• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be catching an early morning flight out of Baltimore (brr, :freeze: chilly) in several days to attend a wedding in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (low 61ºF, high 86ºF). To cover the weather transition, I'd like to wear a pair of lightweight cords over brown beefroll full strap Polo Sport loafers on the flight and then the 2+ hour drive from NOLA to the hotel, similar to these and in this color (but not rolled up as in the pic).

I'm looking for suggestions for a sport coat and shirt to wear over it. I've got a heavy-ish sueded cotton navy sport coat as well as a variety of brass buttoned navy blazers in Loro Piana finer finish wools which seem at odds with the texture of the cords. My tweeds are mostly brown or gray and are too close IMO to the color of the cords and probably too heavy. My linens are mostly in earth tones as are the rest of my cotton sport coats.

Please note that having lost a LOT of weight a few years back has left my inner body thermometer out of whack and I'm cold when others are complaining about the heat.

Black gingham check shirt sound okay or too severe?

I dunno.

Last edited:

Shanil

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of Double Monks, preferably in shell cordovan and a burgundy/red hue. Any suggestions APART from the Salinger offered by Epaulet?

books and tweed

Reaction score
I'll be catching an early morning flight out of Baltimore (brr,
cold[1].gif
chilly) in several days to attend a wedding in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (low 61ºF, high 86ºF). To cover the weather transition, I'd like to wear a pair of lightweight cords over brown beefroll full strap Polo Sport loafers on the flight and then the 2+ hour drive from NOLA to the hotel, similar to these and in this color (but not rolled up as in the pic).

I'm looking for suggestions for a sport coat and shirt to wear over it. I've got a heavy-ish sueded cotton navy sport coat as well as a variety of brass buttoned navy blazers in Loro Piana finer finish wools which seem at odds with the texture of the cords. My tweeds are mostly brown or gray and are too close IMO to the color of the cords and probably too heavy. My linens are mostly in earth tones as are the rest of my cotton sport coats.

Please note that having lost a LOT of weight a few years back has left my inner body thermometer out of whack and I'm cold when others are complaining about the heat.

I dunno.
Are any of those linen jackets on the green end of the earth tone spectrum? A bottle green or a very dark brown would look really nice... Even the linen/corduroy texture oddity might sort of work, I think. Perhaps a sweater to bridge the two textures and add a little variety to the earth tones.

Black gingham sounds odd; I'd opt for a more classic oxford to avoid the black gingham/textured earth tone mix.... If all fails, just use the cotton navy sport coat with any simple shirt.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^agree that avoiding black gingham is best. Gingham is typically a summer pattern, and would be a little at odds with your corduroy pants.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be catching an early morning flight out of Baltimore (brr, :freeze: chilly) in several days to attend a wedding in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (low 61ºF, high 86ºF). To cover the weather transition, I'd like to wear a pair of lightweight cords over brown beefroll full strap Polo Sport loafers on the flight and then the 2+ hour drive from NOLA to the hotel, similar to these and in this color (but not rolled up as in the pic).

I dunno.

It may be cliche, but I pretty much always fly in a navy blazer. Mid-weight wool. And when you're wearing an open collar shirt under a blazer, pretty much anything goes. The gingham would be fine. It is associated with spring, but IMO gingham shirts work any time that's not winter. Hell, I wore green gingham a few days ago. A more traditional oxford would also be fine.

Gentleman589

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought glazed calf leather LV shoes as shown. Does anybody know how to condition this type of leather? Should I apply cream, polish?

As per LV website it is not recommended to apply cream on glazed leather. So, I really don't know how to condition my shoes.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Spaceman Spliff

Reaction score
i really like the way long wallets look, but is there any actual utility to them in this day and age? they look like a huge pain ********** (literally) to wear with jeans, and i'm pretty sure i could never use them with dress pants, which means i'd have to switch wallets depending on the pants i'm wearing.

ovlov

Reaction score
i really like the way long wallets look, but is there any actual utility to them in this day and age? they look like a huge pain ********** (literally) to wear with jeans, and i'm pretty sure i could never use them with dress pants, which means i'd have to switch wallets depending on the pants i'm wearing.

They're infinitely more accommodating for jackets though. If you wear a suit 5+ days a week they're invaluable. Some people have both styles and switch between the two on weekends.

Cubits

Reaction score
I'm all for the British style of wearing black with navy, but the patch pockets, brown buttons, and softer cut would rather go with brown shoes.

You could get away with black though.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are any of those linen jackets on the green end of the earth tone spectrum? A bottle green or a very dark brown would look really nice... Even the linen/corduroy texture oddity might sort of work, I think. Perhaps a sweater to bridge the two textures and add a little variety to the earth tones.

Black gingham sounds odd; I'd opt for a more classic oxford to avoid the black gingham/textured earth tone mix.... If all fails, just use the cotton navy sport coat with any simple shirt.

One of the linens is a darkish olive that I was considering using but was concerned about the colors being too close. Probably not really an issue. I like the sweater idea but when I land in NOLA, I expect to confront temps in the mid to upper 80's and humidity above 75% so that might prove uncomfortable.

^agree that avoiding black gingham is best. Gingham is typically a summer pattern, and would be a little at odds with your corduroy pants.

Noted on both above regarding leaving the gingham behind. A solid oxford with button collars should dress up the top half without overdressing the bottom!

It may be cliche, but I pretty much always fly in a navy blazer. Mid-weight wool. And when you're wearing an open collar shirt under a blazer, pretty much anything goes. The gingham would be fine. It is associated with spring, but IMO gingham shirts work any time that's not winter. Hell, I wore green gingham a few days ago. A more traditional oxford would also be fine.

This is practical advice. I was a bit worried about the formality of the blazer's cloth atop the informality of the cords but unless someone gainsays you ITT, I expect this is what I will wear. Flying without a jacket for warmth on an overchilled aircraft and without multiple pockets to hold all the assorted crap that one needs on a flight has become unthinkable.

Thanks for the input, gents. Huge help!

Last edited:

Wade

Reaction score
Brand recommendations for cashmere sweaters?

I don't want to spend over 4 bills so I guess my budget is 400 or under, prefer to spend 250-300

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads