1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bradp

bradp Senior member

2. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

The length of the coat, primarily.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

A MTM dress shirt? If so...try the shirt on with a jacket and re-post.

4. mianmannoi

mianmannoi Active Member

Any thoughts on vest to go with single button peak lapel black tux?

Basically, assuming it will be low cut with 3 buttons, I am wondering if the opening should be U shaped or more of a V. Also, should it have shawl lapels.

Is there a standard format for this?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Low cut is the important bit. U shape is more classic, but a v would be fine if you like it more. Shawl lapel or no lapels is personal preference.

6. ScoobyWoo

ScoobyWoo Member

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Your brother's right.

If you want to wear weird clothes that'll draw attention to you, go have your own wedding.

2 people like this.
  8. ScoobyWoo

ScoobyWoo Member

What about wearing those pants with some eccentric or colorful socks? They would be matching color to my date.

9. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

The question to ask yourself is how high the flood waters are going to be at that wedding or any place you would wear those. If the water hasn't come up past the vamp of your shoes, you're best off not wearing those.

EDIT: actually they're polyester too so you're even more better off not wearing them ever

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. 12345Michael54321

Do not wear them,
    regardless of sock.
    Do not wear them;
    they do not rock.
    I do not like them here or there.
    And as for a wedding - definitely do not wear.

Wearing them to a wedding is an idea I hate,
    even if your socks match the color worn by your date.
    Listen to your brother's rants
    and do not wear those awful pants.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    7 people like this.
  11. Wo Cao

Wo Cao Member

Hello, everyone. I recently purchased this pair of shoes, and I'm wondering which Saphir cream and wax color(s) I should use for these. Due to the dual-colored nature of the shoes, I'm not sure which would be best. The last photo is a (very) slightly more accurate depiction of the color.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

If you're worried about making them darker / lighter, you can always just use a neutral cream / wax.

13. kickscout

kickscout New Member

What are some good clothing company's that supply korean or japanese clothing?

14. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Unless you have $$$ to drop on a new coat a few years later, it seems unwise to purchase something that short. Plus, the button stance is too high because of the previous issue.

I would take Spurious example any day, shorten it 1.25"(slightly higher than the tip of his thumb), and lower the stance. Better than the SS example.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Your position seems predicated on assumptions about the relative longevity and "datedness" of these two styles that I sure as heck don't agree with, so let's leave it at that.

16. 12345Michael54321

Exactly. The one you pictured could have been worn without any problem 30 years ago. It can be worn today and look just fine. And as likely as not, in another 30 years it'll still pass muster in a great many situations.

That's a big part of what "classic" means. Classic menswear is menswear of a style which has proven itself over time.

Some overly short, overly close-fitting, "fashionable" suits and jackets have useable lifespans so ephemeral as to practically make a mayfly's existence seem unending by comparison.

I blame it all on the lime green polyester leisure suit. Unattractive clothing, unappealing art, global warming, the decline in the quality of mass market chocolate, Windows 8, GM recalling 625 thousand cars for having radios that explode when tuned to NPR, the approaching fleet of alien space lizards who intend to conquer the human race but news of which the CIA is currently covering up, etc. - all the fault of the lime green polyester leisure suit. A clothing item which really, really failed to stand the test of time.

17. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

12345Michael54321's response is a bit more extreme than mine, but his perspective is perfect. I know there are other more senior members that hold the same perspectives on short, over-ly suppressed coats.

18. Wo Cao

Wo Cao Member

Thank you!

19. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Who's the maker of the following shoe?
    [​IMG]

20. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

The tree and thinness of the sole look like Carmina, although I am not familiar with that model

Note - I am a Carmina fan, not knocking the sole.... the nails in the toe are great for people like me who are hard on toes.