• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
By the way, has anyone noticed how nobody bothers to say "thank you" in this thread? People have no manners these days.
uhoh.gif

shimshimhae

Reaction score

The real problem i find with slimming pants too far down is that when you walk, since the top of the pant is slimmer, there is no room for your knee to move in the pant and it ends up pulling the bottom of the pants up with every step. But this may not be the case here. I have slimmed pants by around 2 inches with no problem. I suggest going to the tailor and have him slim up the pants with pins and then walk around and see if it works. If it does, i do not think that it would look weird. 

Also, have you thought about MTM. In that price range you can find a few different companies that (i hear) would do a decent job (luxire is an example, http://luxire.com/collections/pants).

thank you so much!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, has anyone noticed how nobody bothers to say "thank you" in this thread? People have no manners these days.
uhoh.gif
Why, so we can add 50% more useless posts to this thread? I don't need to read a bunch of messages with no real content, just people thanking each other

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Do you miss out these words in any other context, as not being "real content"? I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

But actually it's more than manners: id someone gets advice here, it would be interesting to see what they do with it in the end, don't you think?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm not sure what color belt to pair with the Neumok Red Leather (4075) worn with brown chinos or possibly black trousers. With such a stand out color in the shoe does one still match to their belt?

No, match in tone or shade to the trousers instead: e.g. a khaki or olive woven belt with the chinos, or a straight black belt with the black trousers.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you miss out these words in any other context, as not being "real content"?  I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

But actually it's more than manners: id someone gets advice here, it would be interesting to see what they do with it in the end, don't you think?

I actually would be interested in seeing the outcome of the advice. I just don't think this thread needs a bunch of posts with "thank you" as the only text. That could be handled via pm

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually would be interested in seeing the outcome of the advice. I just don't think this thread needs a bunch of posts with "thank you" as the only text. That could be handled via pm

It depends...if it is a one-off issue, I agree. For instance, when I noobed it up by not knowing how to fix my brass, 3 members helped me. For me, it was important to say thank you as they all posted some pretty detailed posts. Here, discretion is paramount.

Doktor Corn

Reaction score
What are Oxxford's armhole's like in general - high or low? Also, can they be measured objectively in some way so I can measure mine and ask ebay sellers to do the same for comparison?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bad picture...Men's coat? Zipper on the left.
You want to buy that?
They sell nice bathrobes at Brooks Brothers.
Agreed.
Please recommend an alterations tailor in or near northern VA. Thank you...
Tony. http://bestmastertailor.com/
What are Oxxford's armhole's like in general - high or low? Also, can they be measured objectively in some way so I can measure mine and ask ebay sellers to do the same for comparison?
In my admittedly limited experience, low.

icwhp

Reaction score
uhoh.gif

Thanks, you posted the help while i was in college so only just seen it ;-).

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are Oxxford's armhole's like in general - high or low?  Also, can they be measured objectively in some way so I can measure mine and ask ebay sellers to do the same for comparison?

Which line?

AE7

Reaction score

Thanks, you posted the help while i was in college so only just seen it ;-).

I have the same dilemma with short letters and text messages. Of course it is nice to thank your correspondent. On the other hand by sending a "thank you" message you compel someone to devote his time to opening and reading this plain message, without any useful information in it. Should not thank you be accepted by default? Otherwise, the recipient would feel obliged to say "you are welcome" and then you would need to respond with "thank you again" and who knows where this meaningless exchange of compliments would stop.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, has anyone noticed how nobody bothers to say "thank you" in this thread?

It would be impolite to stop at hundreds of "Thank you" posts. Good manners dictate that each "Thank you," be responded to with a post saying, "You're welcome."

After all, if we're going to clog the "Ask A Question..." thread, in the name of manners, it would be unforgivable to do so halfway.

Alternatively, we could accept that while manners are undeniably important, some of the traditional rules on saying "Thank you," and "You're welcome," which pre-date the rise of online interaction, may not strictly apply in the context of an extremely active thread on an online forum with numerous participants. (Just as etiquette and manners originally intended to address in person conversation and postal correspondence adapted in various ways to the widespread use of the telephone as a means of communication.)

Naturally, none of this precludes one from sending a private message of thanks, in response to some particularly worthwhile advice. Nor does it suggest that appropriate public follow-up, regarding how advice received influenced how one opted to proceed, is necessarily undesirable.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads