• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ovlov

Reaction score
About 15 years ago my folks went o/s and came back with a couple of very wide D&G ties made up from old noir movie poster prints (1 print covering the whole tie). Unfortunately since them they've both been destroyed/stolen. Does anyone know if they are still around or where to find them?

sinfjotli

Reaction score
Honest opinion of these?

The leather looks quite wrinkled, but the style is not an awful square-toe, so if you had the shoes for a while and they fit you well, you should definitely keep them - they may not be the nicest shoes around, but even if you had other nice shoes, it is good to have a beater pair that you can wear without worrying about them.

hennree

Reaction score
Could I wear an unstructured suit such as the one below for a business occasion?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The bigger problems with that suit are firstly that it is a fashionable-Ryan-Gosling-meets-Justin-Bieber-in-horror-men-style-mag-KMart-ad two sizes too small, and missing a pair of socks. It's also a very bright colour. "Unstructured" is the least of its worries. It's horrible and doesn't fit.

More structured equals more formal, but that's not to say that a lightly-basted or soft-shouldered suit is unprofessional. I have three linen suits with basting so light it's barely there, that I wear regularly for business because I live somewhere very hot. It's not the end of the world.

But ask the question the other way around: "what suit should I wear for business?", and you'll get a better answer. Charcoal, grey or navy, darker is more formal, solid, pinstripe or chalk stripe is smartest, go conventional with lapel size (between a third and a half of the distance between opening and shoulder seam), make sure it's big enough not to crease or cling in normal movement, and wear good shoes and socks. Light blue or white shirt, and a tie in a dark colour with no pattern or a small simple one.

hennree

Reaction score
^ Thanks.

...I would have worn socks with it for the record.

That one is actually from Suit Supply too! I was just looking for a more 'stand out' suit in addition to a formal suit. Maybe one in a 'petrol blue'. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking.

P.S Ryan Gosling is HoT XxX (I.D.S.T)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
P.S Ryan Gosling is HoT XxX (I.D.S.T)

I'm sure he's a wonderful and charismatic man. But he does tend to wear suits that are too small.

Also, it doesn't matter where it comes from. Once you have a basic standard of fabric and construction, the brand is immaterial. An expensive suit that doesn't fit is a far worse use of money than a cheaper one that does. The best suit in the world looks awful on the wrong person, and £200 can be spent very well at M&S if the cut happens to suit you.

What colour are your suits now? Perhaps we can think up something more striking and different from what you have, that is still business enough to make you look good. Also, what's your line of business?

Last edited:

DrewBru75

Reaction score

The leather looks quite wrinkled, but the style is not an awful square-toe, so if you had the shoes for a while and they fit you well, you should definitely keep them - they may not be the nicest shoes around, but even if you had other nice shoes, it is good to have a beater pair that you can wear without worrying about them.

Yes, I was thinking more as a "casual" or "basic" pair of shoes to have. Now here comes my inexperience...what clothes would work best with these? Chinos/khakis, jeans...could I wear a pair of slacks with them on a more casual day?

Again, I'm really brand new to men's fashion.

sinfjotli

Reaction score
Dark brown derby is pretty versatile - you can wear it with anything from jeans to chinos to odd trousers ("slacks"), even a suit if you are not English, though I'd prefer an oxford shoe instead. The difference between derby and oxford:

Another thing if you are new: Don't rush into buying things too fast. Read the threads and articles here and elsewhere, get some books (Roetzel's Gentleman, Flusser's dressing the man etc.), but wait a couple of months before you feel confident that you know enough. Your shoes are perfectly serviceable as they are and they should last you long enough before you learn about what makes a good shoe.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Not with a suit. Conceivably with slacks, even a more casual sports coat too. Definitely with khakis/chinos. Possibly with jeans but might look a bit like your dad.

Also, get some shoe trees and use them - it will help reduce the wrinkles and give them some shape back. And look up some shoe polishing tips in this forum - those shoes can be smartened up quite a bit if they're well made, and their age and use will become a mark of character rather than embarrassment!

jmemt

Reaction score
I wear a 14.5/32 dress shirt. Brooks Brothers regular fit in that size is too tight in the chest but fits me fine in the shoulders and waist. I am worried that a 15/32 regular fit would be too sloppy in the neck and a 14.5/32 traditional fit would be too baggy. Yes, ideally I would go to the store and try them on, but I live way out in the middle of nowhere. The closest store is 5 hours away. Suggestions on how to proceed? Another brand you can suggest?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a 14.5/32 dress shirt.  Brooks Brothers regular fit in that size is too tight in the chest but fits me fine in the shoulders and waist.  I am worried that a 15/32 regular fit would be too sloppy in the neck and a 14.5/32 traditional fit would be too baggy.

Well, since it's impossible to really alter the collar, or to let out a shirt, the only real option (other than going for a different brand) would be to buy the 14.5 traditional fit then have it altered to make it less baggy.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Adding a half inch in the collar isn't that big a deal, especially as you have such a small size to start with and might yet get bigger. Try it, before you go to the trouble of tailored alterations.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
About 15 years ago my folks went o/s and came back with a couple of very wide D&G ties made up from old noir movie poster prints (1 print covering the whole tie). Unfortunately since them they've both been destroyed/stolen. Does anyone know if they are still around or where to find them?
If you know where to find them, keep it to yourself. Sounds hideous, and definitely not SF-approved. Just because something has a designer label, doesn't make it stylish. And ties with pictures on them certainly aren't.

And while I'm at it, shoes with designer labels are also to be avoided - perhaps even more so: they are either overpriced, terrible quality, or both.

Semi Fly

Reaction score
Dark brown derby is pretty versatile - you can wear it with anything from jeans to chinos to odd trousers ("slacks"), even a suit if you are not English, though I'd prefer an oxford shoe instead. The difference between derby and oxford:

Another thing if you are new: Don't rush into buying things too fast. Read the threads and articles here and elsewhere, get some books (Roetzel's Gentleman, Flusser's dressing the man etc.), but wait a couple of months before you feel confident that you know enough. Your shoes are perfectly serviceable as they are and they should last you long enough before you learn about what makes a good shoe.
Thanks for posting that picture. Can someone advise me if these Sebagos are formal enough to be worn with a suit, when necessary? Although they are plain toe oxfords, there has to be other elements (such as leather vs rubber soles) separating a dress shoe from a casual shoe, right?

I'm not sure about the light (wood?) soles and burnished tip (which I really like). They will mostly be paired with jeans or khakis, but I am looking for a versatile pair of shoes for business school.

decogeo

Reaction score
I have these shoes that I bought years ago with a fairly long split toe. Do the proportions look odd to you ?
Bump.

Maybe my question wasn't very specific. Most split toe shoes I see have a rouned toe, with a fairly short seam on the front. This shoe has a rather elongated toe. Is that a classic design or something strange? any advice on what I can wear this with? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahMcglothlin