• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Go with the second tie- but try to find a discount clothing shop and pick up an inexpensive tie if you have a chance.  That one is not great but it's better than the "floral evil motherfucker of a tie" that looks like it was made from a blouse my mom used to wear. 

Go to Marshall's and pick through the ties to find a Brooks Brothers irregular tie. It'll probably about $15, but it will be better than any other $15 tie you will find.

aglose

Reaction score

Ernest Alexander or Property of for waxed canvas, Mission Workshop if u want to go the tech route. Definitely can hold mbp + book since I tried on all 3 brands whilst shopping.

I don't mind proxying property of as well since its way cheaper in my country

Thanks for the advice. When you say tech route I take it as meaning a big laptop. I will be studying computer science in school and will probably by carrying a 17" laptop so the only bag that would work for me would be the mission Workshop she'd line if I am reading these correctly.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Flame, Tyrwhitt are fine. Personally I prefer them to Lewin - they wear a bit lighter but the collars and construction seem resilent enough. With ready to wear shirts, you're always going to find that one suits more than another. The good thing about these brands is that they sell a large selection online, and always have something on clearance. So I'd say go for it - my Tyrwhitt shirts came from an outlet and with a 4-for whatever deal or something, worked out about $25 each. Edit: ties - thetiebar.com has a huge selection; they're not the greatest ties you'll ever own, but it's easy to use and if you're on a budget, it's a great way to get your basics done quick. I have a couple myself and wear them.

Rick, no. Really. $250 for plastic-soled shoes? They might be comfortable, but the leather's awful, they're one step up from sneakers and they look like ****. Get some Allen Edmonds on sale for the same price, or read a few shoe threads here and check out other cheap options for surprisingly decent shoes: Meermin from Spain, Loake's L1 range (English company, but cheaper range made in India), and a whole lot of others for around that price or below. They're all way better than that stinker.

Last edited:

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. When you say tech route I take it as meaning a big laptop. I will be studying computer science in school and will probably by carrying a 17" laptop so the only bag that would work for me would be the mission Workshop she'd line if I am reading these correctly.
Haha no, I meant the style. Some prefer a leather bag since its more dressed up, some prefer ballistic nylon used by mission workshop since its a very durable technical fabric. There has been a recent fashion trend towards technical fabrics and function meets style, like outlier.cc and Arcteryx veilance. The MW bags fits these styles better, hence the "tech" tag.

Tbh your bag choice shld depend on what you wear normally. Also waxed cotton is IMO a happy medium= can be dressed up or down

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ernest Alexander or Property of for waxed canvas, Mission Workshop if u want to go the tech route. Definitely can hold mbp + book since I tried on all 3 brands whilst shopping.

I don't mind proxying property of as well since its way cheaper in my country

With respect to Property Of, at retail you can definitely get better quality than that. I have a few Property Of items (tote and card wallets) and they have not held up too well.

tietherope

Reaction score
Brand new member here and I'm currently changing my wardrobe and style for the workplace. My work is very relaxed and I wore jeans and polo shirts for 6 years (I have no face to face customer interaction), but over the past while others have started dressing nicer, leaving me as one of the few that still dresses in casual clothing.

The change will only be to khakis, with jeans sometimes and button down shirts as below. With a belt of course.

My question has to do with shoes. Ignoring the clothing worn in the following pictures, what are your thoughts on the shoes? Mainly are they too long/pointy?

Thanks for any help.

sinfjotli

Reaction score
Welcome to the Styleforum! The fit that you posted looks nice. You can check the MC Casual thread for more inspiration along similar lines - http://www.styleforum.net/t/253842/waywrn-mc-casual-style .

As far as the shoes are concerned, there are not going to get much love here. I suggest you keep them for the moment, but take time to learn what makes a good shoe, and then get some better quality and better looking shoes.

For the style you are going for, some nice brown derbys, loafers or boots (especially chukkas) would work great. Take a look into suede, too.

To start, you can also check these articles from PutThisOn:
http://putthison.com/post/27558524428/the-seven-shoe-wardrobe-the-longer-i-write-about
http://putthison.com/post/43010205853/finding-affordable-shoes-shoes-may-or-may-not-be

tietherope

Reaction score
Thank you for the links. The shoes can still go back no problem, so I'll browse those links and delay the new clothes for a few more days/weeks. The problem for me lies in hitting the middle point of too dressy and not dressy enough when it comes to shoes with khakis, and of course the fact I'm coming from wearing skate and walking shoes. I'll post if I have any follow up questions. Thanks again.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the links. The shoes can still go back no problem, so I'll browse those links and delay the new clothes for a few more days/weeks. The problem for me lies in hitting the middle point of too dressy and not dressy enough when it comes to shoes with khakis, and of course the fact I'm coming from wearing skate and walking shoes. I'll post if I have any follow up questions. Thanks again.
If you're going to ask about shoes, you may want to include bigger pictures of the shoes themselves. Personally those shoes are too square (literally) for me. It should not be terribly difficult to find loafers that are similar, but more rounded.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
If I was looking for a good canvas messenger bag to take back and forth to class with a 17" laptop and a few books where would be a good place to start? I also considered leather but then thought of how beat up it would get in a dorm and out on campus. Any advice is very much appreciated.
aglose-
Look at http://duluthpack.com/. I'm a big fan of Saddleback Leather, but if you are looking for canvas these guys make a good bag.

Go to Marshall's and pick through the ties to find a Brooks Brothers irregular tie. It'll probably about $15, but it will be better than any other $15 tie you will find.
He's in the UK, so I'm not sure if they have Marshall's.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to greet you with bad news, but those shoes are bad.  Square toe shoes are a vestige of the .com bubble. 
Sorry man, but I'd look for something else.

+1. Shoes are horrid and the shirt is too big. But your first attempt is a lot better than many others' attempts, so don't be discouraged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads