1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. md2010

md2010 Distinguished Member

Hi gents, any advice on top shelf quality m65 jacket. Also a quick review of my recently acquired Barbour heritage liddesdale jacket. Heritage line is slim fit. There is a great amount of waist suppression. Best to take your normal size. I went down a size to an xs. Luckily it still fits quite good, even over a suit. Mine looks very fitted. Downside of a fitted jacket is no further room on shoulder and armholes . It is easy to wear over suit and don't scream for attention(blacked out snap buttons also helps).And best part is keeps you warm during cold mornings. I am surprised how quickly it became an essential item of my wardrobe. I would suggest you go for a navy ; as it's more versatile and formal option. There are 2 version of this jacket Classic and heritage. Classic is very boxy and you must drop a size. It is very light weight and I can easily pack it inside my briefcase (Folson 247). It's shower and wind proof - but not waterproof. Great jacket to throw over a suit on a rainy day if you are also carrying an umbrella.Pictures will follow soon. Anyone planning to buy a jacket this winter to wear casually and also over tailored clothing; consider this seriously. Bang per bucks- great value. I picked mine for $170 aud including shipping from end during the recent sale. Xs measurements- s17", chest 40.5", l29" and sleeves 26".

2. Contango

Contango Senior Member

Head down to Otto at Woolloomooloo on the wharf.

http://ottoristorante.com.au/menu/

Close enough to the CBD.

Nowadays I think it's a safe enough bet that you won't see Lawsie there to risk it.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Distinguished Member

Fratelli Fresh in Bridge St. Personally I prefer Walsh Bay food is consistently good.

4. sliq

sliq Distinguished Member

my favourite Italian is at Pastizzi in Newtown. about 10 mins from cbd depending on how horrendous King st is.

5. sliq

Aspesi?

6. em36

em36 Senior Member

Excellent suggestion. If you want to get out of the CBD, and enjoy fantastic Italian food, suggest any of the restos in Haberfield.

7. sliq

Pasticeria Papa in haberfield bake a mean ricotta cheesecake [​IMG]

8. crappbag

crappbag Senior Member

Pendelino in the Strand Arcade would be my go to option for upmarket Italian in the CBD. Has a very intimate vibe as well.

9. crappbag

crappbag Senior Member

I have a Paul Smith M65 which I quite enjoy as a light layering piece. Not to start the the urban huntsman argument again but pic below.
    [​IMG]

Second that on the Liddesdale - Amazed at the lightness.

[​IMG]

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

11. Ransyn

Ransyn Active Member

Not from syd but just general advice but fairly sure david jones stock church's if your just looking to try them on. In terms of range though your not gonna get a wide variety.

12. crdb

crdb Distinguished Member

I haven't looked in a couple of years but last time I looked at the price of Church's in Sydney, I got sticker shock. There's a serious markup vs ordering them online! Worth, perhaps, trying on in DJ for size then ordering from one of the UK merchants?

13. Contango

Contango Senior Member

That's good news, I might finally take the plunge with him. Looks like he's put his prices up lately unfortunately. Last time I asked he checked with his maker in Japan who seemed a bit put out at the request.

14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

How do Kaz's shows compare to popular StyFo brands - Carmina, Vass, Alden etc?

15. Contango

Contango Senior Member

Might try and drop in this afternoon for a look if I get time. From the maker's website the lasts aren't as elegant as Carmina and Vass. From what I've read about this place people seem to get a good fit and the quality is also good, but have yet to see it for myself.

I see from Kaz's website that he's using Baxter and Black for doing the toe plates. Tempted to contact B&B directly to get some of my existing shoes done.

Last edited: May 12, 2016