• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

bokhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
There are a lot of color combos like that. Almost every manufacture makes that color combo now. What aspect of that frame do you like? The shape? Rviets? color? nose bridge? Thickness? material?

i like the color combo, material and general shape.

my face works best with square-ish frames.

Vento95

Reaction score
I apologize if you've already addressed this earlier, but I really like some Theo frames at a local shop. How is the quality for the $350 price tag?

flyindarkness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somecallmebj
I just wanted to chime in on this thread and thank CityConnection for all the advice he's given on an excellent thread.

I just got back from picking up my new frames from the boutique:
REIZ Falke
in Blond/Black

3.jpg
2.jpg

1.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

I really dig this too. how much did you pay for them?

somecallmebj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyindarkness
I really dig this too. how much did you pay for them?

About $240, which is well below what they retail for ($450+)

flyindarkness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somecallmebj
About $240, which is well below what they retail for ($450+)

nice~ Gotta go to LA to actually check some out. but I don't think i got the bank to pay for retail.

If you got discount sources, would you mind sharing?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I am thinking about some new frames but just kind of wondering where you see trends going? I have some OP tortoise acetate frames already, and some older Tag Heuer metal frames that are just a nice minimal black, so just looking around to figure out what to do...

daruma

Reaction score
What is the deal with nose bridges? I notice that I look better with thick ones. What does this mean? Is it because I have a narrow nose?

fifediesel

Reaction score
Looking for a decent pair of sunglasses that go with workwear style clothes (Iron Heart, Flat Head, WWM, etc.) Any brand or style recommendations?

Cavalier

Reaction score
I just went to a boutique eye doctor and got my weak prescription -1, -.5 -- have it all plus pupil distance

He wanted to charge twice the going rate for frames on google, i.e. lucky frames were $210 but selling online for $125.

Where is the best place to order frames and lenses online? I want a plastic rectangular pair ..

Are plastic lenses for $50 garbage? Do need expensive ones?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I just went to a boutique eye doctor and got my weak prescription -1, -.5 -- have it all plus pupil distance

He wanted to charge twice the going rate for frames on google, i.e. lucky frames were $210 but selling online for $125.

Where is the best place to order frames and lenses online? I want a plastic rectangular pair ..

Are plastic lenses for $50 garbage? Do need expensive ones?

I have never ordered anything online so I don't know anything about online stores. But I can explain why your doctor is more expensive. OVERHEAD! He has rent, employees, licensing fees, bills and so on. Your friendly online retailer only has to pay for his merchandise and works out of his parent's basement.

So why would you pay $210 as opposed to online for $125? He has the experience to troubleshoot if there is a problem, he carries liability insurance if you have a problem, he offers you a warranty, he will adjust your frames so that you don't have those terrible looking red spots on your nose and pain behind your ears and the list goes one. In a nutshell, this is still a skilled industry (believe it or not). But you will save a few bucks buying online.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convert anyone to hit the local shops because I make online sales of frames that I think people on SF might like (like my vintage eyewear). BUT at least you should know the differences between what you are buying online and what you are buying in the shop.

Are $50 lenses garbage? Yes, no, maybe so. Depends on what they are: cr39, 1.56, 1.67, 1.74, trivex, poly.... It's like saying is a $10,000 car garbage? To some, but to others it is the perfect car for the use. Same thing with the lenses. Just make sure you compare oranges with oranges. Your Doc might charge $50, but someone down the road might charge $200 for the same lenses. Would you feel better paying $200 for the same lenses? Probably not. I think you get the basics on my arguments...

Let us know if you have any more questions...I'm sure tons of people have the same ones.

Best of luck finding your glasses!

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Fabien Baron sunglasses? Top Tier or junk with a high price tag?

Same question for LGR.

http://www.lgr-sunglasses.com/

They have some interesting styles with flexible arms and truly scratch-proof lenses, as demonstrated here:

Anj

Reaction score
I bought a pair of thick-framed prescription glasses which I now realize are a bit too large for everyday wear. But I think they'd be great as sunglasses.

Is there a way to tint my existing lenses, or would I have to get entirely new prescription sunglasses made?

ilprescelto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Does anyone have any experience with Fabien Baron sunglasses? Top Tier or junk with a high price tag?

Same question for LGR.

http://www.lgr-sunglasses.com/

They have some interesting styles with flexible arms and truly scratch-proof lenses, as demonstrated here:

im interested as well

supperman

Reaction score
Hi, I wondering about Tom Ford prescription glasses. They seem pretty expensive, so I'm just wondering if you think they are worth it. I haven't found a place close by that has them in stock, just the sunglasses, so I can't really see them for myself. Thanks.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anj
I bought a pair of thick-framed prescription glasses which I now realize are a bit too large for everyday wear. But I think they'd be great as sunglasses.

Is there a way to tint my existing lenses, or would I have to get entirely new prescription sunglasses made?

Yes and No. Depends if you have anti reflection coating on it or not. If you have anti reflection coating, the lenses need to be replaced. If you do NOT have anti reflection coating it is no problem and should be able to be tinted. Although, if you have any small pits or scratches, it will show and be more evident.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads