1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SuiseyFW

SuiseyFW New Member

I know sizes vary by manufacturer/brand but can anyone provide me with a general sizing chart for OTR jackets/sport coats?

Thanks in advance

2. RazorD

RazorD Member

Thinking about buying a pair of AE Strands in walnut. Curious how much use I will get out of them. What are common pant colors that you guys wear them with? Also, is a walnut belt the best/only option for pairing?

A few years back when in Italy I felt like many men wore black with a walnut shade, but that may have been an isolated thing as I tend to see grays more in use around here.

FYI- already have many staples. Just curious how much these will see in the rotation.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I wear walnut brown shoes with anything and everything BUT black.

Your belt doesn't have to be an exact match but try to get it in the same general area of brown.

4. Mannequin

Mannequin Member

Was considering getting this River Island Military Coat. Does anyone know if the arm holes are low? I've been bitten by arm immobility in prior coat purchases.

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

The odds of anyone here having specific fit advice on that specific garment are impossibly remote. I would submit your question to the following parties, in this order:

1. River Island
    2. ASOS
    3. /fa/
    4. /r/malefashionadvice
    5. SW&D

Best of luck to you.

6. chedsworth

chedsworth New Member

[​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me the type of hat this guy is wearing? Is it a fedora or panama? Would also like to know what shoes he is wearing. I'm trying to do a similar look for a wedding but with coral chinos instead of green. Thanks!

7. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

The hat looks like a trilby shape, made of straw. The shoes are known as Topsiders or boat shoes. Commonly made by Sperry among other brands. The outfit, whether with coral or green chinos, is not gonna win you much love on this board and seems inappropriate for all but the most casual wedding.

8. chedsworth

chedsworth New Member

Thanks Ianiceman, very helpful. Out of interest am I on the wrong type of site? I also thought a colourful smart outfit for a summer wedding would be fine!

9. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

What do you think about this pattern for a summer sport coat? It's wool/linen/silk (60:30:10) and I would get it unlined and unstructured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  10. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This side leans more towards traditional / classic / more formal menswear. Street wear and denim leans more towards casual etc. but there comes a point where the labels become nebulous as there's some crossover and some 'never the twain shall meet'.

As for the upcoming wedding, it all depends on the setting and level of formality etc. a blazer and chinos is on the most casual side of a summer wedding outfit unless its down to shorts and flip flops and Hawaiian shirts on the beach. Cotton blazer with chinos and Topsiders is a very prep / trad outfit - nothing wrong with that for certain occasions. My own view is that casualisation is creeping in to my life both at work and socially, so I jump at the chance to notch up the formality whenever possible and appropriate. A wedding is a great chance to wear jacket and tie, or better yet suit and tie.

If you are trying to 'stand out', remember at a wedding its supposed to be all about the bride (then groom then bridesmaids then groomsmen, then parents then maybe other guests) and standing out (hat, loud shirt, bow tie, no socks, bright strides, red shoes) ought not to be your goal.

If you're looking for a summer hat you could do much better than the one pictured. A proper fedora shaped panama is classic, stylish and functional, need not cost you a fortune and will last decades.

Other things to avoid in that picture are the low rise strides exposing the 'turkey triangle' of shirt below the buttoning point of the blazer. This is never a good look and exposes poor fit and/or bad styling of the jacket and strides. Also you have too many attention grabbers - hat, red hatband, check shirt, bow tie, loud trou, exploding pocket square, loud shoes ... One of these items incorporated into an otherwise more sedate fit will make a statement that sets the outfit apart from navy-blazer-and-tan-chinos 'Californian tuxedo' look, without making you look like a douche / hipster / try-too-hard / clueless mishmash / An Acute Style / clown / dressed by the internet (delete as appropriate).

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

^^

It's very red.

Do you want a very red summer jacket? Is a very red jacket the wisest thing for you to use your money/closet space on?

If yes to both, then hit it.

12. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I personally think it looks great. But probably not a wise choice if this will be your first summer jacket. I mAde a similar error with my first jacket purchase and for 6 months became known as 'that guy who always wears the loud jacket'.

13. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Speaking of loud attire. I am considering purchasing an orange cashmere tie . ( I have a couple of options two subtle check or pane patterns or an orange/white houndstooth).
    It would be predominantly to wear with a navy or navy w rust pane blazer. I think that would work. Could I also get away with wearing it to work with a raf blue suit? I don't need to wear proper cbd as I am rarely in town but I still need to look 'presentable'

14. ingleback

ingleback New Member

Does anyone have any experience with these? They're the Eastland 1955 Stratton, but I'm having trouble coming up with any information about them. As best as I can tell, they're made abroad with full grain leather but beyond that I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

15. ivelinpetrov

ivelinpetrov Member

Hi gays,few weeks ago i have received 2 jackets from my friend who is now not longer among us,so now the are mine, but i have nowhere to use them. I would like to sell them both. The jackets are Kiton Blanc Blue 180 size 50 grey and Cesare Attolini super 150 navy blue again size 50. they are almost new, worn few times. Tell me what can be their price. I can put here picture if some needed Thanks

16. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I can get MTM suits at factory prices so the jacket would run me less than $150 (half-canvas w/ horn/MOP buttons and Bemberg lining) and I have plenty of other sport coats. I was really just curious what you guys thought about that fabric.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

There is the answer to your question.
    :teach:

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That is a SILLY look for a wedding. This is not about YOU being the "dandy" that day. If you like that look, by all means, replicate it...just not at a wedding. No one wants to be at a wedding talking about the "clown" who made a scene with his outfit.

1 person likes this.
  19. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:nodding:

20. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

I know this is a fashion forum but your assumption regarding our sexuality is a little far fetched.

5 people like this.