• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AmericanGent

Reaction score

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm inclined to say BB, assuming their fits and sizing works for you. At $1499 for 2, minus 25% during a Friend and Family sale, the price point is reasonable. More importantly, a new grad presumably is less familiar with what to look for in a suit, sizing, etc. While the SuitSupply and Benjamin may be better, there's some value to being able to try on in a retail store.
Actually I went with Lewin. They are on 50% off retail totaling to USD $480 and my country's BB stores hardly ever have discounts, as well as no milanos/fitzgeralds in solid worsteds

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Looking for a size 15 light brown dress shoe to be compatible with a dark navy suit.

This is ideal color but only comes in a 13. Monk straps are cool but not necessity.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-ha...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_D

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of Cole Haan or monk straps or these shoes in general, but lighter brown can work with navy. Not trying to insult you choice- just wanted to be upfront. I think you can get into a better quality shoe for the same price range. If you are a fan of these shoes don't let me talk you out of them!
Light brown/tan look will look terrible with dark navy. You need dark brown. Or better yet, black.
I can't say that I agree with this 100%.
While black is the more classic/standard shoe choice for a navy suit, but I believe that in non-business settings a lighter brown shoe can work just fine. I'm not a businessman, so I wear my chestnut brown brogues with my navy suit for dinners, church and daytime events. For weddings or other more somber/ceremonial or evening events I'd go with a black shoe.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ I agree wtih the above (although the OP's issue seems to be more about finding a size 15 than finding something he likes!)

Brown and navy is fine, since Armani decided it was in 1998. "No brown in town" is long gone.

I would also go for a mid brown instinctively, but if your overall look is a little less formal, perhaps even tie-less, then I would say it's not out of the question to rock your walnut strands or a tan monk with a navy suit. Throw in a shantung tie, an Italian (deep, not too spread) collar and some interesting socks, and I think it might be pretty cool.

But OK, I admit, I'd still choose chestnut or darker myself. Because I'm a reactionary old bastard who would impose spot fines for wearing leisurewear outside the sports facility, and custodial sentences for socklessness.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
Also he specified dark navy, which would be too much of a contrast with tan shoes for me. I wear mid and dark brown shoes with navy, but my navy suits tend toward the lighter end of navy.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Because I'm a reactionary old bastard who would impose spot fines for wearing leisurewear outside the sports facility, and custodial sentences for socklessness.
I always get a kick out of your comments- you crack me up man. And I also agree with you.

TheKongoEmpire

Reaction score
Would it be wise to buy Washington (Suitsupply) and have a tailor change the lapels from peak to notch? I don't plan on using the boutonniere.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Would it be wise to buy Washington (Suitsupply) and have a tailor change the lapels from peak to notch? I don't plan on using the boutonniere.

I assume that this is a tuxedo/smoking jacket. Why would you change from a peak? Traditionally, the peak or shawl lapel is standard for formal wear and notch lapels are for suits. A notch lapel will never look as formal as a proper peak lapel on a dinner jacket.
You run the risk of having you dinner jacket look like a rental tux- just one mans view.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I assume that this is a tuxedo/smoking jacket. Why would you change from a peak? Traditionally, the peak or shawl lapel is standard for formal wear and notch lapels are for suits. A notch lapel will never look as formal as a proper peak lapel on a dinner jacket.
You run the risk of having you dinner jacket look like a rental tux- just one mans view.

OK- I just looked at their site and see that the Washington is a suit. That changes things...

A notch lapel is naturally a good choice; but my concern would be- how will you get the fabric on your new notch lapel to match the rest of the suit? I don't know how this would be possible unless you had extra fabric from suitsupply.

So, even if you could get a perfect match- I do not think that spending an extra $100 or more on having new lapels added would be wise.

Can you find another suit that you like from suitsupply? Seems like a better idea.

Marija P

Reaction score
Hi, I have one question. What shirt color can I combine with this suit (the pants are the same color) And can you tell what color is that, because I couldn't find the right name for the color?
Thanks

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Hi, I have one question. What shirt color can I combine with this suit (the pants are the same color) And can you tell what color is that, because I couldn't find the right name for the color?
Thanks

This is called blue.

Ok, I'm being a smartass-
Looks to me like navy blue cotton "chino" fabric. It is unlined, unstructured and very casual. I'd think you could wear it with a casual open collar shirt with a summer design like gingham. You could go with any color gingham, except maybe brown- and blue might be too obvious, so pink, light green, etc. Even if you go for a different pattern on the shirt I would keep it in the same summer color scheme.
I would wear casual dress shoes like suede bucks, players, etc.

I do not think it will go over well as a "suit"- it's more like a sport coat and matching pants. Keep it casual and it can work- try too hard and it will appear over done and you'll like like a boob.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads