1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. fxh

fxh Senior member

The only sensible way to retain Oli - would be to retain him in Remand.

2. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Few items for sale in the classifieds, would love an Aussie buyer. Check it out if you're interested in size small menswear (Aspesi rain jacket) and streetwear (Schneider, Geller, Opening Ceremony jackets).

3. eightace

eightace Senior member

Gents,

Any suggestions for quality cufflinks in Sydney? (Not novelty ones)

Been to Henry Bucks and DJs, would be grateful for any other suggestions.

Cheers,

Eightace

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

People seem to suggest Kazuna for everything else in Sydney, maybe he has some too!

1 person likes this.
  5. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

Its been a few years since being Sydney based, but also Herringbone used to have some. Nowadays most of mine are online purchases (mainly UK), as there is much better selection.

1 person likes this.
  6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I really like the ones I got from Kent Wang (not that I ever wear them).

2 people like this.
  7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Have you had a look in strand hatters? Last time I was in there they had quite a bit of accessory type stuff like links

1 person likes this.
  8. eightace

eightace Senior member

Thanks for the tips re. cufflinks gents, I'll check them out.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

Best places for cuff links is Opshops - some surprisingly good ones or especially antique markets they have millions of cuff links and not very expensive - like $25 - $50 for very very nice ones and some unusual ones. With all sorts of different fastenings. My mate has hundreds of those 70s ones with the chain/band link underneath - as well as other types - he used to collect/ buy them from eBay USA by the bagfull - about 20 or so - for around $20 . I have a soft spot for them. There is an Australian site that sells vintage cufflinks at a reasonable price- can't remember the name now. Vintage cuff links win every time if you are going to wear cuff-links.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    3 people like this.
  10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Couldn't agree more. Mexican silver, loads of Art Deco MOP, Versace, Cartier, plenty of double-sided links, snap links. Huge range of nice stuff, nearly all under $20.

1 person likes this.
  11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

See my sig for some shoes I'm selling.

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

See my sig for some perfectly good suits I've been spectacularly unable to sell.

Offers considered.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I don't have a sig (fark auto correct) and nothing to sell. Mind you a certain Mr Luis Cypher did come knocking and wanted a signature in blood but on the advice of fxh I declined, wasn't paying enough if you ask me..

Anyone watching Rake?

H&K who manufacture in the People's Republic of Scotland and H&H are having sales.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  14. eightace

eightace Senior member

Agreed re. the op shops for cufflinks. But I needed new ones for a gift.

Stumbled upon some nice cufflinks in the QVB, at a shop called Baroque Jewellery. A nice simple design in lapis-lazuli, MOP and sterling silver.

[​IMG]

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

15. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Well-Known Member

Re Rake - tragically funny. Roxburgh is in his element. Missed the last episode but I do believe they repeat on the weekends?

Bit late in the game for a suggestion on the cufflinks however there is a lovely lady by the name of Antonia Scales who has a stand at Balmain markets on the grounds of the little church near Our Place. Great selection of sterling silver cufflinks (of which I have several pairs) and lots of trinkets for the ladies too so you can always distract the missus whilst money and goods change hands. Oh and she does repairs free of charge on all her items.

1 person likes this.
  16. shellshoe

shellshoe Member

Does anyone know if Hermanbros is still in operation or is he taking a break? The website is up and running but attempts to contact Herman have been unsuccessful thus far.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

[​IMG]

At last some honesty and integrity in the election.

18. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

PM'd you Oli.

19. clayb

clayb Member

Hi guys,

Is there still a consensus that by wearing a pair of burgundy shoes like the Loake Strand Burgundy in a typical office in the CBD (technical, non client-facing, occasional suit and tie but shirt and pant most of the time otherwise), you are "making a statement" and should be prepared for getting a lot of attention and probably criticism from black-only wearers?

I like burgundy for its versatility and apparently it's the best colour for my navy/charcoal pants and occasional suits according to many people in SF and around the web, and cannot understand why most people in Melbourne just wear black shoes all the time. However as a new guy I prefer to just blend in instead of making a statement or draw too much attention from people if that is the case.

Is the post below from Selvaggio in the old thread still relevant today and so I should stick with a pair or two of black cap toe oxford shoes just to be safe? Thanks.

Quote:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  20. eightace

eightace Senior member

Fitpic from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just like the cufflinks, better in real life.