• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

gentndubs

Reaction score
Thanks for your response once again! What I think I am going to do is get the jacket shortened. I always have been told that getting sleeves narrowed is a risky proposition! But, if it can be done easily I'll have done that too. Is it expensive?

Thanks for your kind words and don't worry I completly get your logic
wink.gif
I do have one more question and that is I'm very slim (as you can see) do you reccomend anywhere where I can buy well fitting shirts? A lot of people have reccomended TML super fully fitted. Would love to hear your suggestions!

I used to buy jackets like the one I have show you! I must have looked terrible back in the day!!! Time to change all that now!

No problem. As for narrowing the sleeves, you may be thinking of narrowing the armhole itself. That is definitely harder for a tailor to pull off correctly. What I'm talking about is a tapering of sleeve to basically fit closer and more snugly to your arm so it doesn't look like your arm is getting lost in the jacket. This is much more basic. As for cost, I guess it depends on the tailor. My tailor charges around $20 I believe.

I have no experience at all with T.M. Lewin shirts, so I can't comment on their slim cuts. At a lower price point, I can recommend, as far as fit goes, Zara's "super slim fit" shirts. I don't personally own any, but my friends who are "very slim" do and they look good. The shirts are quite cheap so even if the quality isn't up to snuff at least the fit is. Good luck!

gentndubs

Reaction score

Agreed it looks fine. Both your pattern and tie are loud, and there's nothing wrong with that when done right. But if you're ever worried about being too loud, just switch the shirt out with something more subdued and keep the tie or vice versa.

gentndubs

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm just wondering if i can wear a navy striped suit with a white/blue striped shirt? I kinda liked the combo when i tried it, what you think?

Thanks for the help
smile.gif
Yes, you can. They rule of thumb re mixing stripes is to have varying widths and/or directions. You have that here in that your shirt stripes are thicker than your suit stripes. You're good to go

etostano

Reaction score

Can anyone suggest a firm in NYC where I can buy bespoke trousers for around $500 (including fabric)?  I understand that Ercole back in the day used to charge around this, but they have raised their prices.  I spent $800+ a pair the last time I went to Ercole (around August of last year), which is more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

Frank also does MTM which should come in under your budget

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank also does MTM which should come in under your budget

Thanks for the reply, but I'd much prefer full bespoke if that's possible. Not sure if MTM will give me the ideal fit. My lower body is pretty weird (left hip sits about 3/8 of an inch lower than the right hip, slim waist, but chunky thighs, etc).

Last edited:

teixeira

Reaction score
Yes, you can. They rule of thumb re mixing stripes is to have varying widths and/or directions. You have that here in that your shirt stripes are thicker than your suit stripes. You're good to go
Thanks :) And what about the length of the jacket? I guess mine is a little bit long.
Would it be better if it ended on this red line?

Last edited:

gentndubs

Reaction score
Thanks :) And what about the length of the jacket? I guess mine is a little bit long.
Would it be better if it ended on this red line?
Way too difficult to tell in that picture. When standing straight, hands naturally at your side, where does the jacket fall in relation to your fingers?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks :) And what about the length of the jacket? I guess mine is a little bit long. Would it be better if it ended on this red line?
Generally the bottom edge is lower than the buttocks. For some a little longer to give an overall look. If you are following the latest trend wherever the trend sets it. Trends can be expensive because they are sort lived. Tailors of the past liked them because it brought the customer back sooner. Some trends are wise to follow and some are not.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone suggest a firm in NYC where I can buy bespoke trousers for around $500 (including fabric)?  I understand that Ercole back in the day used to charge around this, but they have raised their prices.  I spent $800+ a pair the last time I went to Ercole (around August of last year), which is more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

Mr. Ned is in your price range. I think I paid $350.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
I apologize for the wrinkles on the coat and the pants/sneakers. Was just trying to snap some quick pics.
Should I have the sides taken in?
I intend to wear a suit underneath it. The jacket I was wearing in the pictures was a tweed jacket which may be a little thicker than the suits I have.
The back looks fine for me, but the front looks sloppy. Is it possible to have the sides taken in without ruining the back silhouette?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I ordered these Donald J Pliner shoes with chunky lug sole. When i got them I noticed some of the stitching is exposed between the lugs. is this normal for a lug sole shoe? Here's a pic:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

varatep

Reaction score
I'm going into a corporate office in 2 weeks. Computer Industry/Software Engineer. Business casual. Tie and coat optional, but I want to.
Edit: also want a slim-skinny fit.
I bought a silk knit dotted tie and wool tie from the Tie Bar both 2 inches. I have a skinny tie bar ~1 inch.
I have johnston and murphy wingtips. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075H8QFW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Budget ~$300-400 for 2-piece.
First suit.
Can't decide between charcoal gray and dark navy.
Can't decide between J Crew or Men's Wearhouse.

Any suggestions if I should get from somewhere else?

In the Los Angeles, CA area.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads