• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ransyn

Reaction score
I haven't looked in a couple of years but last time I looked at the price of Church's in Sydney, I got sticker shock. There's a serious markup vs ordering them online! Worth, perhaps, trying on in DJ for size then ordering from one of the UK merchants?

thats still the case, still deffinately cheaper if you buy from pediwear or herring. I used DJ to get my size for some loake1880 and bought em online though now theres a export ban on loakes to australia so i had to find someone who would send to down here.

Contango

Reaction score
I genuinely wonder whether Loake will maintain anywhere near the level of sales from their Australian distributor than they would've made through o/s online retailers. Everyone I know who's worn Loake has bought from overseas, but I doubt any of us would buy locally at such inflated prices. I'd rather buy C&J or Carmina.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genuinely wonder whether Loake will maintain anywhere near the level of sales from their Australian distributor than they would've made through o/s online retailers. Everyone I know who's worn Loake has bought from overseas, but I doubt any of us would buy locally at such inflated prices. I'd rather buy C&J or Carmina.
I actually sort of have the answer for that generally. In 2011 [1], CBA analyzed the bank accounts of over 1 million of their customers and calculated that a full 75% of e-commerce revenue was cross-border (i.e. inbound from abroad). The figure has apparently increased although no other study with such a large sample has been done.

Having worked for a few fashion companies in APAC, I can assure you Asos terrifies them; and I heard from someone at Asos that Australia was one of their biggest and most profitable markets despite not having local staff beyond a handful of people to troubleshoot any issues with inbound shipping.

The question is why brands felt it necessary to set MSRP a full 50% higher in Australia. I guess the extra profit for the 25% who buy locally makes it more worthwhile than higher volume at smaller margins.

[1] http://globalmarketsresearch.commba...e5cad/Onlineretaildata-28-Jul-2011-0008-1.pdf

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually sort of have the answer for that generally. In 2011 [1], CBA analyzed the bank accounts of over 1 million of their customers and calculated that a full 75% of e-commerce revenue was cross-border (i.e. inbound from abroad). The figure has apparently increased although no other study with such a large sample has been done. 

Having worked for a few fashion companies in APAC, I can assure you Asos terrifies them; and I heard from someone at Asos that Australia was one of their biggest and most profitable markets despite not having local staff beyond a handful of people to troubleshoot any issues with inbound shipping.

The question is why brands felt it necessary to set MSRP a full 50% higher in Australia. I guess the extra profit for the 25% who buy locally makes it more worthwhile than higher volume at smaller margins.

[1] http://globalmarketsresearch.commba...e5cad/Onlineretaildata-28-Jul-2011-0008-1.pdf 
I remember that report - will have to dig my notes out on it. It was done with the ABS IIRC who calculated about $11b (again, IIRC) worth of online imports, which is chicken feed in the scheme of our total trade. What's hardly ever mentioned in this debate is the e-commerce from Australia to overseas, and it is significant.

As for ASOS apparently a 747 load of their stuff lands in Australia every day.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked my Alpha Industries M65.

"liked"? did it die? did you replace it?

Oli had to get rid of it because it was green, rather than black or grey, so it didn't go with the rest of his wardrobe.
tongue.gif

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Really love the ps m65. at Aspesi - but the back length is quite short at 28.35". And won't cover a suit jacket. Do you mind me asking the back length and did you size up?
I have a Paul Smith M65 which I quite enjoy as a light layering piece. Not to start the the urban huntsman argument again but pic below. Second that on the Liddesdale - Amazed at the lightness.

Last edited:

crappbag

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Really love the ps m65. at Aspesi - but the back length is quite short at 28.35". And won't cover a suit jacket. Do you mind me asking the back length and did you size up?

Mine is a Small with a BoC back length of 29.5" so it definitely covers my suits. They run kinda large as well so a Small wears like a size 38 or even a bit larger than that.

The sleeves are also quite long and I need to cuff them so they sit right. Uncuffed from top of shoulder mine measures 27"

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul smith one is awesome, can't see it anywhere online though.

Tried a liddeddale on in David Jones yesterday, not really a fan.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul smith one is awesome, can't see it anywhere online though.

Tried a liddeddale on in David Jones yesterday, not really a fan.

Ps website shows a SS version in sand colour, unlined. Liddesdale has quickly became my favourite jacket to wear over suit. Maybe try again over a suit. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads