1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Genevieve0000

Genevieve0000 New Member

What's is the easiest/most efficient way to travel with a suit jacket? Carry on only.

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Wear it. Or turn inside out, fold and put in carryon.

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

In my experience, different types of shoes, open laced, closed, lace, loafers, will change your break too.

1 person likes this.
  4. untchbleal

untchbleal Member

I'm looking for some tassel slippers / loafers for $200 -$300. The only brand that catches my eye right now is Felix Flair. Any recommendations??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mosy

mosy Senior member

As per the replies above, ideally you would have dress shoes to wear at the tailor (assuming you will ultimately be wearing these trousers with dress shoes). However, in a pinch, a good tailor can probably do the job without you wearing the dress shoes, as long as you tell him what your plans are, and as long as you can accept a job that may not be absolutely precise.

1 person likes this.
  6. Muscles

Muscles Member

Considering black tie, if I am wearing a midnight blue tuxedo with black satin trims am I limited to black satin bow tie, black satin cumberbund and black satin suspenders?

7. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

I've never been to a Taylor that didn't have dress shoes on hand.

8. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I prefer having my belt not be the same exact shade as my shoes, but rather in the same family. I wear my snuff suede shoes with a dark brown leather belt often. And I've worn my chocolate suede belt with leather shoes as well. I think it provides a nice variation of texture without looking contrived.

I have some nice belts from Kamakura that are at the 80$ pricepoint. You can call them ahead to see if they have anything in the color you desire.

9. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I wouldn't say you're limited to those choices, but I would say they would be best practice.
    1. The suspenders will be 99% hidden, so you could wear most anything.
    2. The cummerbund will be mostly hidden, so you could wear most anything that is extremely dark. But keep it simple and just go with black. I prefer a cummerbund that isn't satin.
    3. The bow will be on prominent display. Stick to black.

10. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Meermin

11. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I know there is a sales thread but for some reason I cannot find it. Can someone provide the link to it please?

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Which sales thread?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  13. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

Are C&J Connaught worth it at full retail from their NYC store? In need of a new pair of oxfords ASAP for this Sunday. Budget is up to $700. Thanks.

14. Churchill W

There are two:
    SW&D

Classic Menswear

Manhattan

It might be cheaper buying from one of the London stores. Depends on whether you are willing to wait. I hate paying full price.

15. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

Unfortunately, I need them for Monday AM. When you say one of the London stores, do you mean online shops, or the C&J store? Thanks again.

I searched on the forums but couldn't find a better alternative at the ~$500+ price range that was readily available.

16. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

These are seconds from shoebank, and so I know that there will be flaws, but these seem kinda bad. Keep or send back?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Living in Canada I am wondering if it is okay to wear a parka with wool trousers? I know it's not optimal but if it's -20 and snowing outside doesn't optimal get thrown away?

I usually wear wool trousers and a button down shirt to work.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  18. Churchill W

I meant the C&J brick & mortar store. If you call them they are happy to take an order and ship you shoes.

I've done it before if it got really cold, which is like 20 degrees Farenheit for my NY blood.

1 person likes this.
  19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No matter what style might dictate, reality always has the last word.

If it's -20 degrees (C. or F.) and snowing, and you're going to be outdoors for any non-trivial length of time, wear whatever will best protect you from the cold. If that means a parka, then wear a parka.

Normally, even when it's very cold - admittedly, not 20 deg. below, but still well below freezing - I can get by with a full length cashmere topcoat over my suit, maybe a pair of lined leather gloves, and once in a while a scarf. Usually not a hat, but I do have a pair of earmuffs which I'm not afraid to put on when it's truly, truly cold and windy. However, in really brutally cold weather, I'm seldom outdoors for more than a very brief time, like to walk from the parking lot to the entrance to the building across the street. If I had to, say, walk 6 blocks from the bus stop to my destination, maybe I'd consider wearing a parka. Gotta tell you though, a full length wool coat over a suit is pretty warm. And it's longer than the typical parka, which isn't all that bad a thing.

1 person likes this.
  20. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Any idea what causes Shell to look like this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]