Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. jaac

jaac Senior member

Thinking about getting some Oliver Peoples x NDG - 1, the tortise shell ones. Does anyone own these? I know they were quite popular a while ago. Would like some fit pics if you still have some.

2. somecallmebj

somecallmebj Senior member

I just wanted to chime in on this thread and thank CityConnection for all the advice he's given on an excellent thread.

I just got back from picking up my new frames from the boutique:
    REIZ Falke
    in Blond/Black

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

CityConnection (or anyone else) -

Do you know the make of these glasses? (Todd Phillips in this month's GQ). Thanks!

[​IMG]

No be honest, I have no idea... Anyone else?

4. CityConnection

I just wanted to chime in on this thread and thank CityConnection for all the advice he's given on an excellent thread. I just got back from picking up my new frames from the boutique:
    REIZ Falke in Blond/Black [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

That is an AWSOME looking 2 tone front and the huge barrels on the temples. It's got the almost vintage but still trendy look to it. Good stuff! Hope you enjoy them.

5. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Just picked up some of the Ray Ban Ultra Caravan off of Gilt. Can you tell me what the quality is like on these? They have a polarized P3 lens, which is the best Ray Ban makes.

6. CityConnection

Just picked up some of the Ray Ban Ultra Caravan off of Gilt. Can you tell me what the quality is like on these? They have a polarized P3 lens, which is the best Ray Ban makes.

They are Raybans. Their quality is not as good as back in the days, BUT they are still made well. You can tell how well made a frame is when you take it apart to put lenses into the frame. I have taken many of these aviator types apart and I can say they are good quality. Not the best that I have seen, but for the price they are decent. Chances are you paid a lot less than retail which is another added bonus. How much did you pay if you don't mind announcing...

7. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Paid less than $200 when the retail was $475. The Ultras have some nice features that the normal ones do not, such as a spring hinges, a gold plated titanium frame, and the p3 lenses. Those lenses are supposed to be polarized water repellant lenses and lighter and thinner than normal ray ban frames.

8. CityConnection

Paid less than $200 when the retail was $475. The Ultras have some nice features that the normal ones do not, such as a spring hinges, a gold plated titanium frame, and the p3 lenses. Those lenses are supposed to be polarized water repellant lenses and lighter and thinner than normal ray ban frames.

Sounds like you got it at a steal. Spring hinges are a big issue with those Rayban aviators. They are thin and light, but matched with the glass lenses, it isnt always comfortable. Water repellent lenses are always a good feature in light rain or on the boat. Enjoy!

9. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

The good news is I wanted them last year, and they somehow managed to get buried in Gilt's sale in Women's ski accessories.

Really good deal, because I think retail was $475 to $485.

I think the caravans are different enough, but classic. At least not the teardrop aviators that everyone is wearing.

10. bokhan

bokhan Senior member

do you know where i can get a pair that fades like these?

[​IMG]

11. CityConnection

do you know where i can get a pair that fades like these?

[​IMG]

I think that is the same frame that someone was asking about. It was a japanese brand. Maybe someone can chime in.

12. bokhan

bokhan Senior member

doesn't have to be specifically that pair or brand.

just want something in that style.

13. daruma

daruma Senior member

Is the brand Gold and Wood recommended?

14. CityConnection

doesn't have to be specifically that pair or brand. just want something in that style.
    There are a lot of color combos like that. Almost every manufacture makes that color combo now. What aspect of that frame do you like? The shape? Rviets? color? nose bridge? Thickness? material?

15. CityConnection

Is the brand Gold and Wood recommended?

Gold & Wood is a higher end company that utilizes unique materials to eyewear. Obviously know for their gold and wood but also such materials as horn. They have a hefty price tag but their materials are difficult to work with so that reflects in their price.