1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Your jacket length looks fine to me, classic length. Are you particularly short though? Like 5'5 or under? A slightly shorter jacket will make your legs look longer and you taller.

2. greene

greene Active Member

Yes I am about 5'5". I don't think it is too bad however I am not too sure of what direction to go with.

3. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

I would leave the jacket as is, additionally, you should post pictures of your jacket in the tailor feedback thread, you will get better info and advice than you would in this thread.

4. sblauert

sblauert New Member

Hi -- I'm Stephen. I live northeast of Philadelphia, PA, USA. Very close to the King of Prussia Mall, which I've seen referred to several times on this forum!

I joined sf in 2012 but had just started a career in sales and had literally no money to speak of, so I couldn't really entertain many of the ideas I initially found. Now, I'm in more of a position to build my wardrobe, and have made it one of my goals in 2015! This past week (2nd week of January) I went through my closet and drawers and threw out / donated pretty much anything that wasn't "classic" in style -- stripped my current wardrobe to the bare minimum so I can build it back the right way.

I'm interested in finding pieces that will last for a long time, even if I have to pay a bit for them. I'm tired of horribly manufactured clothing!

So, a little bit about "me". It's hard for me to find brands of clothing that truly fit me for the following reasons:

- shorter arms/wide torso (bit of a gut) - so many long sleeve shirts I try on that actually fit around the waist have arms that are wayyyy too long
    - wide feet - hard to find a good selection of shoes
    - muscular thighs & short inseam - no "slim fit" pants/jean for me!
    - I'm 5'7", roughly 205 lbs. The extra weight is all in my midsection, I dont' really get "fat" anywhere else

I'm excited to take a look around the forum and interact with members after being gone so long! If anyone out there has the same body type as me or the issues I listed above, I'd really love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks!

5. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Hey man, I'm new here, but Putthison and From Squalor to Baller are two greats blogs I follow that have helped me do exactly what you're describing. Here are links to posts that I found to be very useful:

http://fromsqualortoballer.com/tagged/Business-Casual-Basics
    http://fromsqualortoballer.com/tagged/the-in-between-wardrobe-series

http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most
    http://putthison.com/post/58248230722/the-basic-shirt-wardrobe-i-recently-accepted-that
    http://putthison.com/post/27558524428/the-seven-shoe-wardrobe-the-longer-i-write-about
    http://putthison.com/post/14205779605/abitofcolor-my-10-wardrobe-essentials-i-wear

I hope that helps!

6. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any information on Sarar's Satoria line of suits and sport coats? If anyone has heard of this brand that is.

I ask as their Satoria line is purportedly made in Italy by Caruso and fully canvassed. I was curious if anyone had any experience with Sarar's Satoria suits and if this is true or not?

Thank you again,
    Kevin

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. 77explorer

77explorer New Member

Has anyone here heard of the Waddington brand? They are based in the United Kingdom. I am looking for a leather motorcycle jacket of this type.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does anybody know where I might acquire one from?

8. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Take your time with this. Shop around and find something that fits perfectly. A good fit will be more important than the brand.

Also, if you want to look your best, you must lose that gut. I'm also in the process of trying to shed some weight too so I'm not judging or preaching. This will ultimately be more important than the clothes you wear. When I see myself in the mirror, if the gut is too big, everything else is ruined.

9. Gejus900

Gejus900 New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of eyeglasses but I'm really unsure which one to buy. In my country, the city where I live, they don't have many nice glasses at all in their store, so I can't go there and test the ones which I want so it makes it pretty tough.

My head is oval, got blue eyes, light skin, haircolor is like light brown. I have mostly been looking at Tom Ford frames but I could be convinced to buy other brands. :) I really don't want to have any unique ones because I hate being in center, but at the same time I want them to be nice. I can say that I'm pretty sure I don't want them to be black, I don't think I suit well in that.

