• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
OK, this one has to be a joke ^^^!!!!!

(Ask yourself "how do I normally remove wrinkles from my clothes?" I expect the answer is "return them to the point of purchase". Probably.)

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Mimo-
Go ahead and give the real Mimo answer- something about how it should be lit aflame because that would simultaneously remove the wrinkles and keep me from having to look at it ever again.

JesPak-
Take a normal white t-shirt and lay it over the tie- lightly run a medium hot iron over it in quick strokes so you don't scorch the fabric. If that doesn't work surge with a little steam and repeat. Take your time and don't let it get too hot or you'll ruin it.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score
^ I'll let Mimo have the glory on this one (unless he's already put Michael on ignore). At least he's graduated to the use of spoilers

PCinDC

Reaction score
I posted this in the Streetwear and Denim section, thought I would post here as well in case someone can help. Thanks for reading!

I have a cream colored Diesel leather moto jacket that I tried to condition myself recently, with less than stellar results. The leather darkened considerably and the finish, which used to be 100% even across the jacket, is no longer consistent. The jacket looks ok, in a weathered kind of way, but I much preferred the look of the cream color, which was unique.

I am looking around for a good, recommended leather cleaning service that may be able to to clean/recondition this leather jacket. I understand it may not be possible to get it 100% back to where it was, but I'm hopeful that a professional service who has dealt with this kind of thing before can get close. Also, since it was natural/cream color, bleaching it shouldn't be a problem.

Any recommendations out there? Online/mail order is fine, but if there happens to be one in Northern VA, that would be great.

I found these through google, it would also be great to know if anyone here can recommend any of these guys due to positive past experience.

DC Area:

http://www.ramleatherandfur.com/leather.htm

http://www.leathergarmentrepair.com/members.htm

Online/mail order:
http://www.spotlessleather.com/

Any other recommendations or endorsements are welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I just bought a sportscoat from Suit Supply, but I am not sure if it is going to fit or not.
However I am going to need a blazer for next week, and unfortunately I don't have many blazers in my wardrobe.
Is it bad to use a suit jacket as a blazer? I am going to use this grey suit jacket as a plan B, what's your thoughts about it?

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it bad to use a suit jacket as a blazer?

More often than not, I find it to be a less than ideal decision. But in the specific case of the suit whose picture you provided, I actually think it'd be okay.

It's when someone asks about wearing the top half of, say, his charcoal pinstripe suit as a jacket, that I'm likely to be hard pressed to keep from typing my response with the Caps Lock key engaged.

GuP

Reaction score
Anyone know the rise on a Brooks Brothers Madison trouser size 34 waist?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a light grey suit and plan on wearing some navy blue suede oxford shoes with it. What color belt would you wear with a shoe that color? These aren't the shoes, but they look very similar:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6854&vid=1&pid=326063012

thanks for any help!

Any reasonably refined brown belt will pass muster. A tan would work alright, a dark brown would be fine, and a burgundy would be quite passable.

Blue suede would, of course, be ideal.

AZsundevil

Reaction score
"Some guy I know" spilled chocolate ice cream on his poplin gingham shirt today. "That guy" tried spraying Shout onto the stain and then running it through the wash, but the stain is still subtly there (or so "that guy" tells me).

How to remove?
shog[1].gif

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you measure suit lapels? Is it across the widest point? A picture would be very useful.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
"Some guy I know" spilled chocolate ice cream on his poplin gingham shirt today. "That guy" tried spraying Shout onto the stain and then running it through the wash, but the stain is still subtly there (or so "that guy" tells me).

How to remove?
shog[1].gif

Tell that guy- do not dry the shirt until the stain is out or it will set. Oxyclean spray or powder and spot treat, let sit for a bit then rub fabric together to clean and rinse. Run it through the wash again and check it. Or- take it to a local cleaner (not someone who just sends it off to a central location) and tell them what a slob your friend is and ask if they can get it out for you.
That's what I do for my stains- which I make a lot of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads