Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

irbe, Of your choices, I like the first and fourth one, though the one on your face is awesome.

2. dragonxking

Not positive, but I believe that's the logo of a brand called Yanagi Gawa Ichiro.

You could try contacting the blog's owner? http://timothymar.wordpress.com/about/

thanks. i asked him and he had no idea, but after some research, i've found that they are indeed Yanagi Gawa Ichiro.

3. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Have to finish up some of my health spending money for the year and looking at some new specs, have it narrowed down to the below four:

Salt Optics Clayton:

Mykita Nigel:

Mykita Barney:

Oliver Peoples Ellsworth:

I don't know what shape face I have:

Which one do you think I should get? Thanks

Personally, I like the Mykita Barney or the Salt Claytons. The Nigel will probably sit too low because of the bridge placement on the frame in relation to your facial features. The O.P. Ellsworth looks too classic. I am judging by your selection that you want something a bit more "modern". Try them all on though.

4. CityConnection

Hey City,

Can you recommend some SALT acetate fram sunglasses that fit a lower bridge?

Thanks.

Most of Salt plastics sit relatively high on the low nose bridges. Usually with Salt + low bridges it is a matter of how wide your head is and how high your cheek bones are. Generally, the larger ones like the Oslo will touch cheeks, and smaller sizes will not sit on the nose because most (if not all) SALT frames do not have spring hinges.

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

irbe,
    Of your choices, I like the first and fourth one, though the one on your face is awesome.

Thanks. Got them in the brown. GF hates them with a passion since they remind her of her dad's glasses lol

6. irbe

irbe Senior member

Personally, I like the Mykita Barney or the Salt Claytons. The Nigel will probably sit too low because of the bridge placement on the frame in relation to your facial features. The O.P. Ellsworth looks too classic. I am judging by your selection that you want something a bit more "modern". Try them all on though.

Well to be honest I'm just looking for frames metel frames that have a nose pads. Two of my glasses on rotation right now do not have nose pads. The thing I like about the Nigels are they are a thinner frame and won't be as BOLD/HARSH. Then again I'm going for grey glasses so maybe it will work. Thanks

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I'm trying to choose between lenses. One optical salesperson advocates 1.74 high index lenses, another advocates a customized Zeiss lense in 1.67 high index.

Anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of each lense compared to each other?

My prescription is -10.5 diopters. Don't know pupilary distance. I'm looking for greatest clarity and aesthetics. Clearly I can't get both, but clarity would come first I suppose.

8. CityConnection

I'm trying to choose between lenses. One optical salesperson advocates 1.74 high index lenses, another advocates a customized Zeiss lense in 1.67 high index.

Anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of each lense compared to each other?

My prescription is -10.5 diopters. Don't know pupilary distance. I'm looking for greatest clarity and aesthetics. Clearly I can't get both, but clarity would come first I suppose.

In terms of clarity, in theory, a 1.67 will give you better vision. In practice, they will look the same to you and you won't be able to tell which one is which.

In terms of thickness, chances are a surfaced (custom) 1.67 will probably be about the same as a 1.74. The difference will be minimal IF ANY.

With your RX, you could go either way and you will probably be satisfied. At this point, it is a price game.

9. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Cityconnection,

Going on what you've mentioned above. How would you rate 1.67 Hi Index lenses in terms of price/quality. Is there a huge difference in vision and AR between brands such as Seiko, Pentax, Hoya, Essilor, Optima, Crizal, etc?

10. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Thanks! Ordered some Zeiss custom ones. We'll see how my new specs turn out in a couple of weeks.

11. CityConnection

Cityconnection,

Going on what you've mentioned above. How would you rate 1.67 Hi Index lenses in terms of price/quality. Is there a huge difference in vision and AR between brands such as Seiko, Pentax, Hoya, Essilor, Optima, Crizal, etc?

Is there a difference yes. Think of it like this...cars: A Benz, BMW, Lexus will all do the same job, point A to point B. They will all give you luxurious comforts. They will all have power windows and so on. The differences will be small things like how the console is setup, or how fast it is, or how the doors unlock...

In short, they will have their own differences, but at the end of the day they will all be good choices with slight differences. Chances are the price points will be around the same neighborhood too.

12. KA1555

KA1555 Senior member

Can anyone identify these?
    they look crazy awesome

I can't identify those exact frames, but I know that SEE eyewear makes similar frames (I'm not sure what the opinion of that particular brand is here):

http://www.seeeyewear.com/

Model #s:

SEE 2170 (in the image on the website, the color furthest on the top is similarly styled)
    SEE 1203 (in the image on the website, the color furthest on the left is similarly styled)

13. dragonxking

I can't identify those exact frames, but I know that SEE eyewear makes similar frames (I'm not sure what the opinion of that particular brand is here):

http://www.seeeyewear.com/

Model #s:

SEE 2170 (in the image on the website, the color furthest on the top is similarly styled)
    SEE 1203 (in the image on the website, the color furthest on the left is similarly styled)

thanks! the 2170s look awesome!

14. bargecharge

bargecharge Well-Known Member

CityConnection (or anyone else) -

Do you know the make of these glasses? (Todd Phillips in this month's GQ). Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

thanks. i asked him and he had no idea, but after some research, i've found that they are indeed Yanagi Gawa Ichiro.

Did you manage to find those frames for sale online?