1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Old people have just as much right to dictate the future of their country as young people. Dying sooner doesn't make it less valid.

2 people like this.
  2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Matt, we may often disagree about music, but on this subject we appear to be 100% in accord. You've hit the nail on the head: "Leave" was driven purely by racism and xenophobia, nothing else.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

SF,

if you could only have one piece of outerwear which would you choose?

I'm tossing up between a peacoat and my Barbour jacket.

4. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Well-Known Member

Of those two @Oli2012? Peacoat probably, but might be willing to give the Barbour a chance if it's not wax coated.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

The same thing happened when the UK joined the EU, surely.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

First you live in Sydney so how much wear would you get out of a Peacoat?

I get a lot of use out of my Peacoat but then I live where we have a real winter.

7. California Dreamer

Found in the op shop today. Very happy with the fit. It's cotton, so might not see much airtime until spring.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. wkd80

wkd80 Active Member

anyone know any places that stock Randolph Engineering sunglasses in melbourne?

9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

I would agree that wealth inequality is a driver of dis-satisfaction, but I think it's disingenuous to attribute that to modern institutions. Britain has always been an incredibly unequal society - it was feudal and the industrial revolution and the 20th century haven't really changed inequality that much - life is better for everyone, sure, but the landed gentry are still the landed gentry. There are areas I pass every day that some old bloke owns and will always own as long as he passes it down through the family.

I think that neoliberal economics has not really worked, but I think that dissatisfaction should be placed at the domestic government for curtailing public services and funding public programs. The austerity measures have real effects in schools, in workplaces that train young people and in community support programs. Certainly a shrinking economy/foggy outlook caused by Brexit could lead to further cuts. Which I think is also an indicator that the government, here, has not abdicated sovereign fiscal discretion.

Additionally, the governments have not tried, or have failed abysmally, to curtail cost of living. This is perhaps not such a big issue as it's out of control in the South, which is also more prosperous, and the North East is really the area that needs the most re-vitalisation (having relied on manufacturing and mining which have declined substantially). I certainly don't have an answer here - perhaps a good place to trial UBI or something similar.

The EU seemed to me to be a relatively protectionist organisation: keep things within Europe by making non-European imports more expensive, subsidise key industries such as farming in order to support those industries. Perhaps I'm wrong here, though. This is my most tenuous point, though, so I'm very open to this being wrong.

So, I do not think that the poor are directing their anger towards the right groups. There have been consistent failures of government to do anything to ensure a sustainable and meaningful standard of living in the North East - Orwell wrote about it in the 30s, obviously the 80s was a rough time, and we can see now people are angry. Disenfrancised lower class white people are a serious cultural issue in all parts of the Western world. People who relied on good, stable jobs without much education or pre-honed skills have been surpassed by faster, cheaper and more malleable labour elsewhere.

This is a huge issue at home, in the UK, in the USA. Unfortunately these groups often turn to immigration or globalisation as the source of their problems, rather than corporate greed (CEOs making multi-million dollar salaries while laying off workers), privatisation (which means tax payers cannot prop up industries with the intention of ensuring impoverished areas have income and stability) and short sighted governments failing to re-skill areas that will obviously need it. These groups are also incredibly susceptible to nostalgia because, let's face it, life was better for them way back then. It just also means the past becomes a narrative that anyone clever enough can seize and twist - which is where the nationalism, xenophobia, etc come into play, IMO.

This also ignores the fact that as problems become more global only global solutions are adequate.

1 person likes this.
  10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Apparently there are good arguments for leave that are not related to either points. Which I think is entirely possible. They just weren't the points most leave voters cared about.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

12. California Dreamer

2 people like this.
  13. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Well-Known Member

I would have voted in but am a tad sympathetic politically. Remember one thing : the UK never wanted a regulated federation EU superstate which a while back was a French-German fantasy about putting those countries at the heart of Europe. 40 years ago they wanted to join a economic community which was an extension of an original customs union. That was all. The likes of Greece etc show the debacle of this European dream

1 person likes this.
  14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever had a jacket with no middleseam tailored up at the back?

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1

Like a lot of things, a united Europe was good in theory, and possibly in initial practice, but perhaps what it's become today isn't what was once promised.

1 person likes this.
  16. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Could you please share the source for the bag, md?

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Sir Humphrey explains the Foreign Office positon on the EU [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a stockist in Aus at all. There was a distributor in Aus who would sell them to you but I can't find them on the web anymore.

They are great glasses.

19. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

This was from David jones city store. It was on 50% off clearance.

20. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

There was a thread where details of a bespoke/mtm jacket was discussed. With pictures and why/ why one shouldn't. It was very informative.