/36 for sale. Made in Japan by Ring Jacket with full canvas construction. Literally worn once a year ago. Has sat in my wardrobe since. Was listed as a drop 7, but feels a little closer to a drop 8.

Getting married next month - Originally $1300, pickup or drop off in the Sydney conservative business dress for $650.

Also have a pair of Crocket and Jones Westfield's in dark brown calf size 10F for sale. Like new with some shop scuffs on the sole.

Originally $650, pickup or drop off in the Sydney conservative business dress for $325.

If you come and pick them both up from my joint - $900.

Cheers.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It appears that you might be having issues with certain aspects of marketing, not marketing per se.

After all, getting word out to the public that a product/service exists, is also part of marketing. Surely the knowledge that something you desire actually exists adds value to you, rather than detract from it?

I get the gist of what you are saying though. But I reckon you might have cast the net too far on your first go. That's no biggie.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's quite fair.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt pays $10,800 ACCC fine for misleading pricing on shirts Lucy Cormack THE AGE

When a store compares a "was" price to a "now" price, it can be the difference between a shopper purchasing something and not. The only problem is, what if the product was never actually purchased for the original price?

The practice is known as two-price comparison advertising, and this week it left a London-based clothing manufacturer and retailer paying a penalty of more than $10,000.

The Charles Tyrwhitt shirt which was advertised at once being $160 despite no consumer ever having paid that price.

Charles Tyrwhitt LLP sells men's and women's shirts, business clothing and accessories which are advertised extensively online and in printed catalogue inserts in Australian newspapers and magazines. The brand, which spruiks "exemplary customer service, with smashing prices and a pinch of British charm thrown in for good measure," is known for its deal-based offers, like its set of four shirts for $199. But following an investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the retailer was issued a $10,800 penalty and an infringement notice for contravening the Australian Consumer Law with its "was/now" pricing practices in the sale of at least 737 business shirts.

The ACCC found Charles Tyrwhitt had made a false or misleading representation in relation to the "was" price of a men's "slim fit non-iron micro-spot white" shirt on its website, between February 2016 and March 2016.

Charles Tyrwhitt LLP sells men's and women's shirts, business clothing and accessories which are advertised extensively online and in catalogue inserts.

The shirt was advertised with a "was" price of $160 and a "now" price of $69, however the "was" price had only been advertised for a short period in a section of the Charles Tyrwhitt website which was difficult to locate, and no consumer had ever purchased the shirt at that price.

The ACCC determined that the pricing falsely represented to consumers that by purchasing the shirt there would be a saving, when that was not the case.

The retailer is popular for its multi-shirt deals.
"Was/now price representations are likely to be misleading if the products have not been sold at the 'was' price for a reasonable period immediately before the sale or 'now' price is offered," said ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court. "Comparative advertising can be a powerful marketing tool but it is essential that retailers ensure that any advertised savings are real, truthful and accurate." Ms Court said the enforcement action against Charles Tyrwhitt served as a reminder to overseas businesses that supplying products to Australian consumers required that they comply with Australian regulations.

Australian consumer law states that businesses that use two-price comparison advertising, like "was/now" prices, "strike through" or indicating a particular dollar amount or percentage saving, must ensure consumers are not misled about the potential savings.

Charles Tyrwhitt did not respond to a request for comment.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
serves them right. they're also pretty annoying with their marketing too - constant hardcopy junk mail

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads