Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Years ago there was a tailor at the top of Bourke st that was recommended and I used. I forget the name. Is it still around?

Last edited: May 15, 2016

2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Berta on Alberta Street is really good, too.

Co-sign on Farmhouse. Tristan, who was one of the chefs when Farmhouse first opened, now helms the kitchen at Dead Ringer (paging @sliq ) and their menu is delicious too.

3. crdb

crdb Senior member

Thanks for the Berta heads up. I'm often in the area for business but the nearest place I've saved there is NOMAD, and all experiments around George/Pitt St./Museum were inconclusive. I really needed somewhere more convenient...

Dead Ringer sounds interesting, although again not the most convenient location for those of us not car-blessed (Uber rates in Sydney are creeping up to taxi levels!), also saved it in case of Surry Hills occasions. Their URL is classic.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I bought a Seiko SARB065 from Massdrop. Love the watch, but not a big fan of the default strap. Any ideas where I could pick up one like this instead?

Having the Seiko clasp function would be a bonus, but that's probably asking too much. Unless one can buy genuine Seiko straps of this kind.

[​IMG]

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

What's the clasp like?

Most clasps/buckles can be swapped over pretty easily when you swap over the strap, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you buy a strap with the same dimensions.

Hirsch make decent and affordable straps. Quite a few jewellers/watch stores will stock some, or you can order them from overseas sites such as Watch Obsession:

http://www.hirschstraps.com/

Quite a few other decent strap companies out there, too, so measure up your existing strap and then have a look around on the internet. You can either buy a strap changing tool yourself or take it in to a jeweller and get them to change the strap over.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Click frenzy starts at 7 pm tomorrow. HB and MJB are expected to have some good sales.

8. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

When do MJB not have a sale on?

They're like a slightly more upmarket Oxford in that regard.

9. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Yeah herringbone and RB sale 50% off and magically new just in stock is out of stock unless your size 54. Useless.

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

A list of things that will wreck your #menswear shoes faster than the iGent-Advertised 15-20 year 'wear with care' estimates:

1. Riding your bike in them
    2. Going for walks around farms
    3. Not dedicating 1 hour or so to methodically looking after your precious babies every 2-3 weeks

Just looking at my RMW at work this morning - damn they need a clean. Ah whoops.

That being said, Herring brogues are, as far as I can tell, indestructible with a Danite sole.

Last edited: May 17, 2016

11. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

#wearwithoutcare brah

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Losing 17kg is a big effort - well done. My bet is you've probably gone down two sizes, which is getting into the danger zone in respect to what an alterations tailor can do for you. Korderas is a good option, and maybe Carbone, but the first thing I would do is ask them their frank opinion of whether the extent of the alterations is too much, and be guided by what they say.

13. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Senior member

@California Dreamerl forgot to say thanks for the recommendation of sneakerboy, had a look but sadly the velcros I'm after weren't in my size but didn't know there was such a concentrated amount of great sneakers in melb. Damn reebok actually has some super nice shit for those who like the 'classic sneaker look'.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Tend to agree with this - it would most likely require a lot of adjustment to jacket and trousers if you've lost 17kg (depending on how heavy you were originally, I suppose) and it might not be possible to get a good result.

As CD says, get an opinion from a good tailor, but be prepared to be told that you might have to start afresh.

15. crdb

crdb Senior member

As a (lukewarm) counterpoint, I got several pairs of trousers adjusted - not just the belt, but the whole leg all the way to the ankle - by "Mr Q" of www.theprefecture.com about 2 sizes down after a similar weight loss (14kg). Results looked fine, but it was important to slim the shape. All the proportions change, still, you might just salvage some of the stuff.

I did give up the jackets.