• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

lostinfashion

Reaction score
That was money Michael. Thanks for that. I'll check out the blazer. About the ties, does it matter if it's a skinny tie, neck tie, etc. - haha man I need to read GQ or something.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

XL shirt size if that helps.

Sport shirts come in sizes like S-M-L-XL.

You want to buy a dress shirt. It'll be sized in actual numbers. Like 16.5/34-35, or 16/32, or something like that. Where the first number (the 16.5 or the 16) is your collar size, in inches. And the second number(s) represent your sleeve length.

If you don't already know your shirt size (in numbers, not just that you're an XL), then find some online video on how to measure yourself for shirt size (I'm sure there are plenty of such on youtube), and find out. At most, it'll cost you about 89 cents for a tape measure.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

About the ties, does it matter if it's a skinny tie, neck tie, etc.

It matters, and is dependent on a variety of factors - the type of tie in question, the lapel width of your jacket, your build, etc.

If you wear an XL shirt, I'm guessing that you're probably not a particularly petite fellow (hey, if I'm wrong, I'm sorry). Such being the case, and given the lapels on the blazer I suggested, you could probably wear a regular width tie. This isn't a hard and fast rule - I'm a big fellow, myself, and some of my ties are skinny, although the majority are not. But without seeing you or knowing more, that'd be my advice to you. And if the skinny tie would've had you looking more young and hip, well, you're talking about wearing this to a business-related dinner, and not to some club in search of female companionship.

man I need to read GQ or something.
Not something I've ever wanted to do, but whatever makes you happy, my friend.

lostinfashion

Reaction score
It matters, and is dependent on a variety of factors - the type of tie in question, the lapel width of your jacket, your build, etc.

If you wear an XL shirt, I'm guessing that you're probably not a particularly petite fellow (hey, if I'm wrong, I'm sorry). Such being the case, and given the lapels on the blazer I suggested, you could probably wear a regular width tie. This isn't a hard and fast rule - I'm a big fellow, myself, and some of my ties are skinny, although the majority are not. But without seeing you or knowing more, that'd be my advice to you. And if the skinny tie would've had you looking more young and hip, well, you're talking about wearing this to a business-related dinner, and not to some club in search of female companionship.
Not something I've ever wanted to do, but whatever makes you happy, my friend.
I'm more wide than fat but definitely not petite. I'll check out the wide ties. Thanks again for your help - I'll be back if things get crazy.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another tie question - do you wear a blue tie with a blue jacket?

You could - a navy tie with a navy blazer can be a very good look. But you don't have to, and may find that bringing in another color makes things more interesting.

For example, you might opt for something like a blue and [insert other color HERE] stripe tie.

azumi

Reaction score
Since I'm a small guy (5'8", 130Ibs) and I want to wear a single breasted mid - length coat, which color is most suitable to me, navy or honey?
Thank you.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I'm a small guy (5'8", 130Ibs) and I want to wear a single breasted mid - length coat, which color is most suitable to me, navy or honey?
Thank you.

I'm assuming overcoat and not jacket.

Purpose? Other coats?

Blue will fill more needs. I'd get this one first. Or charcoal.

azumi

Reaction score
I'm assuming overcoat and not jacket.

Purpose? Other coats?

Blue will fill more needs. I'd get this one first. Or charcoal.
In particular, I want to buy a new single breasted trench coat (blend cotton, garbadine etc) I want to know that whether a mid-lenght honey trench coat make me looks smaller than a navy ones?
I think the navy is more versatile than the honey but I still don't own any kind of honey color coat.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score

Been reading this forum but I'm still lost. I have a dinner (business related) that's not suit nice but not shorts and sandle casual. I have $300 or so to spend. I was thinking a cheap blazer, khakis, white shirt and a tie but it seems plain - I have no idea what to get. Something that doesn't make me look like an idiot would be nice but if idiocy is all I can get I'll take it.
Thanks.

I think a blue blazer is a great way to start your wardrobe since it is so versatile. I personally would save the khaki pants for less dressy days- I think of them as equal to jeans- but better used when boating, golfing, etc. Not wedding or funerals- khakis are sport clothes.
The advise you have received so far is great. I'd only add that you could get into a nice pair of stone, khaki or charcoal slacks for a decent price and really bring the outfit together much better than with khakis. Unless you are aged 15-28, in that case khakis/blazer/striped tie is a great preppy look. Hard to pull off when you get older. Older guys do better with charcoal/grey wool slacks or stone colored dress pants.
Also- it is impossible to overstate the importance of wearing nice shoes. The best outfit can be instantly destroyed by bad shoes. If you want to know if a man has style, look at his shoes. Simple, conservative black leather shoes will be enough to keep you safe- no tread or rubber bumpers.

Where are you located? Perhaps some members of SF might be able to suggest some local places to get into some good pieces on a budget?
Best of luck with you outfit choices!

__
Edit: sorry- My iPad didn't quite get my reply right.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What is the purpose of working buttonholes on a jacket? Costs me an extra forty dollars to have the sleeves adjusted. I know their historical purpose...do they have any anymore?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In particular, I want to buy a new single breasted trench coat (blend cotton, garbadine etc) I want to know that whether a mid-lenght honey trench coat make me looks smaller than a navy ones?
I think the navy is more versatile than the honey but I still don't own any kind of honey color coat.

Well a trench coat is double breasted so you aren't looking for a trench.

The general rule is lighter colours make you look bigger. Darker smaller.

azumi

Reaction score
Well a trench coat is double breasted so you aren't looking for a trench.

The general rule is lighter colours make you look bigger. Darker smaller.
Well, I think you are referring to a classic trench coat. I personally think that a modern trench coat can be single breasted. I know a lighter color makes me look bigger but somebody said that a small guy (shorter than 6') shouldn't wear a double breasted trench coat (especially a light color double breasted trench coat). So, I'm wondering that should I wear a light color trench coat (single breasted) since I'm only 5'8" :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads