1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Jeez, you sound like my therapist. [​IMG]

As for those AEs, the ones I tried on in Nordstroms did that. That model has nothing to it other than floppy suede, which is, well, floppy. If a shoe with a lining, or one made out of thicker leather, did that, I'd be concerned.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I do criss cross on open laced shoes, bar on closed lace shoes.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I saw the picture on my phone and thought it looked like the welt was separating. On a computer screen it looks much less terrifying. It looks fine to me, maybe a little sloppy, but okay.

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Yeah, looking at it again, the join in the welt (in the first photo) has been done rather badly -- just the kind of cosmetic (but not, I think, structural) defect that sends AEs to the shoebank.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. tcln1456

tcln1456 Member

What are some quality olive parkas from $100 to $400?

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

As far as I have been told, if the problem is actually your thighs and not in the seat, not completely. Usually the side seams can't be let out because there's no seam allowance. My tailor told me the best solution is to size up and have the waist and seat taken in. Maybe someone else has a better answer, because I'd be curious to get a second opinion.

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

L.L. Bean's Baxter State Parka might not be a bad choice. A tried-and-true parka from a well established retailer, comfortably within your price range, and I've seen them in olive.

'Course, to a certain extent any advice on parkas will depend on the conditions you expect to face, and the activities in which you'll be engaged. The best parka for a 2 block walk between Metro stop and DC office, may not be the best parka for winter hiking in Alaska. And you've failed to provide any details beyond (1) olive; and (2) $100-400.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Have been told the same.

9. AlCamus

AlCamus New Member

So I recently picked up a pair of penny loafers that have a very thin sole. Someone recommended I get a rubber sole protector for them--otherwise water would easily soak through if I got caught in rain or happened to step in a puddle or something. Any truth to this or should I disregard it and keep the leather sole?

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Leather isn't ideal for the wet but nor is it impractical. Leave them as they are in my opinion.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If the soles are thin and you're worried about it, I'd just get topies. Peace of mind for like 20 bucks and they'll last for a while.

12. AlCamus

AlCamus New Member

Even with soles this thin?
    [​IMG]

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

This last little exchange has made me actually miss Reevolving.

14. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

What would you call this color? It's calf, it's kind of brown, but there is other stuff going on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  15. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

16. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Could be....thanks.

17. bsarosi

bsarosi Senior member

What is the difference between Italian suit drop and American suit drop? I know American suit drop refers to the differences (in inches) between the jacket size and pant waist (i.e. 44R drop 6 means the pants are a 38 waist).

But it sounds like Italian suit drop is measured differently. Anyone care to explain how?

Thanks!

18. free-man

free-man Member

Anyone knows if this "gap" in the stitching of the leather sole of new MOMA boots is a defect?
    Will it shorten the life of the sole?[​IMG]

The shop (in Belgium) where I made the purchase told me that they have contacted a MOMA representative to examine the picture.
    What do you think?

19. tcln1456

tcln1456 Member

• @12345Michael54321

I'd be primarily using the parka to walk around campus in single digit weather, about 10-20 minutes at a time. I'm
    in the Midwest, so we get some pretty unpredictable weather.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  20. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Without being an expert on it, I can't see any reason why this would have intentionally been done,