• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GarudaAntares

Reaction score
multi purple shirt (vertical striped) and charcoal grey jacket matches with what handkerchief?

AI have a schoolmate's wedding to go to on Saturday and I have no idea what kind of handkerchief with go well with my charcoal jacket and purple shirt.

Any suggestions?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer to all such questions.

Crisp. White. Linen.

Also, if your jacket is a solid plain charcoal, then you probably want to be wearing the matching trousers.

docka

Reaction score
I bought a dry clean only item but there's a strong pesticide smell in the cloth. Is there any other way to clean it without sending it to the dry cleanings? I'm hesitant to send them over to the dry cleaner since it's gonna deteriorate the quality of the garment.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a dry clean only item but there's a strong pesticide smell in the cloth. Is there any other way to clean it without sending it to the dry cleanings? I'm hesitant to send them over to the dry cleaner since it's gonna deteriorate the quality of the garment.
if its a real pesticide then clean it?
if its just a strong smell let it air out for a week or 2?

docka

Reaction score
if its a real pesticide then clean it?
if its just a strong smell let it air out for a week or 2?
It's just that strong odor that you would smell if you were to visit a garment factory. I don't know if it's "real pesticide", but i'll been airing it out for 2-weeks without no avail.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hesitant to send them over to the dry cleaner since it's gonna deteriorate the quality of the garment. 

Excessive dry cleaning can be detrimental to a garment. It's good that people have begun to understand this.

But when this understanding gives rise to an unreasonable and exaggerated fear of subjecting clothing to any dry cleaning, it stops being a good thing. Infrequent dry cleaning, particularly when done properly, by a quality cleaner, is not some horrible thing which must be avoided at all costs. To adopt such an attitude is as bad, in its own way, as being blind to the consequences of unnecessary dry cleaning.

You have a garment which is in need of cleaning. It is dry clean only. So have it dry cleaned.

(Excessive consumption of cake is detrimental to my health. This does not mean that if I attend one or two birthday parties a year, and have a few bites of birthday cake, that I am doomed to suffer obesity and diabetes. Not all behaviors which are ill advised when done to excess are necessarily cause for much concern when engaged in in great moderation.)

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So, I just received my sports coat from Suit Supply, which also is my first sport coat ever. I'm just 18, so I have a long way to go.
I know that I need to shorten my sleeves, but not how much. I am also not sure about the length, is the jacket too long? Is there anything else I need to fix, or should I return the jacket because it's too big?

Thanks!

(I copied this from the tailor fit & feedback thread, because I'm in a hurry)

Last edited:

bobjones

Reaction score
I found this brooks brothers v-nevk pull-over the other day. Does anyone know if these designer samples are worth anything? Thanks for looking. Cheers.
oxQTBp2.jpg

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if these designer samples are worth anything? 

I don't honestly know. But from the photo, it looks like the sweater is on a hanger. Be careful about buying sweater that have been kept on hangers for an extended period of time; they should not be stored that way.

new2shoes

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a pair of AE dress shoes. Everything is great about it but when I wear the shoe, as u can see that's the right side of my shoe, it kind of bends outward. Can anyone explain this?!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of purchasing this Kiton tie:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171051352732

What exactly does "unlined construction" mean? And is it any good?

Thanks in advance.
Ties are usually lined with wool to help them keep their shape and drape. Unlined ties can be quite elegant if made properly. It's usually a good thing.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a pair of AE dress shoes. Everything is great about it but when I wear the shoe, as u can see that's the right side of my shoe, it kind of bends outward. Can anyone explain this?!
So it's not your foot? If it isn't, you might want to try a wider shoe.

bobjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not storing on the hanger, just threw it on there to take the picture with the label showing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads