Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. VSSB

VSSB New Member

Hi everyone,

Long time browser, first time poster.

Apologies for disrupting the conversational flow, but I thought i'd chime in with a quick hello. My name is Vinny, and I am based in Brisbane and I am the co-founder of a menswear blog, and a made to measure brand.

I am quite new to the scene, my MTM brand Cabal & Co has been operational for just over a year, and my blog, which is entitled The Sartorial Journal, has been active since January.

Both have been quite well received thus far, and The Sartorial Journal has in fact organically accumulated over 20,000 followers in the last 4 and a bit months which is heartening.

My partner and I strive to provide insightful, authentic content on our blog, and seek to fuse modern sensibility with distinctly classical undertones with our MTM brand.

We both are self-taught, and bear no formal fashion education. I'm looking to continue to expand my knowledge base via Style Forum, to get around the banter, and meet like minded individuals in both Brissie and throughout AUS.

If any of you guys get a second, I’d love to get your two cents on my business and blog. Looking forward to getting amongst it

The Sartorial Journal

Instagram: @sartorialjournal
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sartorialjournal

Cabal & Co

www.facebook.com/cabalandco
    www.cabalandco.com
    Instagram: @cabalandco

2. ghosty06

ghosty06 Active Member

What are prices of Galways like at Doublemonk?

Also, do they do MTO service with St Crispins including sending samples to try on lasts?

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Thanks junior I'm overwhelmed by your cultural and sartorial acumen.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

It is ugly but.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

True, but then it's not trying to win a "most attractive jacket" award. Instead, it's aiming at a more "trad" or "ivy" aesthetic.

Of course, it'd probably win more fans if the outer layer was blue, green or brown/tan, instead of orange!

Where's it from, GF?

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Or Midsomers Murders

7. Geoffrey Firmin

RL and for a weekend outdoors in a Canberra winter it's fine, water and wind resistant.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

In my comprehensive 3 monthly audit (wander) of Melbourne s clothing retailers men's and women's - I've made the observation that Burnt Orange (and other less attractive variations) are this seasons new black.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

What! I won't look like the Tax Man?

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Word is the big retailers are not shifting winter stock at all - especially here in Melbourne - the never ending election won't help as people slow down retail spending until election is over.

So we need either/or both an extended cold snap of at least a week to stimulate sales and the election to be over for sales of heavy coats etc to pick up.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

CR Sportscraft Ternary are discounting between 25-40% on their winter stock already.

12. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

hey, i'm heading to sydney soon and have a few quick questions.

1. is there anywhere in the CBD where i can try on trickers and churchs other than double monk + henry buck? what are their selections (and pricing) usually like?
    2. any CBD stores to pick up a nice tie or two? i'm not sure if kazuna, oscar hunt etc have ready-made ones to purchase? 'nice' to me for a tie is less than $120ish, so drakes etc is probably too much for my blood.
    3. if anyone can suggest a decent italian restaurant in the CBD where i can make a booking for dinner it'd be appreciated. happy to pay up to $200 for 2 (neither myself or my partner drink, so wine etc isn't a consideration). nothing too stuffy because i'll probably be wearing jeans and vans or something.

thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  13. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Kazuna has ties you can buy in store

14. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

I ski in a burnt orange alpine technical jacket. For some reason people assume I'm ski patrol, so I can't hang around too long in one place. It's the high-vis aspect...

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  15. crdb

crdb Senior member

Not quite CBD but a 5 minute Uber away, had a lovely dinner recently at Ombretta in Glebe. They rotate through Italian regions every week (I think) and present a fresh menu accordingly, although it will be very different from the "international Italian style". Relaxed atmosphere with great service. Should easily be within budget.

If you have to stick around CBD, Redoak was not too bad the one time I went but gets crowded even on weeknights.

If you're willing to adventure beyond Italian (well, it's sort of Italian in spirit) and beyond CBD, the Farmhouse in Kings Cross is a destination, and still well within budget.