• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They get damp as you wear them. When you put the trees in, they fill up the shoes and stretch them back into shape as they dry.

Right. Leave the trees out, and you get worse wrinkles. Also, the trees help suck the moisture out of the shoe.

DrewBru75

Reaction score

Just wanted to bump this as it being my first post it was held up.

Need some help!

Only bumping this because it was held up again and I'm pretty sure I'm considered a "real" person now. :)

Edit: Damnit...sorry bumped the wrong quote but if a vet could check my earlier post out I'd be much obliged!

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wanted to bump this as it being my first post it was held up.

Need some help!

Yes on the shoes to wear with a cane and a long white beard. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Please let us know where you live. That will affect the choice of default items to get. As for shoes, go buy some Allen Edmonds on sale, check the PSA thread. Also, get the $200-$300 shoes from herringshoes.co.uk or similar sites. Look for irregulars and seconds, if you're on a budget. If you're fine buying used shoes, I'd recommend sticking to the SF marketplace for now.

Edit: Also, it's mahogany, not mahogeny. A gentleman knows how to spell, not just which shoes to wear.

Last edited:

DrewBru75

Reaction score

Yes on the shoes to wear with a cane and a long white beard. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Please let us know where you live. That will affect the choice of default items to get. As for shoes, go buy some Allen Edmonds on sale, check the PSA thread. Also, get the $200-$300 shoes from herringshoes.co.uk or similar sites. Look for irregulars and seconds, if you're on a budget. If you're fine buying used shoes, I'd recommend sticking to the SF marketplace for now.

Edit: Also, it's mahogany, not mahogeny. A gentleman knows how to spell, not just which shoes to wear.

Tooshay! ;)

Thank you very much for the insight. Exactly what I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'll have to respectfully disagree with what people are writing here. While it might be an out of favor or funky color, ties are there to have fun with! If we all followed boring rules all the time, who would have an individual sense of style, ever! This could go great with a Navy Jacket, fitted blue jeans, a tucked in pink shirt, as pink complements green and there is pink in the tie. And you could top it off with a neutral color like brown loafers and pink or green socks to match with the tie! Would look great, you'd get a ton of compliments and you'd have a fantastic time with it! For more information on how to mix and match ties with your shirts, and on color theory, check out the following two links on my men's formalwear fashion blog:

http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/cravats-untied/
http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/charlie-and-the-color-factory/

Hope this helps. Please feel free to message me with any questions!

I respect your position, but being noticed/complimented is not the same as being respected. And just because something is acceptable, doesn't make it right. To elaborate on my previously stated position: this is the Style Forum. Advice is surely being sought as to what would be considered "stylish". Not fashionable, innovative or humorous. There is absolutely no context in the realm of classic gentlemen's dress in which this monstrosity might be considered "stylish". It is a lime green horror with pink animals on it. Children would cringe.

I'm not at all against a bit of colour, dandyness and peacockery, and am indeed guilty of all. But I'm afraid this one goes in the same bag as novelty waistcoats and clip-on bow ties with dinner dress, or T-shirts with "all I got was this lousy...etc.." slogans. Everyone has an aunt who might think it amusing after too many sherries when some worse-for-wear, red-faced, perspiring post-adolescent stumbles up to her on the dance floor at a low-class wedding reception, wearing such a thing. But it goes with plastic square-toed loafers and cheap cider.

It is simply not the attire of a gentleman. Let alone a stylish one. :)

(P.S. I like your blog)

Last edited:

Septimus

Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think those are the J&Ms that are made of corrected grain leather, even though they have the other hallmarks of quality that you noticed. I'd avoid them.

(I could be wrong. The description says "calfskin.")

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Ive noticed one of the really frustrating things about searching for shoes on zappos and bluefly is that no one mentions whether the shoes are corrected grain. Occasionally I will see the word "polished", which I assume means the same thing. Otherwise it just says "leather"

Should I email JM and ask them directly?

DrewBru75

Reaction score
Honest opinion of these?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, put the shoe trees in as soon as they come off your foot. Either your foot or the trees should be in the shoe at all times.

And yes, don't wear shoes twice in a row.
Oddly, the little piece of paper that came with my shell Alden LHS says not to put the trees until an hour after taking them off. I suppose this is only supposed to apply to shell (I don't have any other kind of Aldens). Does anyone follow this practice?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oddly, the little piece of paper that came with my shell Alden LHS says not to put the trees until an hour after taking them off. I suppose this is only supposed to apply to shell (I don't have any other kind of Aldens). Does anyone follow this practice?

I really belive the manufactures recommend waiting to cover themselves in case the shoetrees are not made of unfinished wood
If you put a plastic or varnished tree in a damp shoe it could be harmful . I think most people myself included agree unfinished cedar or birch trees put in immediatly is the best practice

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ovlov

Reaction score
These
Thoughts on these Johnston and Murphys? I know the brand isnt highly regarded here but its leather soled with a goodyear stitch, and even cheaper than the charles tyrwhitt oxfords: http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-melton-bourdeaux-brushed-veal?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_acc
These don't seem to be that great a deal at $175. I reckon if you spend some time hunting around online stores and SF marketplace you could find some Allen Edmonds for close to that price. I've spent the last few weeks hunting for a bargain myself and I'm pretty sure saw some solid AEs and Jeffrey Wests at about the $200 mark in various sales. Sorry I can't tell you where exactly as I probably checked about 50 sites and then ended up finding a bigger bargain locally instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads