• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

rossoz

Reaction score
Harvey_Birdman,

Thanks, but I was looking for someone to do just alterations in the northern VA area? I have a tailor that does OK work, but wanted to take the next step up in quality.

I am very hard to fit and everything I buy needs pretty heavy alterations.

Cheers,

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks, you posted the help while i was in college so only just seen it ;-).

Haha...it was just a general observation; I posted that immediately after I'd replied to your question, it wasn't directed at you!

Anyway, yes, points well made above. I'm just curious how all these questions turn out in the end.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Thank you...there is a thumbs up feature for that IMO.

Is $175 a good price for a Thomas Mason fabric custom fit linen shirt? Keep in mind I am in Canada where things are a bit more expensive.

8bpc

Reaction score

No, match in tone or shade to the trousers instead: e.g. a khaki or olive woven belt with the chinos, or a straight black belt with the black trousers.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking as the thought of a red toned belt just seemed odd, not that it couldn't work in some situations.

Where to buy long, drapey cardigans? Like past my butt long.

That doesn't evoke classic menswear for me. However, to answer your question try Julius or RO.

Last edited:

kushburner

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to wear charcoal gray dress pants with a light heather gray cardigan? A lot of gray but of different contrast/shades. I will be wearing black shoes and a white oxford shirt

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it acceptable to wear charcoal gray dress pants with a light heather gray cardigan? A lot of gray but of different contrast/shades. I will be wearing black shoes and a white oxford shirt

Depends how dark the charcoal is. If there is enough difference IMO it could work but I would change the white oxford to a pale blue button down.

Last edited:

kushburner

Reaction score
Depends how dark the charcoal is. If there is enough difference IMO it could work but I would change the white oxford to a pale blue button down.
The charcoal is like the one below. I also have a pale blue oxford shirt but I thought white would provide better contrast.

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sports coat that I feel fits well. The measurements are..

Pit to pit 21
Sleeves 25.5
Shoulder 18
Length 29.5

There's a sports jacket I like..

Specs:

Chest: 22"
Sleeves: 25.5"
Shoulders: 19"
Length: 30"

It's possible to get a jacket tailored to these specs if they're purchased with the below, correct? I'm OK with the length being longer. Since the sleeves match perfect, I think the shoulder being an inch wider could droop the sleeves too much.

Thanks,

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a sports coat that I feel fits well. The measurements are.. Pit to pit 21 Sleeves 25.5 Shoulder 18 Length 29.5 There's a sports jacket I like.. Specs:
Chest: 22"
Sleeves: 25.5"
Shoulders: 19"
Length: 30"

It's possible to get a jacket tailored to these specs if they're purchased with the below, correct? I'm OK with the length being longer. I Since the sleeves match perfect, I think the shoulder being an inch wider could droop the sleeves too much. Thanks,
It's tough to say without seeing it on you, but the only measurement that matches is for the sleeves, which are the easiest thing to adjust. It is very difficult to adjust the shoulders.

N0Direction

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this tie-tying method is called? I have been looking through some tie-tying apps on my phone and realised that none of the offerings really come close to matching the way I've been tying for the past 10 years.

Unfortunately, no one ever taught me this method of tie-tying, so I have no one to ask. My dad taught me the half-windsor and the four-in-hand, only my OCD need for perfect symmetry led me to develop this method - but I'm sure someone else must have thought of it before me, and so I wonder what the name of it is.

Sorry for the bad lighting in this gif.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The charcoal is like the one below. I also have a pale blue oxford shirt but I thought white would provide better contrast.
I wouldn't call that shade charcoal, that's a mid gray. Mixing contrasting shades of gray is fine, but no way that that one would provide enough. Nice shade, but not with another gray in a similar shade. A white shirt would be fine, though. Light blue could also work well.

Last edited:

vimkgt

Reaction score
Are these a strange last shape for a black cap-toe oxford? From the last picture, it looks like the toe is maybe too square or maybe just proportionally too long in comparison to the rest of the shoe... or maybe it's just the camera angle?

If anyone can identify which brand and last shape this is a knock-off of as well, that would be pretty neat... I'm in China right now so this is one of the few options for decent Goodyear welt shoes, unless I buy Ferragamos at almost 2x the price in the US, so sorry for the watermarks...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a sports coat that I feel fits well. The measurements are..

Pit to pit 21
Sleeves 25.5
Shoulder 18
Length 29.5

There's a sports jacket I like.. 

Specs:

It's possible to get a jacket tailored to these specs if they're purchased with the below, correct? I'm OK with the length being longer. Since the sleeves match perfect, I think the shoulder being an inch wider could droop the sleeves too much.

Thanks,

Not likely. Shoulders are pretty much impossible to alter.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads