• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on Eastland boots?

wien116

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm following procedure with this post... I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.

First, some details: I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.

I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)

(Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)

Option 1
Store: Men's Warehouse
Brand: Joseph Abboud
Material: 100% wool
Price: $480

Buttoned:

Unbuttoned:

Close up:

Option 2
Store: Macy's
Brand: Bar III
Price: $300

Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)

Unbuttoned (again, wrong color)

Close up (this is the right color, just the wrong size):

My thoughts:

1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy.

2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment).

3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine.

4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no?

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

IGF-1

Reaction score

Will neutral untanned leather like this hold a true color if I were to apply a darker polish all over, e.g. navy?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will neutral untanned leather like this hold a true color if I were to apply a darker polish all over, e.g. navy?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. That leather certainly has been tanned! Are you asking if you can darken the boots just by putting a darker polish on it? Or do you want to strip them and try to completely re-color them?

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=181818][COLOR=222222]
Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm following procedure with this post... I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]First, some details: I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=181818][COLOR=222222]I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222](Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [COLOR=000000]Option 1[/COLOR] Store: Men's Warehouse Brand: Joseph Abboud Material: 100% wool Price: $480 Buttoned:
Unbuttoned:
Close up:
[COLOR=000000]Option 2[/COLOR] Store: Macy's Brand: Bar III Material: 100% wool Price: $300 Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)
My thoughts: 1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy. 2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment). 3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine. 4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no? Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!
[/COLOR]
You may get more bang for your buck from SuitSupply. Here's one example from the top of your price range: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...=Suits&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer But I think the quality will be much better than either you listed.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm following procedure with this post... I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.

First, some details: I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.

I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)

(Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)

Option 1
Store: Men's Warehouse
Brand: Joseph Abboud
Price: $480

Buttoned:

Unbuttoned:

Close up:

Option 2
Store: Macy's
Brand: Bar III
Price: $300

Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)

My thoughts:

1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy.

2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment).

3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine.

4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no?

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

I don't know if it's just on my end, but the photos are no longer appearing. Can everyone else still see them?

wien116

Reaction score
They appear for me.

Anyways, I think I've decided I prefer the $480 Joseph Abboud to the $300 Bar III above.

Now my only question is if I should consider ordering one of these Napoli suits from Suitsupply

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...pring/Summer&sz=68&srule=PriceAsc&prefv1=Wool

or

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...pring/Summer&sz=68&srule=PriceAsc&prefv1=Wool

I'm a pretty slim fit, so I'm not sure if those Suitsupply ones are thin enough. Plus, they don't come in 39, which I think is the best fit on me.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They appear for me.

Anyways, I think I've decided I prefer the $480 Joseph Abboud to the $300 Bar III above.

Now my only question is if I should consider ordering one of these Napoli suits from Suitsupply

or

I'm a pretty slim fit, so I'm not sure if those Suitsupply ones are thin enough. Plus, they don't come in 39, which I think is the best fit on me.

Of those, leaving fit aside for a moment, I find the navy more versatile, so better in your situation. Obviously I don't know how it compares to the pictures I'm not able to load, so take that for what it's worth. As to not coming in a 39, a tailor can make a 40, or a 38, into a 39, almost every time, so you get the one that fits your shoulders. In that case you might be an L in the 38, and an R in the 40, but that'll vary from jacket to jacket.

I also would think about getting a three piece, because then you can, punch it up if you want to for, say, a more formal wedding. And, in a situation where you need to wear it twice, like say for a first, then a second, job interview in a process, you could add the vest the second time, and it's sort of like having two suits. Not entirely, but sort of. It won't always work that way, but gives you the option. Of course, that also depends on if a vest is available with the suit that works best on your body, and if you can afford the extra cost of the vest. I only mention it since you said you'll probably have only this suit for the next eight to 10 years.

Art0Vandelay

Reaction score
Hello all,

First time posting here.
I recently got a pair of Allen Edmonds McCallister shoes in the merlot color. I will be starting my career this summer, in which I will primarily be in business causal attire (dress pants and shirt), with the occasional suit and tie being a possibility. It is a conservative industry by nature, but my attire can be business casual unless the client wears suits. It's come to my attention that I should probably have two shoes that I rotate between, and considering Cole Haans and Johnston & Murphys are still fairly expensive, I was considering just investing in a second pair of AEs.

