• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At 39, am I too old to be wearing black Nike Killshot 2 sneakers?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This side of the forum is mostly populated by people from the CM side of the forum (CM = Classic Menswear). Lots of people on that side of the forum have a somewhat "respectability politics" view of clothes. So grown men shouldn't wear sneakers, as sneakers are for children and people working out. Grown men should wear wingtips and sport coats and such.

It's not a view I subscribe to. Agree that sneakers can be worn by anyone.

I think if you visit Reddit's Male Fashion Advice, you may find more useful information on how to dress. Killshots are often recommended there for what they call a "basic bastard" uniform (they use that term affectionately).
100 percent agree. Just look at Akamine Yukio, the god of grownups in sneakers. He wears classic vulcanized canvas types (made by PRAS in Japan) not modern running-type trainers. But I think you can wear any type of sneaker at any age, in the right situation.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 08.26.41.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow this thread has succumbed to a Mott & Bailey fallacy.

The OP specifically indicated wearing Nike sneakers casually while also asking if this was appropriate at 39. The question suggests a relationship between footwear and the age one should stop wearing certain types of footwear.

The sneakers above are a far cry from Nike sneakers; hence the Mott and Bailey. At 39, there are far better options.

And no, you also shouldn’t just wear a t-shirt.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my personal feeling is nike, NB, etc type shoes look best with athletic wear after you're 30. If you like a sneaker style shoe, there are lots of companies that make a leisure style shoe as opposed to an athletic style shoe. There are plenty of variations on this style of shoe - different colors or even materials (so I'm not necessarily recommending this particular model, brand or color). This assumes you don't like the idea of leather boots, or more traditional leather shoes (plain toe bluchers, loafers, etc. etc.)..

I wear athletic shoes when when I'm doing long walks, runs, sports etc. Then function is more important than form.
sperry.jpg

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Be aware that if you buy those Sperrys and walk around in them frequently, you can expect them to start falling apart within a couple months at the most. I bought two pairs of them not long ago as super casual beater sneakers, and it took a few weeks for the soles to start separating so that grass pokes through to my feet around the edges when I walk on the lawn, etc.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever wear Mephisto? Selling point is more comfort and support for walking all day. I have a dark brown pair and am now shopping for a decent-looking white pair. Better for us over-50s with feet that were "rode hard and put away wet" as the saying goes. They have a dizzying array of choices.

1623868895949.png

rjc149

Reaction score
Anyone here ever wear Mephisto? Selling point is more comfort and support for walking all day. I have a dark brown pair and am now shopping for a decent-looking white pair. Better for us over-50s with feet that were "rode hard and put away wet" as the saying goes. They have a dizzying array of choices.

View attachment 1625560
I thought they looked great, until I looked them up and saw the prices.

My search for a casual leisure sneaker for my flipper feet continues.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they looked great, until I looked them up and saw the prices.

My search for a casual leisure sneaker for my flipper feet continues.
Pricey but they really carry the day when walking all day.

rjc149

Reaction score
What are you looking for in a sneaker?
I like the Sperry/Vans/Converse look, or something leather that's easy to clean, and something casual that can be worn with no-show socks and shorts. I've been wanting to upgrade from my suede New Balance mainly because they look like gym shoes.

Thing is, as I said, I have wide flipper feet. So that rubber shell around the toe box creates a hard wall against my toes, which creates blisters, and most of the "casual sneaker" models are too narrow.

I tried on some Sperry Stripers (pictured above), they come in a 9W but they were too narrow. I exchanged them for a 9.5W, I'm waiting for them to arrive but they may be too long.

I need something wide, at the end of the day.

liorahearon

Reaction score
Hey, jwolfe890! It is never too old to wear a good footwear pair. In my opinion, Don't let the stereotypes push you to wear clothes or shoes that you don't like. Be yourself and wear what you want, don't look at these stupid conservatives who are telling everyone what to wear or how to think according to numbers in your passport, I think this is nonsense, and you should wear that is comfortable for yourself and don't give an F about others. I'm 35, and I'm still buying a modern Nike model from online shopping sites, and I don't care.

rjc149

Reaction score
I've softened my stance on sneakers within the past year.

Sneakers are casual. As long as you're in an appropriately casual environment where sneakers are worn, wear whatever sneaker you like.

I tried making the "fashion" sneaker work for me (some sort of Stan Smith or Converse clone) for casual summer outfits. They're all too narrow and constricting for my toes. So I just said *******, I'm wearing my New Balances with shorts. Shorts and jeans are two pant types that cannot be dressed up in my opinion. They are what they are. Strictly casual. So wear whatever sneaker you want with them. At the end of the day, a sneaker is a sneaker.

I think a 39 year old wearing Nike Killshots, New Balance, Adidas, etc. around town running errands is fine. At 39, however, a man should be more discerning about where he wears sneakers. But where sneakers are okay, any sneaker is okay.

pwbower

Reaction score
Of course, millions of middle aged people all over the world wear ****** (and not ******) sneakers 24-7, absolutely everywhere. From mailmen to CEOs. So maybe the question might be expressed more like "Will wearing sneakers at 39 make me look/feel like X"? How do you want to come off to folks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads