1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mianmannoi

mianmannoi Active Member

Well, we haven't been to a black tie event in a couple of years. She would definitely very much like to start, and I think I can probably swing invitations to gala charity function type events a couple of times a year.

She did originally make this offer when I was thinking of wearing a suit for the wedding. For various reasons I decided I should go black tie, and I started looking at OTR pretty much for the reason you're getting at, and then I started thinking about MTM.

She brought up the bespoke idea again, specifically for the tuxedo, and although I protested that it won't get enough use to justify the extra expense, she wants me to have something I feel great about for the wedding. My personal preference would be to find something a lot cheaper that I feel great about. But if it is true that a $3000 bespoke suit will really feel different to me then I understand the reasons for it.

I normally drink $12 bottles of wine, and will sometimes splurge for a highly recommended $25 bottle and they really are much better. But a few times I have had a much much higher grade (and price) of wine, and I really do get why people will spend hundreds of dollars for something they will consume in a single evening. There is a level of specialness that I have never encountered even in excellent $25 bottles that really are very very good. It's an experience that sticks in a way that "Hey that tasted super super good" doesn't really capture.

I don't know clothes very well, but I do believe it is possible that there is a similar phenomenon in tailoring, where you go -- Oh man, I never new I could feel this good about the way I look. I am just too ignorant to know (a) if it really does exist, or (b) how to go about seeking it. I won't be willing to waste her money on a $3000 tux if it's not something I believe could be on that level.

2. etostano

etostano Senior member

I have used Ned in the past but now prefer MTM from Ercole's which is a bit pricier than Ned but IMO both a better experience and a better final product. Best to email for pricing - I think I remember hearing e.g. that prices can be different based on whether you go out to them in Brooklyn or to the midtown shop.

Edit: even bespoke from Ercole would most likely run below your $3k figure. From what I have surmised, the same is very much not true of the few well-regarded bespoke tailors left in manhattan.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member

Yes you would be looking at 3000 for a dinner suit from me.

In terms of quality difference between something like an OTR at $600 let me just say that when I make a suit at my price point I have a lot more budget to simply make the suit than any OTR suit at $600 and that makes a huge difference. Without giving too much away I can tell you that I spend more than 600 on cloth, linings and trims on one of my suits and that does not include construction and alterations.

Aside from creative direction, customer service and experience that big budget just really helps me to make great suits.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

David, i'm a big fan of that tuxedo pic, very nice...

5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

^ That is one good looking jacket.

6. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

Proper gentlemen used to pass out from heat stroke rather than take their jackets off. If this were the 1800s, even up to 1950s England, I would say that you keep a stiff upper lip and sweat it out. This is the 21st century, however, and these rules rarely apply anymore in anything but the most formal of settings.

I think it is totally acceptable to take off your jacket on your walk to work, but not at an outdoor wedding, funeral, or graduation commencement. Oh, and the christening of a sailing ship, if you happen to be invited to one of those. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Is it just me or do tuxedos generally look kinda shit/boring/gaudy/plastic-y/whatever. They always look like costumes, and I know they are meant to be, kind of, but not in a nice way. I'm cool with morning suits though. They seem far more interesting aesthetically. Much more personality.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

It's just you!

1 person likes this.
  9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Rented Men's Wearhouse jackets may look like that.

The one David Reeves posted is a beast, and shits all over those rent-a-jackets.

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

What would be the best color(s) for a surcingle belt to pair with blue & white seersucker when wearing white bucks?

I've avoided the dilemma when wearing the full suit by using suspenders or replacing the bucks with tan calfskin but I have a couple other pair of SS trousers I would wear separately, i.e. without tie & jacket, with the bucks if I had a proper belt.

Many thanks.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Doesn't matter, as long as the tabs on the surcingle are tan.

It's casual dressing. I mean, the kind of very American look you're going for with bucks, seersucker, and surcingle can benefit from not being over-thought.

Though of course, navy with a red stripe is very classic. Obviously, anything with a red will work. I might not wear a solid in an autumnal color.

12. michaelyork

michaelyork Senior member

What do you guys think of this 4X2 double-breasted cut?

[​IMG]

I tried on this suit in Navy, it felt great but just looked off. Is it just my double-breasted virginity making me uncomfortable? or is the cut just not right?

13. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

Looks really short.

14. bklyndoc12

bklyndoc12 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding this shirt. I am thinking about sending it for measurements to make an MTM shirt. Any comments on the fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

I went to a new tailor to have jacket sleeve alterations, and he seems to have damaged the fabric.

Is there any way it can be repaired?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  16. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I like it. I assume we're overlooking the too-long pants and the terrible shoes.

Impossible to say without seeing it on you. But if you aren't comfortable in it you shouldn't wear it.

Pipe down, grampa.

17. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  18. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

I'm on the fence w/r/t a (pure linen) dark brown sport coat for summer. It has tan/khaki contrast buttons, and I'd pretty much wear it exclusively with khaki/tan trou and blue shirts. I already have a very light brown/beige SC.

Any thoughts on wearing dark brown in the summer, even with light colored combos/accents? In my head it looks good, but you just don't see it often.

Here's the jacket in question:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

20. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I think it's a good investment. I have a brown linen sport coat that I wear all the time. Besides khaki/stone it also looks great with white trousers and all kinds of gingham / tattersall / etc. shirts that contain white and some lighter colour.

1 person likes this.