I will link a few ones, if that's not legal here, please just delete the links and keep the name on the frame, thanks.

FT 5312 http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/tom-ford/ft-5312/957912/ (light havana)

FT 5313 http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/tom-ford/ft-5313/946468/ (not sure which color here)

FT 5320 http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/tom-ford/ft-5320/967609/ (again not sure which color, do you think blue could be nice on me?)

FT 5319 http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/tom-ford/ft-5319/967606/ (I'm not sure about these ones :). Maybe I would get tired of them after a while and maybe they are a bit "unique"???)

FT 5237 http://www.otticanet.com/en/eyeglasses/tom-ford/ft5237/809095/ (or maybe these ones?)

Feel free to link others if you want, or just tell me which one you think would suit me (doesn't have to be the ones above). I think it's really tough and I want to get it right, thanks a lot!!

10. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Based on your description the more square, structured frames will work best for you. So 5313 or maybe 5320 (I actually know these all too well, I have several pairs of TF glasses). I'm not keen on non-neutral colours like blue as they can be hard to wear, and if your hair is light you might go with the darker browns or black.

I'm wearing 5253s right now, which are a little more substantial than the ones you list but you might wish to consider them for the shape.

11. Gejus900

Gejus900 New Member

Thanks for answering.

I have actually managed to try 5312 and 5313 some months ago but no other TFs. I liked 5312 and thought the light havana colour looked really good on me, but maybe the glasses are a little too deep for my shape, not sure. I also really liked 5313, the structure, but I feel like the dark havana colour is a bit too dark. It's not that it looks bad, it's just that I THINK lighter colours suits me better. I wish they had them in light/medium brown havana, cause they don't, or??

5253 is really in between those two and def looks interesting. Do you like it that the frames are a bit thicker? I should have tried more of those, but oh well.

Ok, I will listen to you, not blue or anything like that then. 5320 looks very nice indeed. Will probably order them and try them out, which colour do you like the most?

Good night

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

If you could only pick one, is a burgundy or cognac colored double monk strap more versatile for everyday business casual wear? Thanks.

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Neither one is inherently more versatile for everyday business casual wear than is the other.

1 person likes this.
  14. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

I was afraid that is the answer I would get. I'll likely get a monkstrap in one of the colors and a penny loafer in the other. Thanks.

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

A monk strap really should be low down on your shoe list for casual business wear - particularly in those colours.

1 person likes this.
  16. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Amen.

Unless you literally work inside the Internet, in which case carry on.

17. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

I don't understand? Are you saying Monk straps are not an essential part of the wardrobe or not something I should be looking to wear as a go-to shoe? I didn't get the joke about working inside the internet...?

18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Exactly correct: They are not essential. They are not something you should look to wear as a go-to shoe.

This is a shoe style that pretty much defines the phrase "dressed by the Internet" in that it hardly exists outside the echo chamber of the #menswear blogosphere. Over the years I must have literally seen thousands of pictures of monkstraps worn by bloggers in their backyards, bloggers in their living rooms, bloggers standing in front of their bedroom mirrors, and posed "street photos" from the garish circlejerk that is Pitti Uomo. I've never, not one single time, seen monkstraps worn in real life. And I work in New York City in the arts & culture sector and have frequent contact with businesses and philanthropic foundations.

Your mileage may vary but I think "not essential" is clearly on the mark.

1 person likes this.
  19. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

Well that was emphatically stated. I appreciate that. In my defense, I got the idea from realmenrealstyle where Antonio suggested it is the 3rd type of shoe every man should own. Then I searched here and saw a lot of people seem to have them on this forum which I use as the barometer of what is classic and what is not. However, like you mentioned, I rarely see anybody wearing them except in pictures people put online.

20. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

If you like them, buy a pair. I also almost never see monk straps "in the wild," but then again, if you primarily go by that, we should all be wearing ill-fitting suits with sleeves and pants that are way too long.

2 people like this.