Now the question that comes to mind is the style and the color choice. I wanted to have a pair of shoes that can be as versatile as possible because I just can't really buy more than 2 pairs of $300 shoes. I bought the McCallisters in this color because I felt the wingtips make them able to be dressed down with jeans or chinos when I want, and the merlot color because it can go with the colors that brown goes with, in addition to black, making it more versitile.... I also just think it looks fantastic.

For my second pair, the first question I guess would be color. Should I go ahead and get a black? I know people say men should have a black shoe for necessary occasions (funerals, weddings, etc), but as preposterous as this sounds, if that's the only conceivable reason to have a black shoe, I can always just go get a cheap shoe for that one occasion. I feel like I've been taught that there are almost no occasions where brown or merlot wouldn't be a better choice than black. Having the merlot color already, in order to cover as many bases and styles as possible, I'm wondering if a dark brown or a bourbon color would be better, or maybe even something lighter like walnut. And for style, I'm thinking a captoe, maybe the Fifth Avenue or the Lexington. The Strand is also nice but idk if having another shoe with all that brogue fits my desire to have as much diversity as possible in two shoes. I also would love it if I could find a shoe that wouldn't be out of place outside of work with jeans or chinos.

Thanks in advance!

All Tatters

Reaction score
What kind of colour pants do you imagine wearing in business casual? (And what have you already got?)

If grey will be a staple colour for pants and socks I would still go for black shoes if I were you. Perfectly possible to combine even with grey chinos and always the most formal choice to wear on suit days.

Otherwise you can be perfectly content with a dark shade of brown. However, you will still feel the need for black shoes soon enough, but you could schedule the investment in a good (non-cheap) pair to happen after a couple of paychecks.

Art0Vandelay

Reaction score
What kind of colour pants do you imagine wearing in business casual? (And what have you already got?)

If grey will be a staple colour for pants and socks I would still go for black shoes if I were you. Perfectly possible to combine even with grey chinos and always the most formal choice to wear on suit days.

Otherwise you can be perfectly content with a dark shade of brown. However, you will still feel the need for black shoes soon enough, but you could schedule the investment in a good (non-cheap) pair to happen after a couple of paychecks.

Not exactly sure on the pant color. I'd like to have variety from light grey to charcoal to navy, etc. So I guess a black could work fine with all of them just like the merlot could. Would it be sort of paradoxal to get the Allen Edmond Strand shoes in black due to the brogue? (http://content.allenedmonds.com/wcs...atabase/allenedmonds_shoes_strand_black_l.jpg) Or is that a good idea to sort of make them less formal?

And if I did go with brown, dark brown rather than a bourbon or walnut color?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not exactly sure on the pant color. I'd like to have variety from light grey to charcoal to navy, etc. So I guess a black could work fine with all of them just like the merlot could. Would it be sort of paradoxal to get the Allen Edmond Strand shoes in black due to the brogue? (http://content.allenedmonds.com/wcs...atabase/allenedmonds_shoes_strand_black_l.jpg) Or is that a good idea to sort of make them less formal?

And if I did go with brown, dark brown rather than a bourbon or walnut color?

No, that's a wonderful choice for a black shoe in your context. It may not be the absolute most formal shoe in the world, but it's black with closed lacing, which still makes it fairly formal. Certainly for any occasion where business suits are being worn. You can't wear it with formal attire (any more- at one time such shoes would be appropriate with daytime formal, but as use of daytime formal has declined, the range of variation allowed has narrowed), but weddings and funerals? Sure, no problem. It'll also be much better suited to business casual looks than a plan captoe would, which I what I suspect you were aiming for.

Art0Vandelay

Reaction score
No, that's a wonderful choice for a black shoe in your context. It may not be the absolute most formal shoe in the world, but it's black with closed lacing, which still makes it fairly formal. Certainly for any occasion where business suits are being worn. You can't wear it with formal attire (any more- at one time such shoes would be appropriate with daytime formal, but as use of daytime formal has declined, the range of variation allowed has narrowed), but weddings and funerals? Sure, no problem. It'll also be much better suited to business casual looks than a plan captoe would, which I what I suspect you were aiming for.

Awesome! Thanks for your reply. The only reason I was leaning away from the Strand is the brogue is almost identical to the McCallister's, even though one is a wingtip and one is captoe.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can be perfectly content with a dark shade of brown. However, you will still feel the need for black shoes soon enough, but you could schedule the investment in a good (non-cheap) pair to happen after a couple of paychecks.

Exactly. Dark brown now. Black later when you can.

brew

Reaction score
I am unfortunately required to wear a tie without a jacket for my job; what combinations of fabric/color/pattern (for everything - tie, trousers, shirt) would help this get-up look least foolish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads