• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In and of itself, it's not a big deal. It's generally just a sign that the shirt is well made as it is harder to do.

If your tailor is doing alterations to a single needle stitched shirt and replaces the stitches with doubles, find a new tailor. They should be able to put it back together like they found it.

Displacement

Reaction score
Anyone have a lead on a mushroom suede watch strap? I'm looking for something similar in shade to these

Anything in the neighborhood of that color would be appreciated

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's called "channeled stitching".  A layer around the edge of the sole is peeled back, a little channel carved into the layer underneath, and the stitching is done inside the channel.  Then the layer that was peeled back - about half an inch all the way around, is glued back down over the stitching which lies flush inside the channel.

Eventually, the layer of leather over the channel usually starts coming away or wears away, and then you'll start to see where the stitching is!

I have read this is called hidden channel stitching, since some goodyear welted shoes still have channeled stitching, but have the stitching exposed. A lot of people still do call this channeled stitching though and don't differentiate.

Last edited:

westhill

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade

Brand recommendations for cashmere sweaters?

I don't want to spend over 4 bills so I guess my budget is 400 or under, prefer to spend 250-300

One of the very best, is William Lockie of Scotland. They use very fine cashmere, it takes the under-hair of 3 goats per each sweater and I think they even offer bespoke creations though I've not tried the service. They are very fine sweaters ideal for wearing over a shirt under a jacket, or they offer the chunky creations too, always in very fine quality.

http://www.williamlockie.com/fibre_info_cashmere.php

On a more budget level but much less fine Marks & Spencer cashmere is great for anyone with long arms and washes impeccably on the wool programme. They probably don't contain too much fine under-hair , if any at all, but I've never had one that shrunk yet. You couldn't layer one with a suit though, they are more to wear as an outer sweater,

Moths do not respect highly-prized cashmere any better than the rest so I am disinclined to pay over 4 bills as well.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Either my neck has gotten bigger from serious workouts, or the collars on some of my brooks brothers MTM shirts have shrunk some over the past couple of years, and now some of the older shirts (hence why I think the shirts shrunk, as the newer shirts still fit fine and I don't think they made the neck larger last time around) are about half an inch to an inch too snug. If I have the collars replaced, in the event i do need an inch more room in my neck, is that possible to do?

Thanks!

StephenB

Reaction score
Just received my Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit in navy. I'm wondering if they sent me black?

I have a couple other navy suits but this one is noticeably darker than any other navy suit I have. I don't have a black suit to compare it to side to side though. Anyone else have a navy BB suit? Is it the darkest navy suit you have?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received my Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit in navy. I'm wondering if they sent me black?

I have a couple other navy suits but this one is noticeably darker than any other navy suit I have. I don't have a black suit to compare it to side to side though. Anyone else have a navy BB suit? Is it the darkest navy suit you have?

I have sold hundreds of them. BB 1818 with Trobaldo Togna fabric, I'll bet. That navy may look black until you put it next to something which actually is black. It is very dark.

atia2

Reaction score
Can anyone identify these Lobb ****-kickers on the commando sole? No joy in the Lobb thread...

prettywish

Reaction score
I am going to buy a double monk, I want it is full leather without elastic. i know Lobb is full leather, but I don't want to throw that money. any recommendation? the budget is around $500, and I have wide feed and prefer US E fit.

ovlov

Reaction score
I think I've asked this somewhere here before but never got an answer.

I have very mismatched feet. I have hear it is common for people to have one foot slightly larger than the other but in my case it is so pronounced that I really should be wearing two differrent sizes. I think one is an 10.5F and the other 11D. Obviously there is no way I can afford bespoke. But if I purchase MTO from Crockett and Jones, Edward Green or the like, am I able to order shoes with different sizes for my feet or will I have to just get one standard sizing?

NHKvictim

Reaction score

Can these be worn casually somehow (without looking dumb)?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think I've asked this somewhere here before but never got an answer.

I have very mismatched feet. I have hear it is common for people to have one foot slightly larger than the other but in my case it is so pronounced that I really should be wearing two differrent sizes. I think one is an 10.5F and the other 11D. Obviously there is no way I can afford bespoke. But if I purchase MTO from Crockett and Jones, Edward Green or the like, am I able to order shoes with different sizes for my feet or will I have to just get one standard sizing?

Allen Edmonds. They allow different sizing for MTO shoes.

NoQualms

Reaction score
Best quality slim-fitting OCBDs for $100-200? $200-300? Any obscure brands worth investigating for shirting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads