1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

I'm looking for a belt to match black AE Park Avenues, and I've read that for a dress belt (i.e.. with a suit) the width should be between 1" and 1,1/4". Anything over 1,1/2" is for jeans and/or chinos. I'm try to decide between these two belts:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF39501_1_40000000001_-1_

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Leath...?dwvar_854C_Color=BLCK&contentpos=9&cgid=0233

I'm wondering if the added 1/8" of the AE would make it too wide for wear with suits.

For reference, I'm 6'1" and weigh 175.

2. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

I'm about your size and just measured a couple belts I have. The 1.25 in looks fine, but the next size I have is 1+7/16 in (36.5mm) and it is noticeably wider (I wouldn't wear it with a suit). I think 1+1/4 in is the size to use if you're looking for a belt to wear with anything.

3. bradp

bradp Senior member

What do you gents use to apply your shoe conditioner? I know many use a rag or old t-shirt but I find this doesn't work well on my wingtips as the conditioner clumps up a bit in the broguing (I am using saphir reno)

4. The Les Hall

The Les Hall New Member

Thanks again mimo. I have a pair of cordovan sneakers by AE, also got some Church's and er that other cheaper brand by Church's. Forget the name. Anyway, we do so little walking in Dallas that I never really know how shoes would be for walking miles in a day. I really fancy some tan Tricker's brogues, they would go well with my kilt, I might check them out when I swing thru London. But my wife might have a problem with me buying shoes more expensive than hers, but then she makes up in volume. She must have at least twelve pairs of boots!

Back to AE - thanks for posting that link I'll check it out. I also didn't know they did a recrafting service which is very reasonable. I'm going to Florence for ten days so may have to buy some shoes there. I searched this forum and found a bunch of suggestions of stores and restaurants.

I like the tone of Styleforum. Seems like there is little discord or rude comments. I'm sure there are I just haven't seen any yet. Les.

5. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Thanks for the explanation. I tried googling, but lacked the correct keywords. Now I know!

6. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

Could the following fabric (linen) be successfully used as a sportcoat (ignoring grey sportcoat hate) or is it too suit-y? (it's from a suit, but I really want to wear the jacket separately)

[​IMG]

7. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It's totally fine. I could see it working great with black, tan or even white trousers.

1 person likes this.
  8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

IMO, that would make a spectacular sportcoat.

1 person likes this.
  9. Andrew Ryan

Thanks guys, pulled the trigger.

1 person likes this.
  10. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

Oops. Nuke this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Looking for a pair of casual-ish boots for the winter that can take some slop. Seen this offering from eastland and the like. Does anyone know how they hold up? Also looking at some stuff from wolverine etc. This would be to replace tims or to relegate them to truly crap weather shoes. Trying not to spend too much.

These are from oak street bootmakers:

[​IMG]

12. dpav

dpav New Member

I'm considering a MTM shirt based on the measurements of my best fitting shirt, which happens to be darted. There's probably a logical reason that this won't work or else it would have turned up in my searches, but is it possible to specify different measurements for the front and back panels in order to mimic taper of the darts? I'm specifically looking at Luxire, who appear to be willing to take on just about any request.

13. Andrew Ryan

You can just send Luxire the shirt and they'll replicate the measurements exactly.

14. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

Yes, you can specify different front/back widths. Just use the comment field.

15. benvenner

benvenner New Member

Who makes these sunglasses[​IMG]

16. mr0black

mr0black New Member

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Don't wear a waistcoat. Simple gray 2 piece is fine. Keep it simple. White shirt and as plain a navy tie as possible.

18. shiser

shiser Member

Can someone help me identify these shoes and where I can buy them in the UK plox?

[​IMG]

thanks you

19. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Hi All,

Besides Carmina, any other decent mens shoe boutiques/shops in Barcelona? My wife and I are here visiting for the next 3 nights thanks!

20. Anthony45881

Anthony45881 New Member

WHAT IS THE BRAND OF THESE GEEK GLASSES THAT DAVID BECKHAM IS WEARING IN THIS PHOTOS ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]